Bad boss design

I haven’t even faced this boss yet, myself, so I have no opinion on the topic at hand. That said, there are some valid points being made about the quality and nature of the hyperbolic feedback presented in the original post. The combative and dismissive nature of replies by the OP does little to bolster his case.

I certainly get being frustrated, but preemptively insulting everyone who doesn’t agree with your premise is more akin to childish ranting than feedback.

He did. He opened the thread by arrogantly dismissing anyone and everyone who doesn’t agree that the boss is badly designed as fanboys.

Respectfully, I think you may have missed a post. ZaeN did, in fact, make a couple of very specific suggestions:

Again, I have no opinion on the matter as I’ve not yet reached this point in the game, but the suggestions were made.

2 Likes

Pointless video

Every build should have a movement skill

Not only that but boots can have implicit 16% movement and exalted movement speed

So no you aren’t very fast at all your character barely moving

I did all mono bosses with 1k hp and uncapped resistances and now im going through the empowered mono bosses with no problem

If you are in melee contact you can’t even run away in time

Im playing shield blade shuriken and I am basically standing in melee range and dont have this issue

The difference is that my character is much faster than you and I have a movement skill on my bar

Get a movement skill or keep dying

That’s in literally all ARPG games

Lunge is a movement speed. But Lunge also doesn’t work easily against EoC.

Recently i’ve fought EoC and had the same issue, didn’t die to it, i just knew the boss, launched the battle, immediatly went back to avoid the nuke, went back to DPS, kept my Lunge to jump on a far away zombie when EoC launched it nuke again and that was it.

Several mistakes were made in the video to be honest, first is OP keeps hitting EoC while this one was launching his nuke, combined with the fact Lunge isn’t a 100% free movement skill and he took the 3 slow stacks, his window to get out of the situation is clearly reduced to misery at this point, but he still can do it, just has to lunge to a zombie and he’s good to go, but he doesn’t and walks away, = RIP. Bound to happen in the situation.

Yeah, about the nuke itself, it clearly has a problem with its hitboxe, but in this special case i’m not 100% sure the Sentinel totally is out of the highlighted zone. Anyway, the RIP could have been avoided with better reaction time, and management of the movement skill.

So, i guess everybody’s has to work a bit on their things, EHG just like OP.

Some boss battle become a thing of beauty with good mobility, good knowledge and very high corruption/rolls, had the best experience of my life in an ARPG against an ultra boosted Argentus recently, like 400%+ HP/Damage/movement speed/enrage, facing my HoA Marksman (who’s builded for turbo clearing, not for bossing, but i wanted to have a gentle slice of fun with her against a boss), holy cow that was a moment of pure glory when i killed him after a 3 or 4 min battle where i had to time everything to the limits i could.

I mean, it’s a good thing if we have to push ourselves to the limits while pushing the game the same way, but yeah, there’s also a limit for EHG to respect when designing a boss, it has to remain fair and clear (not like POE’s dumb mess), if the kill was out of the graphic zone, it has to be corrected. But this kill itself, it could have been avoided, let’s be fair in every sides.

1 Like

Keeping avoiding damage with mobility is a good way, but I suspect there may be other ways of survival. Also, I haven’t encountered anything harder than this boss’s aoe attack, so I feel that this attack itself is a kind of outlier. Maybe OP’s anger and confusion comes from his betrayal of his expectations for the game.

Thanks for the hint and my apologies. Haven’t seen the post and the one above where theres a bit of concrete stuff in it. Would’ve been very helpful if this was in the first post, too.

By the way linked below is the older thread about Lagon.

How did it end? It was fixed ofc, the boss doesn’t do the “unescapable beam in the corner that will kill you” anymore.
For that past case: BIG THANKS TO EHG and ofc THANKS to everyone for their immense support and help with fixing the wonky boss.

About this one thread I will edit the OP to make the suggestions more clear

1 Like

Added to OP

GUYS I HAVE KILLED THE BOSS AFTERWARDS (don't panic)

I didn’t change a single skill or item. I just kited this guy by hitting him at like “half-melee” distance and running like a mofo at every animation just in case.

But I don’t think that the boss perfectly done and it was the correct way.
It felt wrong, like a mandatory workaround to a wonky encounter. I think that the boss needs a little improvement.

FG and melee are already weak and this boss nuke aoe is a big FU to the archetype

Suggestions from all over the thread

Fix the bug: The aoe has a visual bug to be fixed.

Options and suggestions:

A) Adjust the boss (the one that i support and that i think is the most simple):

• Reduce aoe 10-20%
  • Increase cast time 1-2secs
  • Maybe remove the boss casted slow debuff?
    (In poor words allow a stock slow ass FG with 30ms to get out in time)

B) Adjust the FG:
Apparently (from what I gather by everyone posting) the FG is the only class that is so slow and has limited access to mobility.

• Increase movespeed?
  • Make Lunge ground targetable?

I don’t like any of the above because I know zoom zoom is not in the original philisophy of the game and I also think it is more complicated than just tuning the boss skill

C) Leave everything:
And make workarounds in the FG skillbar to adapt to this single boss single skill AoE:

• Replace one skill to add Shield Rush specced into No-Shield Rush (in this case it is a 2H sword char), it will allow to dash away from the AoE
  • Spec 15pts into VK to get Devouring Orbs and get the +20% movespeed ← thought by myself (VK main) but I don’t like the idea at all, it just kills build diversity even more (also DevOrbs is imo already OP and needs a rework)
  • Get more movespeed from other sources? Temp/proc buffs BiS roll boots, whatever

Like with B I don’t agree with this line of thought, it’s just convoluted, it doesn’t address the main issue, it’s a patchwork. The sole idea that I need a specific setup (be it one skill or one item) for a random boss just sound wrong to me IMHO

Most detailed video (clip nr 3)

The actually 1st clip recorded (with very little info shown):

There have been ofc more occurrences before, these are just the ones that I recorded to see wtf was wrong with this boss

1 Like

If that 360 degree arena wide denial zone is considered a good boss encounter mechanics wise, im afraid but have to say boss encounters in this game are even worse than most PoE bosses.

