FPS incredibly unstable after 1.0 patch

Hello people,

I am having incredibly unstable FPS after 1.0 patch. I had been running LE for 300+ hrs at very high settings before this patch without problems, very high settings at about 100 stable FPS.

Now I encounter this problem even at medium settings: Certain effects or mob density will make my GPU jump from 30-40% usage to 100% and make my FPS drop from 100 to 20. When this occurs the first time, the game enters a loop where this FPS drop will happen every 3 or 4 seconds, with GPU usage jumping to 100%.

I donā€™t know what to do here, Iā€™ve tried updating every driver, verifying files integrity, capping FPS at 60 and even lower. The game has become unplayable for me since I should play at LOW settings and itā€™s not for me.

I have a 2070 super OC and Iā€™ve never met this issue anywhere else, I can handle every game, even demanding ones with super stable FPS.

Itā€™s a sad day for a LE enjoyer like me and any help would be much appreciated!

11 Likes

I dont have same issue but i also get tons of fps drops to exactly around 20 fps all the time. It only happens on online sadly as it seems because on offline my fps is pretty stable.

1 Like

its the UI. Check my video, as you can see moving mouse over items, skill bar, comparing makes FPS go down by a lot (30-40 FPS in my case). This is rly bad, please lets make them notice this. @EHG_Foton @EHG_Kain

https://streamable.com/lxmk5s

Try it yourself, u will be shocked by results.

9 Likes

well I donā€™t have that problem with UI it seems. But since Iā€™ve seen a lot of people posting about different FPS issues I guess the game has performance issues right now and they will have to fix it.

i dont belive that your fps doesnt drop while u move mouse over your items and compare them, check it, record it if u can

2 Likes

Could you try to play in offline mode a bit? I have seen that offline mode works way better.

1 Like

I have this exact issue, and Iā€™m playing in offline mode. I have a 4070 Ti, an i7-13700k, 64 GB of RAM and an SSD, playing with everything on Ultra, had a stable 100 fps through to act V. Now the game sometimes drops to 30-20 fps for a few seconds, then becomes unplayable and stays stuck at 1-2 fps. For some reason, alt-tabbing and leaving the game running in the background makes the framerate go back to 100+. As soon as I tab back into it, itā€™s at 2-3 fps again.

And Iā€™m playing a poison Warlock in case thatā€™s relevant.

The problem also seems to occur more and more frequently (and get worse) the longer the game has been running; memory usage doesnā€™t seem to increase particularly over time.

1 Like

I have now heard from people reporting similar issues, some of them with the 20 series or high end cards. I have tried playing offline and different classes but the problems persist. I have now tried to swap back to my 1060 and I have no problems at all :upside_down_face: Iā€™m starting to believe there are serious optimization issues with different GPUs

I have the same issue after 1.0
Been running smoothly over a year on high/ultra settings but now im playing on lowest and still getting 20-25 fps.

1 Like

letā€™s just hope they aknowledge this and provide a fix soon even if I doubt the priority since whatā€™s going on with the servers

I am having also frame drops and i think itā€™s related to this same problem. I was having stable 60 fps before 1.0 with some eventual frame drop, but now itā€™s usual having 30-50 fps playing monolits. I hope they try to improve performance.

Iā€™m also having this problem, except for me itā€™s the other way around; when the FPS drops, so does GPU usage. When everything is working as it should, GPU usage is somewhere around 80-95% but when the FPS drop occurs, GPU usage drops to 20-30% for a bit. My system doesnā€™t like something in the 1.0 version of the game, I used to be able to play at pretty much steady 100+ FPS before, now Iā€™m dropping to 20+ at times. Sometimes I donā€™t even have to be in a fight, just moving a bit might create an FPS drop. Very strange.

I tried to set everything in graphics settings to their lowest possible value, but that didnā€™t help the situation ā€œat allā€.

My specs:
CPU: 5900X
GPU: 3080 Ti
MEM: 32GB

Iā€™m playing at 4k with Windows Auto HDR on. Game is installed on an SSD. Currently running the latest 551.61 driver, but had the same problem with an earlier driver.

edit: Just to eliminate variables I also tried with 1440p, no luck, still dropping to 20-30 FPS.
edit2: Created a new character and noticed that there is no FPS drops while in the early areas (the fortress walls for example). Just to be sure I brought my main character there too, no FPS drops. So maybe itā€™s only affecting the later parts of the game?

3 Likes

What i noticed, since iā€™m currently pushing Empowered Monoliths, Mob Corpses persist a long time on the ground, hogging ressources like no other, especially apparent on ā€œKill Wavesā€ Echoes, when i stand on 1 Position and kill mobs my FPS literally go down into single Digits, after 2-3 Waves once i moved away from that spot frames instantly jump back up to 100+.

It dosnā€™t matter what System i play on, both PCs (mine and the one from my girlfriend) have the same FPS problems. Specs are Mid-Range PC and a High - End PC.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got an RTX 2070 Super, Ryzen 5 3600, and 16GB of RAM - nothing is maxing out in task manager. No temp throttling. And yet, I canā€™t even hold 60fps on low settings at 1080p. I genuinely donā€™t understand why.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. Dropping down to 5 fps for a specific amount of time and then I am back at 60. Sometimes I just restart the game and it works again. RTX 2070 Superā€¦ no idea what to do. It runs smoothly on ULTRA and at some point doesnt work anymore, also ā€œvery lowā€ doesnt help.

3 Likes

yeah, a lot of 2070 super RTX users here, me included, with the same problem. Not only us but HIGH-END cards as wellā€¦ something weird is going on here, performance optimization or I donā€™t knowā€¦ Meanwhile my humble 1060 with more than 5 years of usage is holding 60FPS on ultra easily and itā€™s the only card I can run LE with.

1 Like

AMD user here, noticed some problems aswell

same problem here, got an rx 6650 xt and an ryzen 5 5600x anything rund smothly till i hit the second monolith after that i got huge drops to 30 frames, and still after i cleard the hole map 60 frames average

1 Like

2070super/12700k here, same issues as the OP
after restarting itā€™s stable, but the exact same thing eventually repeats itself and doesnā€™t resolve until itā€™s relaunched.

ram and cpu usage seems consistent, gpu does not. was able to play without similar issues during various times throughout early access

1 Like

I have to restart the game every few hours because fps drops are becoming absolutely insane, like over the course of 4 hours my fps will just plummet.

Have 141 fps in monolith hub, reaching my fps cap easily.
4 Hours into a game, in the same spot, i will never get higher than 90 fps here anymore.

Combat, 140 to 80 fps typically
Few hours into a game and suddenly itā€™s 80 fps is the best i can reach in non combat and in combat 20-30 fps

Never had this issue in beta, and now iā€™m stuck in a queue because i had to restart the game because 20 fps is completely unplayable and unacceptable.

There is no justifiable scenario where this game runs at 20 fps on a 3090, there is something going on that needs fixed asap.