Bad boss design

So alright, let’s say for starters that for some reason I actually love the crazy idea of a huge screen-wide aoe that you can only avoid by walking away otherwise you are 99% oneshotted /SARCASM.

With the highest tier boots T5 movespeed = 30%+ move. If you are in melee contact you can’t even run away in time…

Most detailed video (clip nr 3)

The actually 1st clip recorded (with very little info shown):

There have been ofc more occurrences before, these are just the ones that I recorded to see wtf was wrong with this boss

GUYS I HAVE KILLED THE BOSS AFTERWARDS (don't panic)

I didn’t change a single skill or item. I just kited this guy by hitting him at like “half-melee” distance and running like a mofo at every animation just in case.

But I don’t think that the boss perfectly done and it was the correct way.
It felt wrong, like a mandatory workaround to a wonky encounter. I think that the boss needs a little improvement.

FG and melee are already weak and this boss nuke aoe is a big FU to the archetype

Character panel

https://imgur.com/2TgT228

130 corruption one 19% dmg mod. 2,5k hp 60-70% armor it will die

When you thought that Lagon or Pie Chart Bird were nightmares of the past…

Suggestions from all over the thread

Fix the bug: The aoe has a visual bug to be fixed.

Options and suggestions:

A) Adjust the boss (the one that i support and that i think is the most simple):

• Reduce aoe 10-20%
  • Increase cast time 1-2secs
  • Maybe remove the boss casted slow debuff?
    (In poor words allow a stock slow ass FG with 30ms to get out in time)

B) Adjust the FG:
Apparently (from what I gather by everyone posting) the FG is the only class that is so slow and has limited access to mobility.

• Increase movespeed?
  • Make Lunge ground targetable?

I don’t like any of the above because I know zoom zoom is not in the original philisophy of the game and I also think it is more complicated than just tuning the boss skill

C) Leave everything:
And make workarounds in the FG skillbar to adapt to this single boss single skill AoE:

• Replace one skill to add Shield Rush specced into No-Shield Rush (in this case it is a 2H sword char), it will allow to dash away from the AoE
  • Spec 15pts into VK to get Devouring Orbs and get the +20% movespeed ← thought by myself (VK main) but I don’t like the idea at all, it just kills build diversity even more (also DevOrbs is imo already OP and needs a rework)
  • Get more movespeed from other sources? Temp/proc buffs BiS roll boots, whatever

Like with B I don’t agree with this line of thought, it’s just convoluted, it doesn’t address the main issue, it’s a patchwork. The sole idea that I need a specific setup (be it one skill or one item) for a random boss just sound wrong to me IMHO

Other critics to this boss: the hitbox again is not like the graphical model and is huge, please add a pathfinding algo to the character, it simply bogs down inside these big bosses hitboxes while you try to walk around them in close proximity

IN BEFORE: "mUh fAv aRpG iT's PeRfEcT YoU aRe PlAyInG wRoNg bRuH"

Just… please NO I don’t think so GO AWAY

5 Likes

Well, you did have 1 damage mod (19%) in addition to the 65% more damage from corruption, plus you were slowed (3 stacks = 60% less) & “only” 55% armour. IMO the AoE can feel a bit misleading as it’s not actually on the floor so you need to move a bit further out than it appears.

4 Likes

Shtrack reported the AOE visual as a bug back in June.

Llama also provided some info/suggestions, as did Heavy about a week later.

A quick search for “Emperor of Corpses” and you’ll see quite a few results similar to yours.

So while you may think others might be inclined to say “mUh fAv aRpG YoU aRe PlAyInG wRoNg”, I think they’d be more inclined to say “search a bit first”.

2 Likes

I am very confident that re-iterating it again in september would yeld more results than me finding it in a search and getting no solution to it due to it being unfixed since june or more.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that but there is such thing as “tact”.

