Dungeons - boss - frustrating

I don’t think, I am the only one. Please, please change the ending of dungeons in general. It’s so awful to try to beat the boss, learn the mechanics, do one misstep and everything was in vain.
please please give us some options, that we can re try the boss fight a few times at least.
I love the creativity of your dungeons really but have been so discouraged by this.
Many people might not have this problem because they are just really good players. like the streamers, they must have beat Julria several times. I have not been able to beat her at lvl 95 :frowning: and I have watched several boss fight guides. please, this is way too punishing und frustrating.
its either rush to through the dungeon, to get to the boss ( ignoring everything else ), OR enjoy the fighting in the dungeons ( and I am slow, it can take me up to 2 hours if I play through the whole dungeon, then I am not more as sharp at the boss fight and within seconds, I get one shotted :frowning: ( yes I am a grandma who loves gaming )
PLEASE give me / us more than one chance !!!

Hi, what exactly are you dying to? What do your defences look like? There are a lot of people here who will gladly help, but we need more information.

Well, I couldn’t even say, why I am dying, my defenses are mostly ward( it increases with volatile zombie explosions ( I copied the build explomancer), so far, I am able to kill the empowered bosses.
I am teleporting into the ruined area almost immediately and wait until she is following me, by then shortly after I die ( and I have watched the boss guide numerous times)
I don’t have a traveling skill, but my movement speed is 40, by then most of my minions have died too

I am not familiar with your build, but this topic addresses much of what you are talking about. Maybe you can learn something there until somebody who knows much more than me can provide some help.

Remember that T4 Dungeons are meant to be the hardest things in the game right now… So dont bash yourself over the head about being unable to beat them… Some builds will struggle so its not going to easy.

Not sure if you have seen these ones that @Heavy and @CaiusMartius did a while back:

3 Likes

But her complaint is not, that those bosses are too hard.

The whole complaint is about the mechanic, that while someone still learns how to fight a boss, a small mistake not only fails the bossfight. But that to reenter that bossfight the whole dungeon has to be passed again.
So if you are not familiar with a boss, and would expect to take several attempts, each of those attempts has to include passing the whole dungeon which most ppl will take 10-15min.

Lot of time to get exhausted and loose focus on the issues that made one loose the bossfight in the first place.

And providing guides is not that helpful either. Learning things on their own is the fun of the game for a lot of ppl. So solving a game design issue with providing guides is not a good approach.

For someone who is willing to put in work in the dungeon/boss it would even be better if he could clear the dungeon 5-10 times in a row just to have those 5-10 approaches vs the boss in succession, as this would make it way easier to familiarize with the mechanic.

My advice to @djoudimalika04 would be to only approach the tier 1 dungeon at first and try to fight the boss without getting hit. This while tuning down damage output significantly (with minions this would be mostly achieved by setting of gear, or summoning less minions) so the fight actually lasts a while, just to learn the mechanics. Once happy with that move up, as the moveset of the boss expands with increasing tiers. But most of the skills needed for those bosses is leaning to read the tells and know how to avoid the attacks.

Still I would agree that the mechanic is frustrating and the dev’s should consider allowing some shortcuts for successive failing attempts.

1 Like

Honestly dont agree …

There are so few challenges in LE right now that I like that the Dungeons are so hard mechanically, I like that they require multiple runs to learn and I like that its not a trivial process to re-attempt to deal with the boss… I like it that you can get one shot and have to start again. Especially at t4 levels - imho the levels below T4 are generally easy with almost any build able to get through them - especially if you dont attempt dungeons prematurely (part of the reason why keys are not readily availble to lower level chars/content).

I dont find it frustrating, I find it good that there is something to challenge a player if they want to be challenged. Both to test a build and to test if the player can be skillful enough to get through it.

I dont want it dumbed down or shortcuts added.

1 Like

Yeah to go along with what Gany said, my way of learning the boss fights as well as I can, has been to make the most tanky character I can, so I can make mistakes and still learn them. The problem of the design is that some things just one shot you/kill you quicker than you can react at t4, that in some cases aren’t even a noticeable threat at t3 or lower.

The design of t4 dungeons is really good, if we accept that you should watch guides on them before doing them. However that’s not like, something it seems a lot of people want, based on comments about difficulty. People simply want to learn the fights themselves, on their own time, without having to run the entire dungeon every time they die to something.

