Dungeons - boss - frustrating

Oh boy then remove some gear or respecc your dmg skill or intentionaly damage the boss less. Don’t create problems when there are none :slight_smile: . If people realy want to understand mechanics there are plenty of ways to do so if people don’t want instant gratification and use their brains to come up with solutions.

I dont see a problem with @Gany idea in theory, if somebody is getting instagibbed what good is that doing for them in terms of learning the mechanic. The problem is already their, tc has no idea what to do. Not sure why you included instant gratification or using their brain, that was unnecessary.

If someone says he’s unable to kill the boss because he kills it to fast on lower tiers it’s a flawed approach or thinking. The solution is rather simple: Do less damage and there are plenty of way to do so if you use your brain.

Then again I should maybe stay away from that phrase what is something total normal to say where I’m from along the lines of “Be smart/Don’t be silly”.

We have a system in place that works rather well, play the tiers then grind the highest tier. There are plenty ofpossibilities to understand the encounter if you don’t faceroll it when you are in the ranges to learn the mechanics.
I don’t see anything broken here so I don’t know why people want to fix it.

1 Like

You arent wrong, but I understand it can be completely jarring for a player that shit all over a boss so quickly mechanics arent even seen, to being shit on yourself on the next tier when you actually have to play as intended. In the grand scheme of things I would be on your side, it just feels bad to go into the boss fight after nerfing yourself so you can understand wtf is going on.

I have a completely other look on the topic. Give each key 2-4 revives and be done with it. So if you die to many times the fun is over but you can try multiple times. I think that might be the best thing to do.

I played bosses by removing my “nuke skills” from the skillbar and using a auto attack for example. You still simulate hitting the boss in melee. Same for ranged I simply switched from my lightning build and used a firball still mimicing casting on a boss. There are plenty of solutions if someone wants to get stuff done.

Then again I think adding a fixed amount of “try agains” to the keys might be the best solution. Add a 10% magic find bonus on top (or whatever EHG wants) if you don’t need any revives and the new player frustration should be gone and people have a benefit if they play well.

1 Like

Thats one thing PoE gets right, you get 6 tries. I remember when Awakener came out, I had the hardest god damn time understanding the mechanics, but I got him on my 6th try. If you walk into the arena and get auto nuked with no redo’s, it just feels bad. Your suggestions are logical, hopefully they help the topic creator.

This is gonna be a personal opinion reply - some are likely not to agree.

I dont theoretically mind the general concept of a training ground like approach to fights. Practicing to get better at something is always good.

HOWEVER, I am old school.

A boxer trains his arse off in a gym and practises against sparring partners before a big fight against a rival. He doesnt practise against his rival before fight day and he definitely doesnt get an immediate rematch for the next day.

I dont believe that there should be any “free” practise runs in LE Dungeons. Even if the rewards are nullified on failure but you can have a chance to go again. It may sound harsh, but after playing for so long now, I feel the need to defend anything vaguely difficult that exists in LE. At most, I would agree with exposing a player to similar mechanics so that they can learn before the big fight - like the Time jumping in the Temporal Dungeon - but anything more seems too much like hand holding to me.

Boredom is a major problem in computer games and from playing a long time now, the general trend to dumb down games for a wider more casual audience may improve the bottom line but games, especially in certain genres, suffer imho. There has to be content that not everyone can do else the game just ends up being a mindless repetitive task like packing widgets into a box at a production line.

1 Like

If you have several tries those dungeons will stop being ‘rogue’. too bad. Again you have three tiers to master your skills and practice the fight. If you can’t / don’t want to use them - that is not the problem of LE itself it is your problem of being lazy.

Watching videos to learn boss mechanics is fine, but it isn’t the same as doing the boss fight yourself. You need to learn your timing and button presses as well as just getting a feel for the fight until you get comfortable doing it.

One point that gets overlooked in this discussion is that in PoE, you can tailor your character to be a mapper, or a delver, or a bosser etc. If you want to specialize in killing bosses, you can just buy fragments and kill 100 Sirus or what not. The dungeon system in LE takes away a lot of that customization potential, because all characters are forced to be at least decent in everything.

1 Like

AS a heads up for anyone that isnt aware, as this always seems to get ignored-

The bosses cast timers/aoe sizes can, and are in a lot of cases, different on different tiers. I’d personally advise people to not learn lightless arbor on a lower tier for example, tier 3 and tier 4 are honestly very different fights, especially because the things you could learn on tier 3, if you did on tier 4, could kill you from a one shot.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.