Controller Support Feedback

Hello @Moxjet200 , great examples of controller use will be Diablo 3 (PC & Console) and Path of Exile - POE (Consoles).

Some examples, just hovering equipment will compare the item with with items you have currently equipped on that gear slot.

With Inventory, the DPad servers are more precise than the analog sticks.

When in conversations, the X button will advance the conversations, I think the DPad can be used during the conversations to navigate between the choices, and O to back out.

The Auto-aim to the nearest pack within the direction you are facing when you use an attack / debuff skill is a god send as it allows you to strafe and dodge in one direction. Right now with the analog stick, it’s not precise enough to target your skill, so any auto-aim will be a great enhancement.

Right-click on an item in your inventory can allow you to move an item to and from your stash. For vendors, Right-click an item will allow you to vendor it.

Good write up. After over 20 years of playing ARPGs with a keyboard and mouse, I find controllers to feel more fun, and visceral for games like this.

In addition to all the great feedback in this thread I would like to add one more feature that I’m not sure has been mentioned yet: Autocasting

If this game will allow autocasting (which seems to be required for quite a few builds), then it needs to be built into the UI in some way and useable with controllers. As it stands, even if I do the NUMLOCK trick then pick up the controller, the controller does not function correctly at all.

Here’s hoping you guys can get this implemented at a later date. Thanks!

Hey everyone, thanks for the continued great suggestions. One piece of functionality I’m very excited to share with you all in 0.8.2 is the ability to pick up items without moving the virtual cursor over them. This is being changed to smart area detection and you’ll be able to cycle through items on the ground by pressing up or down on the d-pad. We’ve put plenty of testing and love in to this functionality which helps moment to moment gameplay quite a bit. I’ll continue to poke around for feedback on this after it’s released in the late May (082) patch.

9 Likes

This should be a huge improvement to the overall gameplay experience with a controller. I’m looking forward to testing it. Keep up the great work. :smiley:

This is exactly what just recently happened to me. After decades of playing with K/M, I found myself getting bored of ARPGs and the gameplay mechanics.

Then, I just installed Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr and I give it a try to the controller support, and I had a blast with it, the gameplay was more active and required more of my attention, instead of beign an autopilot thing that how felt ARPGs these days. Immediately bought the classic; Titan Quest Legendary Edition for my Ipad and I’m having a blast! And that’s exactly why I came here, I played this game a little bit a long time ago, but I will totally give it a try again with my controller.

What I’ve realized tho, is that there’s no yet a standard button mapping for ARPGs games and gamepads. Inquisitor Martyr (my favorite button mapping yet) is very different from the Titan Quest one, and probably different from Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn.

Anyway, thank you to the devs for the controller support!

1 Like

Nice. been playing with the ps4 controller. i like the sound of this patch late may. sounds great to pick stuff up easer without curser. thanks for improvments

So, I’ve tried the controller support for the game, and sadly to this moment, it doesn’t seem to be really playable.

I’ve tried Grim Dawn controller support and it’s really impressive. Even better than Titan Quest and Warhammer Inquisitor. I’m sure you’re all aware of this, but GD would be a nice template for the controller support.

Anyway, I would try the game again when 0.8.2 arrives! :smiley:

It is playable, just not optimal

I only play this game on a controller and its mostly pretty good, theres no content you cannot do. Theres a few builds that are far better on a mouse but other builds like Warpath imo are much better on a controller but yes you have to manually pick up every item by using the mouse - which makes me have an extremely strict loot filter almost mandatory. I played without loot filters in this game when it didnt have auto targetting and still ‘worked’

edit: ive played LE for 996 hours for context, have about 14-16 characters of various types and I think two highest characters are lv 95/96, so definitely possible to do anything in the game currently

1 Like

Nice, thank you for the answer!

If it’s not too much trouble, could you post your button configuration please?

I am at work and will probably forget later however I have a few youtube videos recorded at various times I can link which shows my button setups

edit:

first video recorded August 2019 - Last Epoch - Controller play - YouTube

these videos recorded a few months ago with zero changes - Last Epoch Vale Blasting Spriggan - YouTube

Last Epoch Hybrid Spriggan/Werebear Form - YouTube

You can see the buttons changes when im using the mouse instead of the controller but generally its -

Potion on LB, Teleport/Dash skill on RB, usually some buff on Y, damage skills on A/X. I think I have ‘move’ on Dpad down which clicks Left mouse. I think Dpad up is the Map button. When playing Minions I use ‘A’ on move/attack for companions. theres more im probably missing

but yes all menu-ing is done on a mouse but all combat on a controller

2 Likes

Hey. thank you very much! Those videos helped me a lot!

