Game keeps crashing after launch

it was working fine, i upgraded my pc and reinstalled the game and now i cant launch it, its just keep crashing(also crashes everything else withit) other games works just fine tho.

DxDiag.txt (118.2 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (475 Bytes)
Player.log (438.9 KB)

Known issue, see here and here. Devs ignored the forum/Steam reports about the issue for two weeks until I bugged them directly on Discord (holidays didn’t help). We got a “we’ll look into it” and it’s still broken for some of us a month later unfortunately.

If reinstalling the game, DDU’ing your drivers, or verifying game integrity don’t help, then not much else to do but wait for a fix. Hopefully one of those three fixes it for you and you don’t have whatever the larger issue is.

Hey there… Welcome to the forums…

From your player.log I see:

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (2560 x 1440 fmt 9 aa 1), error 0x8007000e
d3d11: failed to create staging 2D texture w=128 h=2 d3dfmt=10 [887a0005]
d3d11: failed to lock buffer 000002AB184108F8 of size 1048576 [0x8007000E].
nvwgf2umx driver component errors…

Looking at your le_graphicsmanager.ini file I see a few things that are important here:

1. You are running at 1440p
  2. You have a framerate limit of 150fps.

From your dxdiag I see that you are:

1. running 3 monitors, 2560x1440 (144hz) 1600x900(60hz) and 1920x1080(60hz)…
  2. LE is crashing with UnityPlayer.dll

These combinations of factors lends me to believe that you are suffering from the known performance instability problems that LE has right now… LE is in beta and is unoptimised so pushing the settings or any combination of settings is likely to cause instability, freezes, crashing, fps spikes…

The player.log d3d errors that you are having are ALWAYS present when people have the performance issues or when their GPU drivers are corrupted/old. You are running 1440p with a framerate limit of 150 (faster than your monitor can show). The resolution alone causes an exponetial increase in GPU resources needed - even at medium quality settings - and by setting the framerate limit to such a high value, you are effectively not limiting LE in any way - i.e. your GPU is likely to be maxed out most of the time and when this happens LE struggles - especially when loading the game and loading new maps/areas… (This is when it loads and unloads between System and GPU memory etc).

LE doesnt need a high framerate - its not a First Person Shooter where every millisecond counts… so reducing the framerate to a point where your GPU has some headroom is recommended - rather than pushing for max framerates that are not needed.

I recommend the following steps:

1. Verify the game files through Steam to make sure your install is Ok.

2. I am assuming your GPU driver is ok but its usually recommended to do a clean safe mode driver installation - not an upgrade as this doesnt always fix problem drivers (use DDU if you dont know now to do this).

3. Backup and then delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini file in your Last Epoch folder - this should force the game to create a default Medium config with 60fps framerate limited.

4. You should now be able to get into the game… If not, then you may have to edit the le_graphicsmanager to lower settings - i.e. open the file in a text editor and change all Medium settings to VeryLow and try again and make sure the framerate limit is enabled on 60fps. LimitForegroundFPS = true and MaxForegroundFPS = 60

5. Once you have gotten into the game, you can then adjust the settings accordingly - Aim for 60-70% GPU usage while standing in town doing nothing - that seems to leave the game with enough GPU headroom to keep things stable… Adjust the quality and framerate limit to facilitate this… Without testing, I do not recommend going higher than about 75fps max framerate at 1440p. At this resolution, I would suggest being more conservative with the quality settings…

6. Remember LE is in beta and unoptimised to it will have performance problems if you are not willing to be conservative with your settings.

7. Dont run any other apps while testing LE for performance/stability… There are lots of known issues with other apps and the unity game engine… so simply dont run them while playing… temporarily dont use it… even things like Steam Overlay (LE doesnt use it anyway).

8. Make sure that you dont have any GPU driver based overrides enabled… I.e. dont set something at a driver level that contradicts the game setting… LE doesnt play well when it gets confused by the driver.

I did DDU and reinstall drivers, and verified my game files nothing changed sadly :frowning:

I played the game with same settings,same monitor and same gpu like week ago, i just changed my ryzen 1700x cpu to 5600x thats all everything else is exactly same, i did reinstall latest gpu driver that didnt help anything tho :frowning: it also crashes my youtube and discord as i try to launch the game

Did you change the game settings?

Did you do a full clean operating system reinstall after changing the processor?

i did delete le_graphicsmanager it didn’t work and yea i did clear w10 install

Did you try and edit the Le_graphicsmanager with Very low settings etc and try that? You can also try and set your resolution to 1080p temporarily and see if it will launch the game.

Did you do an upgrade install over the existing windows or totally clean from formatted boot drive? Sorry to double check… The reason I ask this is that migrating from AMD Zen1 to Zen3 is a big step and Windows is very bad at handling this kind of hardware level change without a proper clean install. Did you keep the same motherboard and just update the older ones BIOS etc? or is it a new motherboard?

Did you make sure that you are not running anything else while trying to test LE?

i haven’t edited Le_graphicsmanager i’ll try that when im at pc, I did install with Windows with USB while doing that i wiped all SSDs, HDDs so i believe its a clean install also i upgraded my MOBO to asus B550-F, i tried just running LE alone that didn’t change anything but yeah i’ll try to force very low settings next time.

Ok… Try the lower res/very low options and see if that helps…

Post your player.log/dxdiag after the changes too - it may have a new message to work from.

Double check your View Reliability History / Event viewer and make sure that there are no messages that could indicate a problem…

Check Device manager and make sure that all your drivers etc are ok and there isnt something outdated…

Check the optional upgrades/patchs for Windows and see if any of them need updating - chipset drivers , audio drivers etc… They can all be important…

There is also an update to the BIOS on your motherboard - its 2 versions outdated - not sure if this is related but bios updates tend to be important and you should probably do it irrespective of LE not working.

There are also some Windows Store errors in your dxdiag diagnostic section - just check what they are and fix that… its unlikely that they are serious but you shouldnt really be having any errors on a newly installed system…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.