My recommendation for the moment is to build yourself a vengeance vk or paladin, make yourself as tanky as possible. With vk use anomaly so you can perma stun the boss when you want to test things a bit more controlled, with both you have rebuke to limit test stuff etc…

But yeah, at the end of the day I don’t think the dungeon running part of dungeon bosses should be the challenge/part of the challenge, there’s a reason ffxiv doesn’t have trash between it’s raid bosses. And if we think it should be, then it’s phenomally undertuned/boring.

1 Like

I sort of agree and disagree with all of this. I don’t agree because you have four tiers of difficulty. I do agree though that because the lower tiers are SO easy most people just face tank the stuff and never actually DO learn the fight and the mechanics as they build up to Tier 4.

Idea.

Make the disaparity in challenge from Tier 1 to Tier 4 smaller (i.e. keep Tier 4 as is but don’t step down the difficulty as much on the lower tiers.) Than starting at Tier 1 you can have 3 chances. at Tier 2, 2 chances. Tier 3 and 4 only the one chance.

And for balance sake, maybe each chance cuts your reward in half.

Just a thought, but at this stage I don’t think they’ve built in enough INCENTIVE to LEARN the fights with the lower tiers.

I have to disagree here. My most favourite raid was Dread Fortress in SWTOR, almost entirely due to the explosive droid trash mobs between bosses. Our raid team would make a game of trying to get each other killed by the droid explosions without dieing ourselves. We thought it was hilarious, our guild’s “main” raid team (or team 9 of 10 as they came to be called after they had issues with some of the bosses that our second raid team made up of all the rejects did quite handily enough), erm, didn’t find it too funny on the rare occassions that we raided as 1 big team.

Thank you Gany for understanding me so perfectly and yes, I actually thought of this too, great idea to run the dungeon at a lower tier, yep that’s what I have to do.
It’s like with some of the empowered bosses, after dying a few times, what an awesome feeling it is, when I finally beat the boss. lol, usually I am very shocked about myself, that I actually did it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait … aren’t Tiers 1-3 there so you could learn the fight easily? At least I learned it by doing some T1 runs

Thank you CaiusMartius for your feedback but believe me, I have watched the boss fight guide video numerous times, in fact last time, before I entered the boss room, I went back to you tube and watched the video from Heavy (btw Thank you Heavy for making those, they are excellent).
So no, I am really trying to learn the mechanics.

Thank you AuroraClaire for your feedback.
Yes, I would love to build a very tanky character, I just don’t like Melee play style at all. At least ranged or Caster I love and I am a big fan of minions ( lol probably so I can hide behind them)

Except because of how easy (especially Tier 1 and 2 are) most people just face tank it and don’t really learn it. So, like I mentioned above, their needs to be some sort of incentive and the lower levels that let’s a player know, in essence, they should learn these tactics before moving up in difficulty.

If I died to Julra T4 several times I would definitely think I should practice more at lower tiers. That is obvious.

“I think you underestimate the competency of those on the internet.”

Just one thing about learning bosses… maybe just stick to the lower tiers untill you know what you do and what will happen? That’s a t least what I did whenever I had a “?!? Dafuq” moment.

For those saying to just stick to the lower tiers. The power curve between the later tiers is very steep.
So a Build often can just roll over the lower tier bosses, without really engaging in their mechanics, and be rather weak still to attempt the next tier.
This is especially true for high damage glasscanon builds and those minion builds who often have little feedback on the power level until everything just falls apart.

So as I advised it might be necessary to weaken yourself while fighting the lower tier bosses to even engage with the mechanics and learn how to deal with them to be prepared for the next tier.

I get your point, that dungeons should be hard and challenging. The game need’s even more end game mechanics that push what players can do.

Question is. Hypothetically

If someone would lose to the boss, would you have any issue if the player could still fight the boss, but cant get any reward for it?
I think what would help players to learn the dungeon bosses without dubbing those down could be a training place. Like an echo, or a dreamrealm where you can fight against those bosses you encountered again just for the fight without dungeon but also without any reward, be it loot, the special reward room nor the map progression.

Something like that would not affect your experience against the boss while farming it. But would help new players without being that kind of punishing while all they want is to learn, and not push for the reward jet.

2 Likes