While mostly liking the new controller support, there is an issue with cycling through the items on the ground and the overlay map.

As soon as the overlay map is up you start moving that instead of cycling through the items, while it is quick and easy to disable the overlay map it does feel a bit awkward when you’re used to playing with it constantly up.

Other than that, the cursor now hiding on move is great, but because you can’t tell where it is, it can end up being on top of UI elements/buttons, when it’s there it can make it impossible to actually use your skills. It took me a while to figure out this was causing issues and I can see it cause quite a bit of confusion.

I checked and this is the case for all skill buttons, the menu, chat, town portal, map, minimise quest and both minimap resize buttons. It does not matter which skill you attempt to use.

(In case it matters I’m using an xbox 360 controller and have not changed any controller settings)

Edit: Related to the latter issue, this is made worse by your cursor being left about where the skills are when you fast travel, because that’s where the button is on the map, at 1440p in case scaling makes a difference here. So if you teleport in you have a high chance of being unable to directly use your skills without moving the cursor.

Controller is something I’m thankful for. I return now and then to see if the controller support makes the game really enjoyable for me.

It has improved, but there is a lot of work to do here. Let me highlight some of the things it needs right now:

• Map: it really needs some improvement here: allow to move around the map with one thumbstick and put a small crosshair to control with the other and select things to see additional popup info. Zoom-in or zoom-out can be done with L1/R1 buttons.

• Inventory: for starters, move around the items in the inventory screen by using the cross in the controller. Pressing “A” should toggle a number of options. You can check how games such as Grim Dawn or Diablo 3 (console version) work to have an idea.

• Interaction with NPCs: allow to scroll through the options/answers in the dialogue with the cross in the controller.

These three QoL improvements will make the game a lot more enjoyable with a controller. I’ll keep an eye on this game to see controller improvements and try them out as they are released on new patches. I don’t really want to enjoy the full Last Epoch experience until the controller support has been refined and improved.

One last comment: same as with other games such as Path of Exile, this game truly needs a character creator and while I see this hardly ever coming as classes are character-locked, I would still love to see that happening.

I want to play as a male necromancer, but game is gender locked and that has proven to never be a good idea.

Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Black Desert… you get the idea. Gender-locking or character-locking a class is never good for any RPG game. Most players want to create their own characters.

Just started playing and love this game. Feedback is from the view of someone who plays exclusively on controller because of wrist pain and has played lots of games with a controller. TLDR, it’s pretty good, combat is good (almost great), interfaces are an opportunity.

1. Combat - overall, pretty damn good, only thing that I can see can be immediately improved is forced targeting on movement skills, so for example when using rogue shift near some barrels you will automatically go into the barrels rather than go straight (or the way you’re facing).
  2. Interfaces:
    2a. Inventory/shops/items:
  • Issue: Inventory can’t be easily navigated
  • Recommended: make inventory into squares that move 1 over for left joystick and move left and right end of inventory or top/bottom of inventory box with right joystick (the square rule is overruled by item size, so if you go 1 over and then you’re onto gloves, next square over or item over is your next move but you wouldn’t go through all the squares the gloves take up). Secondly, pressing A equips the item into the slot, pressing Y picks up the item so you can move it around. Also last bit in general on interfaces, make it so when in interfaces your normal key bindings don’t proc, so if I press x in the inventory interface I’m not doing my x ability.
  • Issue: shops can’t be easily used with controller
  • Recommended: allow X (assuming Xbox controller) sell items to shop and similarly buy items from shops.
  • Issue: can’t see detailed mod description with controller.
  • Recommended: this one is an easy fix I think, you can already assign any button (I use left joystick press) to ALT, however, for some reason right now if you do it that way and you’re using right stick to navigate inventory it snaps to another item rather than just showing mod descriptions on the item you’re item. Solution is just allow controller alt input to expand mod description on the item you’re on.
  • Issue: can’t navigate map with left joystick
  • Recommended: Allow left joystick to navigate the map, right joystick to move between waypoints.
    2b. Crafting:
  • Issue: can’t move item into crafting easily.
  • Recommended: same as above X to move in and X to move back to inventory, when you move it back it just puts it in the the left most and upper most available area.
1 Like

Eagerly awaiting the targeting improvements. The strictly front-facing autotargeting cone, combined with the inability to turn without moving, severely hinders the playability of many builds. Arcane Ascendance and charging enemies are particularly egregious.

I’d love the ability to switch targeting to friendlies somehow. I’ve been playing Necro with Skeleton Archers and Rip Blood. When I specced into Marrow Drinker, it became very difficult to trigger Rip Blood on the minions.

