Community Designed Unique: Unique Effect

I’m not insulting anyone, I’m saying people are clueless to vote on a spear and then choosing a spell casting effect, I’m sorry if you think that’s an insult don’t be so sensitive man.

1 Like

Meteor would have been nice. But seems like it won’t get the most votes. Crit on Mana Strike is super easy, so wouldn’t even need any crit rate on equipment. Could purely focus crit dmg. And Mana Strike could sustain Meteor by itself, even with full mana cost modifiers on meteor.

1 Like

Is there a rule or something?

Why spellcasting weapon should necessarily be a Staff or a Wand? Take Grim Dawn, for example. There are all kinds of melee and ranged caster weapons. 2H swords, mauls, axes. There are even pistols that are exclusively a caster stat-sticks (and some are really powerful at that).

I personally don’t see any problem with that.

Also, Volcanic Orb is not Sorc exclusive. It can be used by Spellblade just as much.

1 Like

Do people really want to play purple VO without teleport this badly? This thing is going in the trash before it’s even started

2 Likes

The only reason I didn’t vote for that is that the weapon is a spear which means you don’t get adaptive spell damage for meteor unless you get it from one of the item’s mods.

It’s worth keeping in mind that the chosen unique effect will not be the only modifier on the item. If a spell oriented modifier is chosen, then it will probably have flat spell damage to go alongside that. If there’s a strong community desire for the spear to have a melee aspect to it, despite a spell only modifier being chosen, then that can be incorporated.

6 Likes

More movement speed is more reliable than a cooldown. also it doesn’t stop you from tele, just discourages it.

I think people just hate teleport and are going crazy about this idea of “discouraging the movement abilities”. While “Purple orb” is just a “nice bonus” here, LMAO.

I also want to believe that Purple Orb is going to be at least barely playable, but (forgive me EHG) I doubt it SO SO SO MUCH.
We already have a dedicated VO item (a relic) – and it’s not a terrible item, far from it. Particularly with LP.

And yet no one plays VO, because VO is a terrible skill!

It’s stale, it’s not strong and it has a lot of very boring nodes like “get 1% damage per 1 skill point spent”. Very few (if any) nodes have exciting and powerful modificators.
(To be fair, that’s not the only Mage’s skill that can be given this description)

So, in the end, if purple VO wins – could you guys at least rework it?

1 Like

They can always make a unique-only base type like they did for the scythe that drops at t4 soulfire bastion.

There is absolutely 0 difference between doing that and making it a staff but calling it a spear in the unique description if we end up with this VO vendor food. I guess you appease the community vote but, it’s still just a staff with a spear flavor tag.

It would be a caster focussed weapon with a caster focussed effect that happens to be a spear for flavor reason.
I am failing to see the issue here.
The effect mentions herardry, in is not uncommon in popular culture to portray medieval heralds carrying a long spear with a flag, so it being a spear seems thematically appropriate.

For the record I voted for meteor on crit, but unfortunately purple VO seems to be winning by a landslide.

I’m not the biggest fan of this void VO (I voted meteor), but who told you this is gonna be vendor food? It depends on the item stats in the first place.

As for the melee synergy, there’s Dark Shroud of Cinders and literally half the Spellblade’s passive tree supporting Fire Aura generation and strength.

IIRC, there was even a build ( and not a bad one) some months ago for Void Fire Aura Spellblade. Now it can be improved upon with this new spear and the legendaries.

1 Like

There’s been several going back over the years. Even a caster version back when the Fire Aura on crit idols didn’t have a cooldown.

1 Like

Totally unrelated to anything that has happened recently: Will the Corrupted Heraldry have a stack limit? :wink:

Asking for a friend.

1 Like

By the way it’s worded currently I would assume that there is no hard cap. But since the stacks probably have a set duration you’d be limited by how many casts and hits you can keep generating.

So disappointing…

The VO thing sounds neat, I just don’t see how it fits a spear. Maybe get rid of the self-cast part and have attacking with the spear trigger VO casts. Since spears add base crit typically, have it be on melee crit.

One suggestion that McFluffin had that I wanted to say here. Next time something like this happen change to a March Madness kind of bracket where anyone can submit their full Unique idea and make a bracket for them to compete in. In a single elimination tournament style.

2 Likes

When we have any sort of unique ideas we have to process, they have to go through our senior game designers to a.) ensure they ‘can’ be made to work in the game world, and b.) they make sense to exist within the game world. The problem with submitting “a full unique” as a suggestion, is that it almost certainly couldn’t be implemented. When we create Supporter Uniques, it usually takes a couple of weeks of back and forth and internal iterations and tests to result in a unique to be implemented. That’s for one item.

However, we did to an extent have this. Throughout all previous posts, users have been able to submit unique effects for this poll. Other community members then voted for top options by ‘liking’ those suggestions (leaving a heart). All of these options in this poll are unique effects submitted by community members, which we then went over with our design team and tweaked to a “base” implementable form. We’ve left the implicit and other affixes to our design team so they can do what they need to to make the item as a whole work (whether the other stats on the item need to buff up to compensate for a weaker unique effect, or lower the power of a more powerful unique effect). To submit a ‘full unique’ means our design team wouldn’t have this ability to the same extent and thus would be far less implementable. I like the idea in theory though, it’s a fun idea!

1 Like

Lets go mana strike meteor! Opens up a new playstyle and you don’t have to play volcanic orb! Change your votes :slight_smile:

2 Likes