Computer Crashes In Chapter 9

Hello,

I just made my way to Chapter 9 and am now having issues with hard crashes with my computer. My settings have been at High the entire duration of my playthrough. I haven’t had any crashes until this chapter.

From the main city in Chapter 9, I made my way to Maj’elka Lower District and I couldn’t last longer than 2 minutes in this area. I’m not sure what’s different about the environment here but something is causing issues for me. I’m happy to upload whatever documentation you need.

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Chapter 9 adds a whole bunch of new changes to the game, new mobs, new graphical effects and increases mob density quite substantially in certain places so it could be stressing your system more than previously… Default settings have also changed in the recent patch that could be impacting on things. Lots of possible reasons really.

Please can you post your player.log, le_graphicsmanager.ini & the output of a dxdiag report… These three files will provide some idea of that could be going on.

In the meanwhile… Whenever the game crashes at specific places, its always important to verify the game files to make sure the installation is ok. The other thing to do is to make sure your GPU drivers are recent (last 2-3months).

And as you mentioned it, an easy way to see if your ingame settings are possibly the cause, is just to lower them - just temporarily set it to Very low and run the same map where its always crashing and see if you get farther…

With the files you provide I should hopefully be able to advise something more specific.

I changed the settings to medium last night and had no further issues. I am uploading the files you’ve requested for your use.

Player.log (87.7 KB)

le_graphicsmanager.ini (507 Bytes)

DxDiag.txt (104.6 KB)

Hey there… Glad you are able to get past the problem areas… If dropping to medium made a difference then thats the first place to look to see what is happening…

From the info you provided:

1. The player.log is not showing anything beyond debug messages - i.e. no specific crash messages related to graphics etc… This tells me that whatever is crashing is doing so before the game has a chance to log an error - i.e. its likely external to the game.

2. Your settings file is showing 1 very important issue - you MUST enable a framerate limit. If you didnt have one before then I would guess that this is what has caused your stability issues… LE is unoptimised at the moment and it will run away with your GPU (i.e. max it out) whenever it can unless you limit it in some way. If your GPU is already at 100%, and the game then asks for more from it then there is a very high possibility that it will crash… At higher resolutions (like your 3440 x 1440) and higher settings, this issue becomes even more apparent and serious. Your monitor is reporting as 60hz (at that res) so physically it can only display 60fps… I would recommend that you set your in-game framerate limit to 60fps and see what your GPU usage is while doing nothing in the End of Time ‘town’ … If its high - in the 80-90% usage - while doing nothing then you may want to drop either the fps limit / resolution or settings lower… From experience helping others & playing the game myself, the game is most stable if you can keep the GPu usage around 60-70% while doing nothing… This seems to leave enough headroom for the game to spike up to max in busy play moments but still stay stable… Obviously this depends on each users hardware/cooling/power etc, so you have to find what is most stable for you… The key is not to let LE do whatever it wants… its beta and unoptimised…

3. The diagnostic section at the end of your Dxdiag is showing some serious errors that you should not ignore… You are getting lots of LiveKernel events # 141, 193… You can google LiveKernel and the # yourself but 141 is a general hardware crash that is hard to pinpoint on its own… 193 is a Video card hardware issue… It could be that LE has been pushing your GPU to its limit causing it to crash OR it could be a general issue with the card - running something like Furmark for a while at your high res could check that… It could be anything from thermals, GPU overclocks, power draw issues at high load or even just messed up GPU drivers that need a safe mode reinstallation (or DDU)…

4. You are also getting dwm.exe errors… This is the Windows built in service - Desktop Window Manager… it basically handles all the high res monitor functions, graphics goodies and special features of the windows graphical interface… If its crashing then this is NOT a good sign and is unlikely to be related to LE…

My recommendations:

1. Open your system and make sure your GPU is seated, power connected properly, the fans etc are working and not obstructed, everything is generally clean and there is good airflow, nothing touching something it shouldnt be, no suspicious burnt electronic smells (especially from the PSU & GPU) etc…

2. Reinstall your GPU driver - use a safe mode installation process or something like DDU… just doing a driver update from Nvidia doesnt resolve messed up driver files. You may even have to consider rolling back to an older driver as newer ones tend to be less stable (in favour of marketing FPS to sell new cards).

3. Its unlikely to make a difference, but after running Windows Update and making sure nothing failed, run System File Checker just to make sure there arent any corrupted system files on your machine…

4. “View Reliability History” on your machine to see if any of the errors have helpful info to explain what is actually going on.

5. Run a variety of system stress tests (CPU - Prime95, GPU - Furmark/Heaven/3dmark on loops, Memtest, etc) while monitoring your machines power, gpu, cpu, thermals, harddrives etc… if the results are close to or over the max recommendations for your components, this could point to potential failures… Remember things do eventually give up the ghost - nothing lasts forever… In my experience things to go are usually, in order, the PSU, GPU, mechanical harddrives…

6. Be wary of overclocks on anything…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.