2 Likes

I’ve had issues with using a dualshock 4 and DS4Windows. Don’t have an xbox controller so can’t comment on ability to be reproduced with an xinput controller.

LE loses the input assignments that I have made upon shut down.

Patch 0.8.2 made playing with a controller quite nice, because picking up items is easy and feels natural now. Depending on the character, playing with a controller can vary between working well and being suboptimal. I will pick on some of the shortcomings now - but even if the remainder of this post focusses on the negatives, don’t think that playing with a controller is a waste of time. The game is quite playable and enjoyable with a controller.

(1) The auto-targeting is mostly really helpful. I can hit enemies far more reliable with my marksman when using a controller compared to using a mouse. However, with movement abilities the auto-targeting becomes an issue. My character rarely shifts/teleports into the direction that I intend to. Usually, I use it defensively, to get away from enemies or AoE effects. And more often than not, I will shift right into the enemies. Or into some crates in a corner when I wanted to shift/teleport/leap straight ahead.

But I think the solution is not just to remove the auto-targeting from movement abilities - because with Leap for example you may want to jump right into pack of enemies. Unfortunately, I can’t think of an easy fix. Even having auto-targeting be toggleable for all skills would not be enough, because whether you want it or not is highly dependent on the situation at hand.

(2) Teleport and similar movement skills have some more issues. Going up ramps/stairs for example does not quite work. It seems as if it checks for obstacles at the height of the character, ignoring the incline of the terrain, and stops at the ramp/staircase, which is considered an obstacle. This is also apparent with small obstacles. When using a mouse, you could easily teleport across a small obstacle, but with a controller, you stop right at the obstacle. Oftentimes, I leap/teleport only a very small distance (if at all) because of this issue.

I would like to propose two changes to how it works: follow the height of the terrain and start from the edge of the screen instead of from the character. Imagine drawing a line from the character to the edge of the screen, using the direction of the input (from the gamepad’s thumb stick). Project this line onto the terrain (which should eliminate the influence of the terrain height). Starting from the edge of the screen, test whether the character could teleport/leap to that point, wandering towards the character until a point is valid. I don’t know whether this approach is feasible, it’s just a rough idea.

(3) I seem to not be able to turn around as promptly as when using a mouse. Maybe the issue is related to the input method - the thumb stick has to be moved to the neutral position and then further, which is why it feels not as responsive. However, when using Dancing Strikes on my Bladedancer, this is much more of an issue and can’t be explained with that alone. My character keeps blade dancing in one direction when the thumb stick is already pulled to the opposite side. The reaction to changes in the movement direction is really sluggish with this skill for some reason.

(4) The option “move to melee attack enemies that are out of range” does not work when using a gamepad. This may be a concious decision by the developers, because moving while attacking is much simpler with a gamepad. But it could also be an oversight. I had a few moments where I expected my character to move into range.

(5) The new way of picking up items is great. I could imagine using a similar technique for all UI interactions. You could show a little icon on everything that can be interacted with (dialogue choices, buttons, items in the inventory, …) and highlight the current choice. Using the d-pad or right thumb stick, we would then select a different element and press A to select it. Right now I often switch to the mouse for these interactions, as it is much faster.

(6) Which brings me to my last point: Switching to the mouse has some issues. For one, the last command of the gamepad stays active. You run into a direction, use the mouse, stop using the gamepad - but the character still keeps running, because the “thumb stick returned to neutral” event was not processed, because the input method already changed to mouse and keyboard. It would be nice if those neutralize-events would be fired artificially as soon as the gamepad input is disabled.

When changing to mouse/keyboard, the tooltips that were shown by the gamepad persist. I need to move away from items on the ground before being able to use the mouse properly, as otherwise parts of the screen will not be usable. The item labels are also sometimes faded out a bit, which would not be the case if using mouse/keyboard only from the very beginning. See the screenshot below: I was using mouse and keyboard for some time (notice the numbers and mouse symbol on the skill bar), changed zones, and even died - yet it still shows the “A” on the item labels and some of them are greyed out, some aren’t.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Flurry on a marksman with controller and the autotargeting is just fantastic. The only thing that really annoys me is that movement skills like shift will target to an enemy or destructible environment which makes emergency exiting pretty hard. I can wait for QoL menuing, but that movement thing should be worked on asap :smiley: Thanks for your great work btw the game is evolving and evolving, only in good directions.

1 Like

Steam Controller with Windows, overall experience is better than keyboard plus mouse.

The only real problem I’ve noticed is that using Warpath on a Sentinel build, character movement occasionally starts to stutter, and character movement rate drops to ~10% of normal. I haven’t seen this happen when using the mouse.