Controller Support Feedback

Definitely agree about his.

We also need screen sides getting red at low life, sound and controller vibrations when we get hit. It’s much harder to stay focused on our health bar on a big TV screen.

In addition to your comment, I really would prefer a Twin Stick Shooter style control setup. Make it so you have to press something else to change the right stick to the cursor.

I really hope 1.0 has significant improvements for controller support. Binding works less than half the time. Also it will randomly just stop working when switching between MK for inentory back to game play.

Turn off object targeting.
Let me bind A to a skill.
The menu “wheel” is all just white boxes.
I still dont know how to sell items on controller.

1 Like

Pressing B or Square will sell directly when selected by controller
Last Patch introduced some textures not loading, Menu wheel is one of them.

A few wishes/suggestions that hopefully are not too hard to implement:

1. Reduce the angle of the cone that determines what can be targeted to 10-20 degrees. Currently it seems to be 150-180 degrees, which makes it hard to teleport away from enemies and destroyable boxes.
  2. Make the highlighting of the targeted enemy more visible. In the heat of the battle, I cannot perceive the slightly more reddish outline of the enemy. I would like it to be way more noticeable, so that I can even see it from the corner of my eyes.
  3. Show the direction the character is looking at on the ground in front of the feet. That could make it easier to correct the orientation in case the wrong enemy is targeted (or none at all). I assume that enemies that are closer to the center of the targeting cone are preferably targeted.
  4. Introduce a dead zone in the center of the thumb stick. That would allow for rotation of the character / changing of target without moving towards the target, which can be helpful for ranged characters.
  5. Make the cone that determines which enemies can be targeted start from the center point of the character and make enemies whose center point is within that cone targetable. Currently, when the character is very close to the enemy such that the outlines are touching, it is not possible to target that enemy without moving first.
  6. Allow us to control the character while the character screen is up. Some values change due to temporary buffs that we get when attacking and it would be nice to see those values without having to use mouse/keyboard.
1 Like

Hello, I have been using a controller for a few days due to hand pain. I would like to share my feedback.

The combat feels great overall. I really enjoy playing with a controller. However, I dislike the auto focus/targeting system during combat. As a druid, I often want to move in a specific direction and cast Rampage, but my character moves in the opposite direction because he is targeting a wooden pile. This is very frustrating. A simple solution would be to add an option to turn off this feature. I don’t even need to target any enemy NPCs automatically; I just want to run through the area and pull more mobs, but I can’t navigate properly.

The interface and other elements feel unpleasant and don’t work well for me. I use the mouse for these tasks. The game’s ability to instantly switch between controller and mouse is a nice feature, and it makes the game playable now, albeit not ideally.

I also initially thought the game was lagging, as Rampage’s behavior was erratic. For instance, using an ability during Rampage would cause my character to move backward, mimicking a lag effect. Similarly, when using the swipe attack, my character would often fail to attack, even when surrounded by NPCs or standing next to a boss. I discovered the source of this issue in the settings: gameplay → move to melee attack enemies that are out of range. I think that my character would often target enemies beyond reach, become stuck due to surrounding mobs, and simply stand idle despite I was attacking.

2 Likes

Looking forward to massive improvements to controller support. Targeting especially and any abilities requiring mouse pointer positioning to determine exit animation.

This last piece is what kinda sucks for Diablo 4 right now for abilities like Teleport and Charge. The game snaps the ending of the animation at the first locked target and it feels like it’d make more sense to continue travel until the button press is released or the max range is achieved.

1 Like

I use an XBOX Elite Series 2 controller and I can’t reconfigure the controls, game UI becomes stuck when I try to change controls.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it has already been posted;

• Can we have the “A” button function to be a skill/interact combined button? (i.e. Diablo 4 / POE controlloer)
  • Can we have ‘native’ controller functionality (i.e. right joystick not being a mouse) and every function reasonably usable with a controller
    (i.e menu navigation / etc. )

Really enjoying the game!
As a dad, I just want to chill sometimes before bed on the ROG ALLY rather than sit up on the PC :slight_smile:

Thank you!

5 Likes

This is the biggest issue with controler atm !
I’m playing runemaster hydra using a lot flame rush, and it’s so boring that i can’t go through my portal and gets my buffs because the game target enemies or wooden pile and don’t allow me to select the direction i want to go !

Please can we have an answer on this specific problem ?

Thanks a lot !

3 Likes

I want to add the pile of complaints about targeting.

Certain skills are just terrible with smart targeting, “Dancing Strikes” is horrible. If you hold it down, your character just veers off going backwards in a line and never stops. When I use dancing strikes with a mouse, the character perfectly follows my mouse.

It would be great if we could enable/disable smart targeting for individual skills.

3 Likes

Hi.

Can we have the “A” button function to be a skill button? (i.n. Diablo 4 / POE controller).

Thanks.

Making it possible to rebind all controller buttons is a must!

And as other have pointed out the auto targeting is bad. Specifially movement skills is really anoyying!

1 Like

Hi.
Newish LE player here.
Overall, the controller works well. However there’s a few minor niggles.

Velocity speed resets on every log in.

Sometimes a rune tooltip becomes perma stuck to the cursor. Leaving to menu and entering games resolves this.

Player interact menu comes up when at vendor if another player is nearby.
Not fully able to keybind all buttons.

Controller in use is Turtle Recon.
Thankyou.

Looking forward to seeing how full controller support feels for 1.0. All of the improvements in the patch notes look great!

Same here, want to do some big screen couch gaming

Same as everyone else wanted to comment on the awkwardness of the controller. Noticed that even though I use Xbox controller that PS names for buttons show up on screen (L3 instead of LS for instance). Also the “A” button is totally unregistered as an input–tried to rebind some of the inputs in settings and “A” just did nothing even though it’s the basic input for melee attacks not the trigger. If rebinding were more viable it would really fix the entire issue with the awkwardness.

Your troubles might be resolved with the 1.0 patch, the notes say it will now have full controller support. I’d recommend waiting until tomorrow to load up 1.0 and see if that fixes your problem.

Hello, I have an issue that needs support and controller usage
Windows 10 and DS4
When entering the game, I can’t turn on the status panel or skill panel. I can only use the right joystick for open the status panel (or skill panel).
Can you guide me on how to open the inventory and skill panel when using the controller
Sry because bad English

After testing a bit in version 1.0:

The fact that destructible objects are no longer automatically targeted and the ability to use most ui functions via the controller are fantastic.

Things that are less good:

• I can’t change the button assignment, in most cases I get an error message that the desired button is already in use, despite removing the button assignment
  • aiming is still a problem with ranged attacks, you always have to look directly at the opponent, which means that you run backwards every time you dodge, then turn to the opponent, attack, turn around again, run, turn around again and attack. in itself this would certainly be playable, but because the aming is bad, it only works partially and is simply not as much fun with ranged classes.
    in my opinion the autoaim should also work when i turn away from the opponent, i.e. i should be able to attack while running away, otherwise you have to stop every time
    (or there should be a way to determine the direction of the ranged attack with the right stick).
  • no vibration function - takes away a lot of immersion
  • the aiming is too focused on the closest enemy, if you use an area ability and a huge group is rushing towards you, but an enemy is standing/running a bit away from the group, then the area attack is cast on this one enemy instead of the group.
2 Likes