DPS Meter/Stat, Please!

If you’re going to heap a bunch of very random drops (regardless of whatever filters we’re using) which all have insanely different item levels, gold values, stats, faction ranks, needs vs. others, and everything else in between, please give us a DPS meter and stat tracking.

They are working on showing more stats but they stated in a stream that they are 100% not doing dps meters.

1 Like

What was their rationale for this? They deny us a ruler in a virtual dick measuring contest.

2 Likes

I’m not sure they stated as to why but if we’re honest, it’s not really needed in ARPGs as most mobs get 1 shot that measuring such information doesn’t mean much. I’m not sure why you think it’s a “dick measuring contest” ARPGs have to be the simplest and easiest game genre there is at the moment. Typically ARPGs are predominantly walking simulators where people get a buzz from loot drops. I think “dick measuring” is very much pointless unless there is actually a challenge and I’m not convinced that any ARPG offers such content, though I welcome to be proved wrong as I’d love there to be a more mechanical and challenging gameplay on offer. PoE2 and No Rest for the Wicked suggest such content but we will see when they get here. Difficulty and challenge is subjective of course but I think it’s widely excepted that ARPGs are the chill or kid friendly games. Perhaps in the future there will be a branch off with more technical gameplay but for now, dps meters aren’t needed imho due to the binary playstyle, things are alive or things are dead. That’s about as complex as it gets.

Anyway, off out the door now as I’m away for a day or two. Have fun in your builds. :hugs:

Arena and corruption pushing are the most prominent elements of dick measuring here, although yes, the game is what you make of it, most people probably don’t care about the competitive aspect. Even then, they want to make their DPS bigger, so there is a need to measure it.

Probably one of these. Take your pick.
You could have also searched and posted there rather than create (yet another) new thread on an existing issue.

For me, it’s a matter of knowing my DPS as a CoF member and understanding how much damage I’m doing (or could do) with various item swaps. Currently, we can see stat changes fairly easily, but I’d really like to know my statistical DPS and see how that DPS works while I’m playing solo.

Currently, when I’m out there playing and I get a potential upgrade (I’m level 90 with layered loot filter in place), I’d REALLY like to know my DPS if I do a potential item swap that benefits my character and/or minions and that it will result in more DPS. I’m not here to measure my pee pee; I here to get further into the game and with the best gear possible. As stats exist along with the C window details, there’s not way to tell (that I’m aware of).

I think that’s why they are going to try and get better tool tips on your bar, so you can see how much dps a skill does. Changing your gear then changes the tool tip. Thus highlighting upgrades.

No fun allowed.

Except what circumstances does the read-out assume? None that are remotely realistic.

If the numbers go up on the tool tip, then it’s an upgrade.
That’s all that’s really needed in ARPGs. As I stated before, this is what they intend and I can understand that the effort that would go into making an active dps meter and the reward gotten from the meter is worth the effort at this time when they are investing in tool tip dps meter which would suffice. It’s an ARPG after all when mobs are 1-2 shotted. I think people want active dps meters because they have them in other games, not because they are “needed” in this one. Hopefully they’ll get the tool tips sorted soon, as they are not great at the moment!

No it isn’t.

Simple example: Let’s say I need to spend more mana (or have less mana or whatever) as a result of the change. And I will now run out of mana after 5 seconds of spam. Only allowing me to spam a dummy and get my actual sustained DPS over a certain time period is useful.

A tooltip number in isolation means absolutely nothng.

But if you’re running out of mana that quickly I think it wise to reequip your previous gear, assuming you wasn’t before hand ofc.

My example was perhaps crude. I just mean that a raw dps tooltip number is not enough to truly measure if something is an upgrade.

I understand the need for one, even if I personally won’t use it. There are many variables outside of the skill to fully calculate properly, like stuff that gives debuffs (like the already mentioned ladle).

Eventually we’ll get a tool similar to PoB where you can simulate all the conditions and calculate your DPS. Or we’ll get a tool similar to GDExternals with a DPS counter per damage type. The only issue is whether we’ll have it ingame or just as a 3rd party tool. Based on history, I’m gonna go with the latter.

They wont do it. If they do, you would see how broken everything is lol.

You don’t need a DPS meter to know things are broken. And, to be fair, most of the broken things aren’t even related to DPS but rather to defenses (especially ward).

The reason why games usually don’t include one ingame is because DPS meters tend to reduce builds simply to which number you can reach in it. This happens even in PoE where PoB DPS is the main metric to determine if a build is good or not.

if you want it to be phrased specifically.

people want a stat breakdown DPS tooltip.
so it shows you the full breakdown of the stats in that skill as well as the resulting dps.

an example would be on lastepoch tools, when you move your cursor over a stat, it shows you the full breakdown of everything contributing to that stat as well as giving you a final number.

mana costs and dps are different and would require far more tracking than just showing you the stats that are already present in calculations, just hidden.

e.g your dps is 10k, even if a skill uses your entire mana pool, it will still be 10k per second, if it takes you 5 minutes to regen, it wont change the 10k dps.

dpm (damage per minute) is where mana pools would be taken into account, also only if they want to include them.

lol… im sure this is the case too. because its not like the calculations are not there, its just that they dont want people being able to see or advertise them.

its one thing to have the feeling, its a whole different story when you have actual tooltip evidence.

i think people just want to see the stats contributing to get a better idea of the result.

this will always be the case.
basically an extreme example would be, imagine a game where you dont see anything, no hp bar, mana bar, skill bar, damage or armour.

how will know what you need when you keep dieing or you dont do enough damage in a satisfactory time, and for some reason stop attacking, now you have 50 of each armor and weapon in front of you.

what do you do?

Indeed.

Which is exactly why we need a DPS meter.

Usually they function by allowing you to start a timer, whale on the dummy, and stop the timer after some specific time (e.g 20 seconds) then you read your DPS.

This is my point. A static tooltip readout that tells me some new item increased my DPS from x to x+1 for Fireball is useless, even if accurate (which the current DPS tooltip is NOT).

I need a meter that tells me how my DPS over a lengthy period has changed, when I am playing more realistically: paying attention to my rotations, managing my my mana, all sorts of things. Single tooltip for single ability is not useful; it has to be a holistic view, and only a DPS meter delivers that.

from the games i have played, this is only in torchlight.

im not sure what kind of resource impact it will make, but i imagine it to be a HUGE one when you have a few hundred or thousand people using it at the same time.

i watched i torchlight stream where they said people spend HOURS hitting that dummy.

this is nit picking for extreme min/maxing which is firstly extreme, second, not necessary in a PvE game.

in my opinion you settle with an exact flat value and multiply that on your own.
because what if someone wants it per half second or per millisecond, like seriously, divide or multiply on your own as long as you have been given the correct value to use.

they have so many mechanics that its silly to try calculate every time you want to change something.