Bad boss design

Of course, that should read Endurance.

EDIT:
e) Further movement objects such as rings.

2 Likes

This boss was the first boss that killed a character of mine in this game…

The first AoE effect is easily dodged by aggroing the boss and running away immediately without attacking… the others just require knowing his attack sequence and running away when it happens… You do not even need movement buffs but they do make it easier…

I have also been able to tank the AoE with Paladin Regifter & Shield Throw builds with high damage mitigation & high health regen. I have also been able to tank his AoE with a Spellblade Ward build by timing Flame Ward proc at the right moment.

ZaeN knows how to kill the boss, I think he was just pissed that he thought he was outside of the AoE when
https://imgur.com/hOHjSEI

1 Like

Perhaps… but he has expressed that the boss design is bad… not that the AoE graphic doesnt show the correct area of effect so you get nuked when you think you are safe… thats a totally different issue, probably a bug that could be fixed.

I dont believe that the boss design is bad… In fact, I believe the exact opposite - I like bosses that kill you until you learn how best to beat them with the build class you are playing with… As I mentioned, this was the first boss that kicked my arse when I started playing LE and it was frustrating as hell but in hindsight its great to have a challenge and he hit much harder than the previous bosses, imho, so a mistake meant death…

Yes… this guy is hard and at the target “300 corruption” I doubt it will be easy / or even possible to face tank him anymore but I still expect that he will be doable.

300 empowered is what bug squished my “tank”. The concept of immortality or being unstoppable needs a serious makeover. I am for one that goes by the PoE’s witches saying “Everything Dies!” No invulnerable states from skills, no 100% immune, no phase shift crap. These cheat death mechanics cheapen the game play in the long term.

Sure… it makes no sense for bosses (and even player characters) to be able to achieve a level of immortality/invulnerability… and I dont think any of the bosses in this game are designed that way…

However, the uncapped corruption bonuses (and map effects) do mean that eventually you will reach a corruption level where bosses are not possible to beat no matter how strong the build/character is… I dont think thats got anything to do with the boss design themselves and more to do with the concept of power levels and how corruption impacts on that.

This is exactly the part I am meaning.
The way some of the power levels interact with corruption creates an illusion that they are immortal/invulnerable, since I am not doing any noticeable damage to it.
This can work the opposite direction if you are one that plays to no/low corruption, no mods at all when you fight a boss then face tank as it tickles you with its best abilities and you mockingly laugh at it is on the other end of the spectrum.

FG main here. The only time I ever died to EoC was on a Primalist who had Fury Leap on his bar.

The great thing about EoC is that there are ways of mitigating the damage if you plan ahead. If you don’t want to dodge it, use Rebuke. If you want to get out of the way, there are plenty of movement skills that work (Javelin and Shield Rush for untargeted, Lunge with “To Your Aid” to target an ally minion). The slow can be cleansed with a Belt prefix that you should always run if you don’t need a unique belt.

Thanks to everyone adding their thoughts in it. I acknowledge the visual bug, just please EHG fix it asap.

I have posted a literal clip of a 90% minmaxed FG walking in and walking out and still dieing. I’ve ofc killed the boss, just not the way (I think) it’s meant to be.

IMO the circle is just huge for the dmg it does and the cast time it has, even if it was unbugged. And the slow… needed or not?

Let’s look at it the other way around, let’s make a skill and give it attributes:
✓ Huge Aoe, screen wide, a walking 30ms FG is mostly caught in it
✓ Cast time is short, not long. It seems to be enough to get you in most situations (in a melee 30ms FG)
✓ The boss can/will slow you before casting such aoe
✓ Huge dmg that can oneshot at least a mid tanked char. It’s not guarantee you can tank it nor it does seem the purpose of the skill to be tankable at all

There is just no weakness or drawback, like normally you would expect a big untankable oneshot to be escapable in a way, like either a tiny AoE or a looong cast time, this one is quick and screen-wide huge and you are also slowed?!

Compare this to I dont know a laser beam (example: Heorot massacre beam), it is wider, it deals more damage, it gets you easier. Just please EHG look into it because this one just has it all plus the killer bug

1 Like

the REAL issue is that sentinels dash REQUIRES A TARGET TO WORK(and NO, i am not counting shield dash because that is too expensive to even use). So sentinel has difficulty evading a lot of things.

