Eleventh Hour Games | New Partnership

Yea we have to provide them financial reports but we create this type of material anyway, so it’s not a large burden. It’s a very healthy practice for any company.

7 Likes

You guys have done great so far, I have all the faith in the world that you will continue to do so. Thank you EHG for the time I’ve enjoyed in Eterra

Due to the increase in captial/resources does this mean that a roadmap would be updated and more things added to it that were once considered not possible by 1.0? Such as but not limited to:

• Character choice of Female/Male
  • Character creation customization (Not cosmetics)
  • Anything previously planned or wanted to be implemented but never shared with the community? (That was intended to be done before 1.0)
2 Likes

Yes, it really is.

Just because you own part of a company doesn’t mean yo ucan just take their stuff & use it in “elsewhere” (your own company, another subsidiary). If nothing else than for tax reasons. If the “stuff” wasn’t sold at a fair price then the tax authority would, reasonably, assume that the owner was trying to shift profit from a company that pays a higher effective tax rate to a company that pays a lower effective tax rate.

And I’m sure the IRS hates that just as much as HMRC.

You’d have to buy the entirity of a company & probably do a merger so that “their” stuff becomes “yours”.

2 Likes

bet :slight_smile:

Definitely allows us to “do more” and at a higher quality. This doesn’t directly change our content goals for 1.0, though as we bring in more consultants and expertise we’re already finding some things that may be wins that we decide we should divert some attention to in the near term. In the long term, post 1.0, this is probably more significant in terms of “additional content”.

Boardman, for people like you that have been with us for a long time I think you will quickly notice improvements in quality across the game in the upcoming patches. I’m not going to state anything specific as I would rather under-promise and over-deliver.

15 Likes

Oh nononono Tencent

This is bad, I hate to see this

9 Likes

I appreciate the opportunity this partnership affords EHG and the potential good that can come of this for the players. So I guess congratulations are in place!

Having said that, while a lot of concerns in this thread are about monetization and/or control over the roadmap, my personal worries are around censorship. I realize that most players like their games apolitical, and there is nothing inherently policital about Last Epoch. But we live in a world with a lot of political sensitivities and for lots of people outside of the west, oppression is a fact of life.
My fear is, that by partnering with a Chinese company, you’ll have to follow their (Chinese) rules. Which means removing any discussions from the forums, Discord or in-game chat around Taiwan or Tibet, or other things that are not in accordance with the falsehoods the CCP want the their citizens and the rest of the world to believe.

I hope you realize that taking money from a Chinese company, is in effect an indirect endorsement of China’s political stances.

15 Likes

And buying stuff that’s made in China isn’t?

11 Likes

Those types of concerns remain EHG’s responsibilities and completely fall under our team’s purview.

4 Likes

I know this isn’t in regards to the game itself, which I’m sure will go mostly unchanged since they also own a part of GGG and PoE has been more or less great. However, considering only 10 days ago you (EHG) posted about your support for the Ukrainian people and now you’re partially owned by a Chinese owned company and China is a known backer of Russia and their military. I feel like there’s more than just the game that needs to be addressed now.

How do you think this will effect your relationship with your “wonderful team members, their friends, families, and countrymen that are impacted by this situation” (taken from the forum post regarding the current war in Ukraine) and how do you plan to rationalize this decision you’ve made to accept backing from a country that also provides support to Russia?

This may read like a “gatcha” post, but I’m genuinely curious how you can make a decision like this and not consider your team members, their friends, families, and countrymen. This is a very important point to address if you want to maintain any face going forward. We’re not all 12 year old gamers who don’t care about what happens behind the scenes in the companies we support with our money and fan boys who will continue to support you regardless.

10 Likes

I guess every online interaction is a potential teaching moment :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s not like they weren’t planned since the Kickstarter. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great news for both the team and the game, congrats !

1 Like

“Tencent” is a strong word for sure xD
But PoE is going strong after after Tencent’s investment. So I see this as a good new!

This is the worst news I could have possibly imagined. I’d rather you announce that everything is getting delayed by a year or even that you are shutting down altogether.

I have no desire whatsoever to contribute in any, even the most minor, way to the enrichment of a Chinese company that does whatever the CCP tells it to do. I’m incredibly disappointed in you taking that route.

Sadly, I don’t believe there is a way for me to return the game, given that I’ve spent hundreds of hours playing it, but if there was such an opportunity, I would take it in a heartbeat.

The best I can do now it to stop playing and stop telling people to buy this game.

12 Likes

Both? Both. Both is… not good, actually

2 Likes

This isn’t a contradiction to us. In our view there are very important differences between individuals, businesses, and governments. If a conflict breaks out between two governments, we do not take those actions as a reflection of the individuals who happen to live there - in fact our heart goes out to them.

This is an agreement that was made between two teams, two businesses, full of wonderful, passionate APRG gamers. It does not reflect on the political views of the individual team members on our team, or on theirs - nor does it have any hidden political subtext to read into.

21 Likes

Pretty much the response I was expecting.

4 Likes

Good news for the game, probably, as it should allow faster and better quality development.

Bad news for gaming in general, it seems no indie can exist anymore, Tencent, Microsoft and very few other giants are monopolising everything. We will soon have 2 / 3 companies controlling the entire market (if we don’t already).

As for the team, I don’t know…
Good news for their families and bank accounts, bad news for their souls and moral integrity?

8 Likes