Change the 360 circle to a cone and add other additional environmental threats to make it more interesting. Brainstorming examples like errupting volcanos that spew fire balls, fiery ground cracks etc.

Personally, I am still not seeing an issue, but that’s me. I just see someone wasting Lunge, putting it on cooldown, and then unable to lunge out to a zombie.

1 Like

Yeah, Emp of Corpses is BORDERLINE for bosses, but at least he doesn’t ONE SHOT you with ZERO telegraph like PoE bosses, eh?? This IS (IMHO) the hardest boss to MASTER, but all things CAN be mastered unlike cheap crap PoE bosses. Neon can suck an egg :slight_smile:

Yea don’t get me started about the comparation with bosses from the other games.
This comes from someone who farmed Sirus A9 at lv99 on the way to 100, on a melee char: this dragon slow+aoe compared to a boss in PoE or GD is not bad, it is infuriating.

PoE chapter bosses, shaper + 4 guardians, elder + 4 guardians, sirus + 4 conquerors. None of them have stuff like this, can you imagine Malakay/Mino/Phoenix slamming the entire scream just like that? lol
GD i’m not even mentioning the bosses there, these are on another level IMO, why? Because no boss in GD truly oneshots you, they just bring you down and you see it coming and it’s not frustrating like a bugged Lagon Beam

If LE is coming after PoE (and has a lot of copy pasta of it) it is supposed to make better encounters not worse or lazier.

Orobyss is unlike it at least, it is just that first wave of monolith bosses that almost each have something wrong.

1 Like

Please, leave PoE out of this. That is a pandora’s box I do not want to see opened. The Lagon bug was bad, and its hit box below the platform was another bad issue. They are slowly getting resolved.

lmao nice

Hey all,
just wanted to pop in a quick video I just made on my Paladin. Swapped to a 8% and 7% set of silver rings for the fight.

Build: Paladin, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.8.3d) - Last Epoch Build Planner

Video:

What I can’t help but wonder is… Is there an easier monolith boss than this guy?

Thinking out loud here… Abom has annoying slow-seeking dot orbs, Lance boss is isometric DDR, Rahyeh has pie and a Prince fetish (purple rain), Harton has friends and ground effects, Lagon has targeting issues for some abilities + storm phase, the 3 little pigs punish you for killing them, Heorot has freeze laser + invuln phase + center of attention blizzard, Gaspar has triple element laser circus…

Ok, Formosus is easier.

1 Like

Sounds like a rosy recollection… I remember the hell that is getting close enough to the minotaur to kill him while he pops up out of the ground for 1 shots as the fight progresses. Sirus: the arena filling up with storms, making for a tedious encounter between invulnerable phase transitions… and off-screen die beams.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be superhard with 5 phases and multi skills. It’s actually part of what makes this boss bad it has only 3 skills and the one is a lazy ++aoe ++dmg run or die

It’s something that this game had a lot in the beginning, every new mob started with a skill action that gave it both a bigger AoE and a bigger damage.

Finally with Majasa I am seeing mobs that have kiter killer skills

Yes ofc there are frustrating moments in PoE and the entire reason I am fully against arcade bullet hell style bosses (PoE has some really shitty ones like Uber Atziri or the Feared).

But the game is entirely built around that with spammable mobility skills for the purpose, the main bosses have clear and interesting mechanics with clear and functioning escapes. (And besides that you can actually tank various big shots example below Sirus at 0:40)

I didn’t want to bring it up but I know what i’m saying i make my own builds in there and they work and I’ve made a lv100 with a total offmeta niche char

And when these bosses flop because they do, they are perfected or flagged bugged and inevitably fixed.

That’s my main point to say that the dragon that slows you prior to casting a 1km aoe is probably not the brightest idea that inevitably kills a stock FG and it’s complemented with proof clips, that are promptly dismissed/derailed by some others who treat this game as everything is made perfectly and interestingly and love to treat any critics like they are the newest noobs that cant kill a boss

If you have to tell us your credentials by linking unrelated videos, you really must be struggling to make a good case.

Either way, this argument has been going on for long enough. People didn’t criticize your “points” mainly, it was mostly about how you conduct yourself

1 Like

I posted a video of my Paladin above who had no issues with the fight. As mentioned, I just swapped in two Silver Rings for the fight, since the only damage in the entire fight is Physical and Necrotic, so who cares what your other resists are. I not only sauntered out of the AoE, I did a little jig in the safe area because I had so much extra time before it went off.

This is a learning issue, not a boss design issue.

Yet another deflection/downplay tactic :slight_smile: *

Honestly if your reply changes based only about how much “tactful” is the OP then it’s not analytical and not useful. (Ask yourself what value your post adds to the topic and did you post here to write just that? This topic is just spammed like this, it’s pure trolling)

I am writing something about a lazy boss, if people agree or not based on simpathy or how the OP is constructed then no comment

*P.S. You guys are amazing btw: ignoring original OP video, circumventing stated issue, excuses like “info unclear”, implying i cant complete a boss, implying i am a noob with “no defense wrong skills” whatever, coming with all kinds of excuses workarounds & “help”, any external mention is off topic, any external material is “unrelated” to be ignored or of less value, various excuses to circumvent OP topic, “offended” people, never ending circle :slight_smile: it’s like saying “you are right but you will never be right” :slight_smile: