Druid Overhaul - Spriggan Form

Spriggan is my main build, I was a bit scared.
I’d like to see how far from the center some nodes are, but overall I’m very happy with all this.
All that looks very cool! :slight_smile:

The Spirit Thorns look a lot nicer.

Will Spirit Thorns be a new base Primalist skill or specific to Spriggan?

Okay time for the Quiet initial TLDR!

No movement skill is an huge oof! Was hoping for at least phasing to combat getting stuck in bigger pack pulls to allow for smoother gameplay! The fact there is no mention ill assume either not revealed or not added. So there are going to be that clunky nature of sometimes getting stuck on environment pieces or mob density without any real reaction counters play other than healing, potion , regen/ leech options. my major worry here.

loss of ice thorn is okay to me. Does this mean we will get a replacement for it? Does the 3rd transformation make up for that lost skill slot?

Thorn shield is interesting. but flat amount of reflect without huge scaling can often leave much to be desired. Also will it be able to shotgun if yes then flat amount makes a lot more sense seems wildly powerful if that is the case.

Built in rage generator is really nice. Great to have options but already seems like maybe if you want healing totem your stuck with rage per vines. Does that means vines also have no cap? there was no tell if vines are capped now. I know giant vines are capped but nothing said about smaller ones.

I’m happy totems and vine survived that is my favorite playstyle cant wait to sink my teeth into this skill. Thanks for all the Great Work!

5 Likes

Spirit Thorns is a Spriggan Form skill. What Ice Thorns gets replaced with hasn’t been announced yet.

I liked pretty much all your concept arts for werebear and i am happy with the final result.
But concept art #3 outshines everything for spriggan imo. Would have been my favorite by far.
Looking forward to play both!

1 Like

No movement skill because of a Tree fantasy is horrible. Trees cant move at all so that is already gone. If we are going with moving trees why cant they have a movement skill? One class not having a good movement skill is such bad design.

4 Likes

Form looks great, that green skill he is shooting looks satisfing, but wines and this one big one and shield torn doesnt look to me so much apealing its little bit cartonish (wines) and i do not have feeling they are connecting monsters when they hit at all… Just my personal observation

Edited : also whrn he is transforming to sprigan and from sprigan it looks like its doing it instantly, also why he cant have some sort of like underground root movement that is visible on the ground when he is moving in way of transforming to ruts and back to itself when apearing?

1 Like

I feel like the fact this is a thematic design goal is worrisome. I don’t think many/if any ARPG players like the idea of not being able to use a movement skill, or even having the option of using one not included. I think there are many ways to keep the same overall thematic design while including a movement skill or some sort of mechanic that can deal with large packs/mob swarming. Either way, I’ll wait to play it before pressing on this.

8 Likes

Vines creep through openings. Sprites fly. Furry animals burrow. I mean, there are tons of options here…

1 Like

Valetide sounds like an interesting ability, but hard to make competitive. Vale Spirits used to be created from high cast speed and casting Vale Blast, and it looks like that method will be intact, making every X casts of Spirit Thorns be Entangling Roots instead. Could you make a viable Spriggan Form build based on Vale Spirits? And will it be worth it to consume all of your spirits in one go just to make a stronger Entangling Roots cast?

I’m also interested to see if someone can make anything out of a real Thorns reflect build, as that’s not something that has been explored much at all yet.

Druid it is for the next patch :grin::100:

Yep fully agree number 3 looks far better than others

1 Like

True, but Sprites are faries not trees & vines creeping isn’t exactly fast.

sad about ice thorns, i found it a really fun feeling skill

1 Like

That’s another great improvement, visual and gameplay wise except for a few nitpicks and one a bit bigger as others have already mentioned. The big one is having zero mobility just because you are a tree. Other games have fallen into this trap where they lean to much on the “lore aspect” instead of looking at the “gameplay aspect”.

As much as I understand some of the limitations for a Tree type character, I don’t think limiting movement contributes much to the whole idea of “this guy is for sure made out of wood” other than just removing fun/interactive elements like having mobility.

I’ve noticed most developers will either lean into the no-mobility tree-like character and making them either extremely tanky (he’s made out of bark) or still try to incorporate some mobility skill that does feel somewhat druid/spriggan/nature like for example, turning into a swarm of bees having X increased speed and dealing dmg along the way or maybe something like extending a vine from his hand that pulls him closer to his enemies/terrain.

This was a bit of a rant but please don’t lean to much on the lore and forsake gameplay elements because of such. I just came up with some random examples but I’m sure there are many others for having some form of mobility on a tree.

Also the tiny nitpick I have is that the Vine slamming the ground doesn’t look that impactful to me. I’d expected some sort of indicator of where the Vine is slamming and maybe some dirt/rubble/stone flying up (this could be the indicator, it doesn’t have to be an actual line indicator). It just feels a bit floaty like, if I’m truly honest here, like most of the skills in the game. I’m hoping this will be looked at more closely in the future because having something feel impactful makes gameplay feel TONS better.

Also also, the totems just look like regular … wooden logs? Is this something that will be revisited with the inevitable totem rework or?

3 Likes

Entangling Roots: “Hold my beer”

Does it mean it’s moved to Shaman? Or totally removed?
I use it when I level a spell caster, Druid or Shaman. It makes a good fighting skill.
Let’s hope it will be replaced by something as good!

I guess u will not use single big root :joy:

Oh, wow. I’ll be just straight out honest here: I’m a bit disappointed by the Spriggan rework.

I’ll join the general feedback, that the lack of a movement skill might be a problem.

From just the clips my first impressions are:

• Movement looks awfully slow
  • The new model and the new skills look a lot nicer than before, but it’s not that they look impressive

When I compare the Spriggan to the Werebear it lacks dynamic, impact and style. The Bear clips transport that feeling of wildness and fury. The Spriggan clips transport more a feeling of slowness.

In my fantasy the Spriggan would raise his arm and let grow a dozen of vines out of it, jumping against the enemies in front of him, wrapping around them, slowing them and crush their bodies. Or it would form a big trunk out of his arm and slam the ground in front of it.

All the clips shown lack the feeling of impact.

I know that without playing you can’t really tell. But just from the looks the Spriggan is worlds away from the Werebear for me personally.

4 Likes