Crash on Lagon fight

My game crashed, to be more exact it froze and stopped responding, twice on the Lagon fight. I did complete it once before but that was on the previous patch (the one before 0.8.2) and on a different character.

Player.log (53.5 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (488 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (80.4 KB)

It’s quite tedious to repeat because of the waypoint location being quite far back but I could do it if need be, or try it out with my Void Knight instead of the Beastmaster (which is using Storm Crows, could try without summoning them as well)

Edit: Will try to validate game files, but probably won’t be playing again until tomorrow (at least 12 hours from when I made this post

Hey…

Someone else is having a problem at the exact same place but hasnt tried the usual things to fix crashes as of yet so you are both at the same “start of trying to figure the problem out”.

Steam verification is an important first step as there have been so many udpates over the last few days that its very possible something could not have copied properly or messed up…

Your use of the new Storm Crows could be a cause but its doubtful… I’d file that one to the side for now and consider it again if nothing else works…

Your Dxdiag indicates that your OS should be up to date … Your graphics drivers is from Feb and there were some problems in April re drivers & windows updates causing issues so it may be worthwhile checking for a new driver from May…

At the end of your dxdiag there is a diagnostic section showing the errors on your machine that have happened most recently… I see the Last Epoch hanging ones - no real indication there about why (that I can see anyway)… However there are some others that could be an issue:

CLR20r3 - usually refers to corrupted system or application files and if its system files then there could indicate a problem… VoiceControlEngine.exe comes up which is part of MSI Dragon Centre and consider what that app is for, if its unstable then it could be affecting your system…

MoUsoCoreWorker.exe - This is a file from Windows Update that can cause a variety of things but it also indicates that Windows Update might be failing or having an issue - again… not great if something affecting your system cannot update properly. StoreAgentInstallFailure1 is also related to Updates on your system…

There are also Hang errors related to explorer.exe - obviously thats Windows File Explorer and if its hanging then that is definitely not a good sign for your system stability…

Considering the number of Windows related errors, I would double check that Windows Update is not showing errors and check the Windows error logs for anything that could indicate what is wrong or failing…

I would also consider running System File Checker to confirm that there are not messed up windows files…

From a in-game setting perspective things look ok… you are not running things using high settings so should not be subject to the performance instability that LE has even though you are using a higher res… Only things I would suggest is to consider dropping down the grass and checking if/how that affects things. I would also monitor your GPU usage and if its getting flatlined close to 90-100% you may want to drop the framerate limit from 144 down a little… From discussing this with people running 3080s at your resolution - they are finding 120fps is the more stable choice with Medium settings… I personally only have a 1060 but have found that even minor fps limit changes can make quite a large difference to the GPU usage and keep everything much more stable…

One last thing… make sure you are not running anything else while trying to play… Things like steam overlays, graphics card overlays etc … even seeminly irrelevent things - just for testing, disable or dont run anything for now…

Ah… The other guy having the same problem resolved it by updating his windows & drivers and changing his graphic settings - you can read his thread from the link above.

Even if one of the other suggestions works, I would still consider fixing the issues that your dxdiag shows tho…

Thanks for the extensive reply, I’ll have a look at that tomorrow.

Will keep an eye on the other thread, though mine has not even reached the third stage of that fight, it crashed almost right away on both occassions (within 30 secs of starting to actually damage him).

1 Like

Managed to sneak in a bit more game time, still crashing.

-Didn’t realise Dragon Center was such bloatware it left things running despite rarely using it, uninstalled.
-Updated GPU drivers.
-Checked Windows update, had some updates, did those, didn’t see any recent failed updates.
-Fully reinstalled the game to be sure, figured it wouldn’t take that long.

Still froze on the first stage, though seemed to take a bit longer than before.

As for the explorer errors, pretty sure those are from fiddling with a NAS recently, didn’t quite work so removed it, but explorer really didn’t like the network folder I added to quick access, took some effort and a few freezes to remove those.

