Community Designed Unique: Item Theme

The Lost Refuge was one of the first retreats of humanity as The Void encroached upon Eterra. During the campaign you encounter this area long after it has fallen to the void, however it has a backstory of one being an underground city under siege by the void, and banding together for a final stand. You can read a journal during the quest that outlines some of the final days of the Lost Refuge. At the quest turn-in, you have the option to lie, and state that it was the last refugees wishes for their refuge to be called “Rat City”. So its inclusion is not referring to its current state as a void overrun area, but its history as one of the last bastions of humanity.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Okay, yes, I remember the part about the journal page. That’s not what I was asking about.
I understand that it’s an (optional) lore element. But I don’t get how it can be a “theme”.

Void theme is obvious. Tri-element is clear too. But how the Last Refuge or a “Rat City” (or whatever you call it) is a theme?

What is its defining element?

1 Like

The power to stand against the Void and thrive? Perhaps the spear includes bonus damage to Void creatures, or maybe +x% Max Void Res? Perhaps it generates an aura of flying rats, granting damage reduction against Void.

2 Likes

This could manifest in many ways, it depends on what aspect we’re referring to. Some ideas of how this could manifest for design:

• low-tech/makeshift weaponry (referring to the last stand effort)
  • infringement of corruption/the void (referring to how they were losing the fight)
  • abnormally defensive (eg. large guards) (referring to them holding out)
  • combination of different Eterran cultures (referring to how humanity from across Eterra took refuge here)
  • unstable (referring to the desperation of their situation)
4 Likes

Would love some Zombee’s for the Acolyte (Necromancer)
also hoped for a new item for it.

I like it!

Very much agree with this. Could be cool if one or more mage spells got changed into void variants by the item.

2 Likes

have no idea for a lost refuge item idea since void is also already on the poll.

Heorot!

Long Live Rat City!!!

1 Like

Can we get a small description for each of them beside them? Like, Void, tri elemental, amalgamation, I can somewhat imagine. as for others, there are multiple things coming into my mind or nothing coming.

word :frowning:

Make it summon rats or converts elemental damage into necrotic/poison. That would make for a unique mage build.

Or maybe both? Summons rats that deal necrotic/poison and it converts all elemental damage to necrotic/poison but you lose hp over time or something.

1 Like

If we’re to take the theme into account, I’m thinking guerrilla warfare, powerful short skirmishes, get in create a big commotion, get out. Like scurrying rats. Thinking of some burst effects like:

1. Flame Ward releases a burst explosion when cast three times in a row each more powerful, maybe trigger the effect on reflect as well.
  2. Static discharge causes an elemental nova per enemy hit.
  3. When Volcanic Orb detonates it triggers the explosion 3 times.

stuff like that I guess xD

I don’t know about you, but I kinda want an item that would be useable. Not just some meme shenanigans.

I don’t see how converting Mage skills into necrotic/poison could benefit Mage. Especially considering that there will be literally no support for such build, other than this item

This idea is terrible.

And in general Last Refuge theme seems massively underwhelming and boring.

1 Like

a spear and the lost refuge seems interesting. maybe this was the spear that was some sort of beacon of protection and it was corrupted leading to the events that felled the city.

I’d like to see something where you have to continuously ‘purge’ the void essence that radiates within the spear and when it’s cleansed, for a moment, the full glory of the spear shows itself.
this could be something like as you use it you gain stacks of something void related and when you do something else, those stacks expel and you get a type of ‘arcane ascendency’ like effect for 4 seconds, regardless of your element.
a little further you could do something with the corruption aspect with monos as well. like the higher the corruption the longer it takes to purge and the greater effect of the buff.

i don’t post often but i hope this sparks some ideas for you guys.

4 Likes

Long live Rat City.

2 Likes

How about: you gain stacks of void essence each time you cast a spell.
Using a potion removes a certain number of stacks.
While above a certain number of stacks you gain some void themed benefits (flat void spell damage for instance)
While below a certain number of stacks you gain some elemental/humanity themed benefits.
From what I see in the game the theme of purification is mostly expressed through fire and fire damage over time, so the buff for low stacks could be themed around that.

It could be interesting if there was a sweetspot where you gain both buffs at the same time.

As a side-note, I personally voted for multi-element theme.
I want support for new build archetypes in the game, and multi-element is missing from the game.

2 Likes

So sad The Osprix is losing, stealing the lance of heorot back from God Hunter Argentus and actually wielding it would be awesome

3 Likes

I stick with Apophis, since the first poll.
Namely a “convert elemental damage to void damage” spear.
Very happy the idea made it in the list. :slightly_smiling_face:

That said, both Lost Refuge and Osprix are very acceptable themes, because they fit in with the story and I woud like uniques to have links with the lore.
I mean, they are not quite as good as Apophis, but still good ideas. :wink:

Edit: My post last week, to refresh memories.