Error "Lost Connection" when switching zones

I have similar issue. I get disconnected at random between maps. And now there is one location where I can do the same thing over and over again, and I’m sure it will disconnect.
The moment I want to go to Crossroads in the Divine Era -12 BE it disconnects.
So loging in, loading End of Time, Porting to Soreth’Ka, walking to the door of Crossroads, all that is fine, I can stand there for a long time and do a little dance.
The second I go through the door to Crossroads it disconnects.

I even tried walking the other way around, same result.

I began digging in the player logs. When entering from the other side it does go through different servers it connects to, but even then Crossroads is an instant disconnect.

So I’m not sure it’s a pure network issue. It seems it’s (also?) player related.

Using NordVPN didn’t work for me, with NordVPN it completely refuses to connect after the login screen.
I also checked several other things, trace to the servers they are using, all is fine. It’s something internal, the question is, what.

Since none of the support team of devs are awknoledging anything, not even that the problem exists, is just frustrating. I’ve tried to get in contact. And it doesn’t seem that anyone is reading this here either.

If only they just let us know that they are aware of this exact issue. I don’t care if they don’t have the time to fix it now, and it will take another 2 months, at least we are aware of the situation.

this issue has been in the game since their multiplayer release march 9th 2023. not solved as of march 4th 2024.

Same problem, couldn’t get past pretty much beginning of the game… will try the vpn for now, thanks for the tips, guys!

A quick chat with telexicon from the Last Epoch Discord, and the issue is the MTU negotation of the EHG servers. Which can temprarely be fixed by changing the MTU of your network card. That’s why certain tools like network optimisers or VPN clients work.

What is the real issue. It seems the EHG servers ( Google, Azure, no idea what else they use ) are first trying to ICMP before they negotiate further. If the ICMP fails, they disconnect. Now they seem to disconnect when the MTU is too large. Normally there is a protocol in place that would negotiate the MTU, and there would be no problem. But for some reason this seems to be disabled on the EHG servers ( for now ).

How did we get to this conclusion? I tracked the player.log for IP addresses. Everytime I got disconnected I looked up the last IP address it was trying to connect to and then did the following.

So for example one of the servers was 178.162.210.107 when trying to port to a certain map.
This command tries to connect with an “MTU” of 1350:
ping 178.162.210.107 -t -f -l 1350

If it replies with a ping succesful, and the normal latency report in ms, all is fine, you can use that MTU.
On the otherhand if it reports:
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

That means the EHG server is refusing this packet because it’s set to refuse any fragmented packages. Now, normally, this is never enabled. And my wild guess is that the infrastructure team enabled this during the launch days to get things stable. Without thinking about consequences to clients.
And You’ll have to lower the number even further.

How to resolve this is simple, you have to change the MTU of the network card that goes to the internet. Most PC’s that is your only network card you have. In windows you do this with the following command.

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface “[Interface Name]” mtu=900 store=persistent

I’ve had to go as low as 900 for some servers. And since you never know on what server you will connect to, I just set it to the lowest I’ve seen so far. The bandwidth will be higher due to more overhead, but for single connections it’s fine.

Be sure to change it back to 1400 / 1500 the moment you are going to play something else online.
For me, all connections stayed stable. I wasn’t able to play at all due to disconnects for several days. And now it’s all resolved.

2 Likes

I have set up the MTU to 900. First dungeon went fine. Second dungeon - disconnect during first loading screen. How did you monitor the network traffic from LE? Any recommendations, so i can try pinging servers myself?

Edit: I didnt read, sorry -.- it was player.log
I came across a server, that i had to go as low as 750 MTU. See ping 34.159.44.253 -t -f -l 750

Edit 2:
Even 750 wasnt low enough … See ping 34.159.253.23 -t -f -l 700

Edit 3:
700 wasnt enough either … See ping 23.109.112.36 -t -f -l 500

Edit 4:
Running on EU West extensively with a MTU=400 and no disconnects so far.

1 Like

I could play normally until about 2 days ago.
Now the game looses connection every 2-3 zones I try to load.
I first noticed it in MONOs. I would get infinite loading screen every 3-4 monos.
Then I started a new char and every 2-3 zones I get “Lost Connection”

Changing DNS to 1.1.1.1 and installing Cloudflare warp worked for me

it’s always nice to see the community coming together to figure out how to play a game they purchased. we have to go to extreme lengths and figure out work arounds while no progress has been made on this issue for a year.

it saddens me to see players not hold these developers accountable for anything. even if this problem would have been a “release” issue it wouldn’t have been acceptable, but one year?

1 Like

I recived error with 400 MTU after 1 hour in game…
I will try change it lower.

Edit 1:
350 recived error

You cant go too low aswell. If i go below MTU=300, Teamspeak won’t work anymore.

I currently use MTU between 400 and 500 and you get a disconnect once in a while. But it is a stark difference to default MTU=1500 where i could not even clear dungeons.

I’m annoyed by any disconnects.
I’m going to drop this game until the developers fix this problem. It’s unplayable even at 400 MTU.

It’s an intresting investigation, but why would this affect to some people and not to everybody? Because not everybody is experiencing the constant DC’s at map change…

Yesterday played the game without an issue after losing connection trying to log in or load a zone but now today it’s doing it again

That’s the real question, and my own network knowledge is too limited to be able to come up with a possible explenation. The only other fact I have it that I’m on VDSL, and all my other friends have Cable, either from Orange or Telenet. So there might also be a packet difference between these 2 technologies that don’t play nice?

To find the real reason EHG needs to come out of their shell and get a one on one session with one of us. I’ve tried to get their attention and to get in touch. I’m sure we can figure out togheter what the real issue is. But as with most companies, it’s hard to get in touch with the people doing the real stuff, in this case handling the network engineering.

If I find something else I will update it here. For now the MTU trick will do. But I do have the same issue that it first works at 1100 and I have to keep lowering it time after time. So it seems some other mechanism in also in play that’s not playing nicely. As you can’t limit the package size forever. And as mentioned before you normally never should do this manually in the first place.

You are lucky one then. I have tried the MTU and even at 300 I have the same ammount of DC’s no difference at all. I also tried Cloudflare… nothing…

I opened a ticket and they told me that this is a bug and that we will have to wait until the developers fix it. My concern here is that this bug is already there since pre-release… so I am loosing faith and start thinking that their priority is not us.

Guys, after multuple days of not being able to play I finally got it working. This worked for me, give it a shot.

1. Changing DNS to 1.1.1.1
  2. Install Cloudflare warp
  3. In preferences change connection type to HTTPS
  4. Turn Cloudflare warp on.

That doesn’t work for me :frowning:
But changing DNS on Windows and then installing Cloudflare wrap doesn’t make sense because at the moment you activete cloudflare it will change the DNS and it doesn’t allow you to modify them.

I am on cable and have the same issues as you, so we can cancel that out.
However, my ISP has an IPv4 Tunnel that emulates IPv4 features while i am assigned an IPv6 adress. This caused issues with e.g. Anno1800. Maybe it could be the culprit in this case aswell.

Just wondering, where did you open a ticket and actually get a reply? I can’t even get them to talk on the discord, the medium that is meant to communicate.

In-game, press ESC menu and you will see a Support option.

I’ve made several bug reports, never had any answer, whether I checked game breaking/Unable to progress or not.