Edit: Forgot about the player log, hope just restarting the game again didn’t overwrite it (included previous log just in case that’d help)
Player.log (11.0 KB)
Player-prev.log (52.0 KB)

Edit 2: Tried using Void Knight, still crashing so I guess the Storm Crows are out as a cause.
Player.log (51.3 KB)

Edit 3 (truly the last one of the day): Set graphics settings to low, limited FPS to 60, still crashed
le_graphicsmanager.ini (465 Bytes)
Player.log (53.2 KB)

GPU temps and usage seemed perfectly fine (the 100% usage was in the menu before editing the settings, the drop to 0% was it freezing)
https://imgur.com/a/wTrjHtQ

Hmm… Hate it when similar problems dont have one solution… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dragon Centre… yip… crap of the highest order unfortunately… I use MSI Afterburner so I dont know why their Dragon centre has to be so bad in comparison.

You said you reinstalled - did you still do the file verification process? Reason I ask is that a lot of people are finding that even on new installs Steam is still finding files to fix - illogical but its happening.

Did you also run the sfc process? I find that when dxdiag is reporting update issues, running Windows Update doesnt tend to solve things on its own. i.e. the update process is fishy so you cannot be sure that Windows Update is running properly even when it seems to indicate it is… Hope that make sense.

On the same note… please check for KB5001330 and KB5001337 in the Windows Update history and uninstall them. These caused odd issues with games etc when they dropped in April… Microsoft have updated these with subsequent patches but if your system - with its update issue - hasnt fixed it, they could be messing things up still…

Explorer / NAS … ok… if you have reason for the crashes then thats ok.

Player.logs… Not a Unity developer so I can only skim them - nothing seems to show anything out of the ordinary - with the hanging rather than crashing, the game isnt generating crash error messages which are usually in the log and help isolate the problem

EDIT: A new 0.8.2E patch is live… Please update and run the steam verification after to confirm the game is using all the newest files…

The only reason Afterburner isn’t garbage is because they had Rivatuner to base it on.

I did do the verification, ran it again just now just to be sure, no errors (both times I ran it).

Ran SFC, it did fix some errors.

Actually can’t find either of those Windows Updates, but maybe I’m just missing something…
https://imgur.com/a/T7RBlFh

Edit: I actually can see KB5001330 in the list of previously installed updates, just not the Uninstall updates window

I think I was running that patch on the last try, just booted my PC for the first time today and not seeing any Last Epoch downloads in Steam, going to give it another go, at least if nothing else is working I can still run the Monolith…

rivatuner - you are right.
Verification - great.
sfc - great. fixed things - doubly great.

hmm. KB5001330… a bit worried about that one - if you do a google you will see what kinds of issues it causes - not great for gaming - and how to manually correct it.

It’s currently frozen again, as a side note, as opposed to when I killed him pre-0.8.2 his health bar has been missing every single time.

I’ll give it a bit longer to see if I can actually force a crash and dig around to see if I can get rid of that Windows update.

Edit: It never properly crashed, just remained frozen for 26 minutes, I’ll include a player log anyway.
Player.log (62.3 KB)

Managed to manually uninstall KB5001330 using command prompt, guess I’ll give it another go.

Edit 2: Still freezing, double checked and KB5001330 has not reinstalled/paused Windows update to make sure that doesn’t sneak back in while trying to fix things.
Player.log (52.0 KB)

Think I’ve identified the problem! In a last desperate attempt to exclude everything, the only other thing that was different compared to the last time I beat him, I was using a controller.

NOT using the controller got me through the fight without any issues. Obviously only a workaround not a true solution, but at least it might get someone else through that fight.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I was also immediately able to see the health bar this time.

And thanks for all the help @vapourfire

Ah. thats a change that I probably would never had considered. The devs made lots of controller updates for 0.8.2 specifially…

Important PLEASE can you open a short thread in the bug section - titled something like “Controller causes crashes in Lagon on 0.8.2” - then a brief explaination of the problem with the workaround of not using the controller and a link back to this thread for reference as to everything you tried…

Just something short so that the devs can get a bug problem to try and reproduce and potentially solve…

Thanks

:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.