As I said in “muh fav ARPG” PLEASE NO

1 Like

Llama my friend you know that it a measle detail deflecting from the main point

1 Like

Llama made not only a valid point but pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why you died. Lack of full resistance, reduced movement speed, and confirmation of visual bug.

2 Likes

Rotfl it did make me notice/remind that the boss ALSO SLOWS YOU DOWN before the screen-wide AoE. This is big brain design here.

But anyway, my target is 300 corruption. Yes, this boss must be doable at 300 corruption by its own debatable mechanic (run away or die).

30 move speed is about the best a FG can achieve. Armor is about the perfect amount you can get.

AGAIN PLEASE don’t play it down to make it look or sound like it’s normal

1 Like

Agree that the hitbox bug is lame on this boss so bringing that up makes sense.

For other frustrations… he always casts soul bomb shortly after you start, so you can bait and lunge back in a heartbeat with legit combat benefits if you built into it. Potions can cleanse with a belt mod which you can save for the slow. FG can easily tank those stupid zombies and the dragon’s swipe, and the breath is easier to dodge in melee.

No one is suggesting it’s normal but if you’re trying to get the devs attention I doubt saying “Bad Boss Design” is the way to go. Reminding them that the bug still exists, especially if you’ve done your homework as a tester, is really helpful.

We all benefit when bugs are fixed so giving solid feedback is important. Especially if they don’t have to wade through an opening line of sarcasm. We get it, you’re frustrated.

2 Likes

I think the OP has a valid complaint. FG doesn’t have a movement ability because Lunge requires a target. I think the intended design is move. Not rework your entire build in the hopes of taking that hit. In this case, I don’t think its possible. Maybe there should be 1-2 sec more delay before firing.

I guess the argument boils down to whether or not LE has made a design choice of some classes/builds are not viable for some content.

4 Likes

Sentinel have shield rush, and javelin banner for non targeted movement. I swapped my VK lunge with unleveled shield rush fighting emperor of corpse since lunge is not that useful on him anyway. He slow and bulky.

1 Like

I would just suggest studying the fight. There isn’t alot going on, and save mobility for the AoE. He has breath, a swipe, multiple mini aoes which can be dodged, and the nuke.

2 Likes

There’s no need for a movement skill at all. There’s no rng in the bosses skill cycle. It always casts the big aoe at the start of the fight. And the same is midfight.

Just stay at his tail. Watch his abilities and remember the order. By this you can see the aoe coming even before he begins the casting animation. When I have slow builds, I’m already running out of range before he begins.

Dying right at the start of the fight might happen once or twice when you do it for the first time. But after that you know exactly what he’s doing 2 seconds after the start. Right?

2 Likes

My VK just facetanks that boss on Emp.Monos :smiley: But I have 60% Endurance / 630 threshold , about 5k+ armor (with buffs), 2500 HP, resistances capped.

P.S. I remembered that I also have Vengeance damage reduction. I think without it tanking is not possible.

It is, you also know by now that I’m pedantic.

IMO the issue was the circular area being raised off the ground & it not being clear. Had it been on the floor you’d have seen that you were inside & got splatted. This exact thing happened to me recently as well. Though I don’t remember being slowed, I just stopped as soon as I thought I was out of the danger zone (but evidently wasn’t).

With hindsight, you could have Lunged to a mob that was further out & then run from there. But hindsight’s an awesome thing.

I also assume you’re crit avoidance capped?

Apart from Shield Rush. But I’m pretty sure that’s not available to the Forge Guard.

Even the tankiest builds can misjudge the circle, I did and I was bug splattered, just as I deserved to be.

Actually, some things have already been mentioned to solve the problem of the thread creator, but I still dare a concluding enumeration:

[in no particular order]:
a1) get more overall EHP
a2) do you have max glancing blow?
a3) what about max crit avoidance?
b) use a movement ability
c) try to get additional overall damage reduction (Hammer and Anvil, try Rebuke, Titan Heart and such)
d) attack his backside, not his middle [shorter runs from the attack].

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Sentinel’s don’t get glancing blow.