1 Like

No, not really…

I don’t think you should be able to facetank a clearly telegraphed big hit. Notwithstanding other issues with it such as the dangerzone not lining up with the AoE or other bad things you could add into the mix (which ZaeN hadn’t) such as Frenzy/Haste/Deadly/etc.

1 Like

I don’t mean that the other bosses are like perfect and lovely, but:

No other single boss needs a specific setup.

I didn’t need to change a single skill or to rely on specific dedicated buffs to beat any of the other bosses.
The skillbar I am using is good for like 99% of the game.

If a boss needs even a partial specific setup like a single specific skill (that is useless/unneded for the rest 99% of the game), it detracts to the overall viability and diversity of the game.

The comparable solutions are just so much simple and nothing extraordinary or unheard of, like increasing the cast by 2 seconds or reducing the aoe by 20%.

Truly it’s just about admitting it. I can’t fathom what is so hard to mentally admit that conceptually MAYBE nothing else must change maybe ONLY the boss must change with a minimal 10% tuning or so

This boss is an outlier because nothing else, you name it orobyss, piechart bird, lagon, 3 shamans… nothing requires a specially dedicated setup nor they are so unescapable at such low corruption.

The only ones that come to my mind that come close to it are oneshots from orobyss like the sky meteor or the tunnel meteor and both have a much smaller aoe like less than half of it, not to mention the oneshot damage came from stacked dmg mods and 200+ corruption otherwise these are tankable

1 Like

The fallacy you’re having is that you think LE is like other games, where you gear up, choose skills, and then face the entire game with just that.

I’ve learned that I can swap to an untrained Skill, or swap out a piece of gear, depending on the boss I need to fight.

Also, there are some bosses where “Enemies Slow” is no big deal, and other bosses where you run more Mono nodes until that drops off before you go to the boss.

LE is not a game where to just set up your character and then face tank everything.

FYI: for Sentinels, swapping in Rebuke for that boss can work, depending on your other defenses. Alternately, swapping in two 8% silver rings might also work.

2 Likes

Then explain how a setup works for the remaining 99% of the game, and that the game philosophy is not made for you to power switch skills on the go right before an encounter (it is quite the opposite)

It is not about facetanking, there is a video, it is 30 seconds short, in the video the char is not facetanking, it is running away and doesnt make it (lol)

1 Like

Yeah, but it only died due to not having proper defenses and being slowed. If it had either of those, it would have lived.

1 Like

“Not having proper defenses”

To get more than that I need to get very close to full T5x4 on all items, and it would still be wrong because I DON’T NEED full T5 to get only that one boss at <200 corruption and one dmg mod (while all the other bosses at same corruption just are correctly done like they are supposed to do)

Btw I’ve just killed the 1029410th (poison) orobyss in another timeline, 100corruption with like 150inc dmg, nothing came close to that kind of damage, probably scratched for 300dmg, but anyway

1 Like

You’re wildly overstating yourself here. 30% movement speed is absolutely not “90% min-maxed”. It hasn’t even tapped out the full potential of a T5 Movement Speed affix on any of the 4 boot bases with high implicits - that’d be 36%, and I’ll put money on the table that with how close you were to the edge of the AOE it would have made the difference. And I know, because it makes the difference for my FG, which has never been hit by this boss’s AOE.

The real problem here is your success on “99% of the rest of the content” made you think your character is nearly perfect, and rather than accept that it’s actually not and getting better, you chose to blame the boss for having “bad design” because it blew you up on high corruption with a character leaving evasive potential on the table.

Yeah. In a world where bosses have AOEs you have to dodge quickly, movement speed is a defense stat, and yours is poor. The boss design is not the reason you died. Get over it.

2 Likes

Only if you have poor investment in movement speed. I have had zero problems evading things on any of my half dozen Sentinels.

T5 latest tier boots are 30-36. I am using a 32 rolled one there.

To say that I need the absolute best roll of the already best class and tiered boots, to MAYBE escape a visually bugged oversized aoe (maybe), at low corruption & dmg mod

I dont know how to say it gently but this is some absurd mental gymnastics so much that yes i’d rather request EHG to reduce the boss aoe by 10%, or increase cast by 1 second

32 is in fact 88.88888888888889% of 36%

1 Like

This is actually what I fully mean and what I have put in the title.

Do I need to run with Shield Rush on my 2H sword character because like it happens in the clip the AOE IS HUGE AND BUGGED

Yes I’m going to call the Zombie Dragon a real badly designed boss (with so many such easy fixes, like… reduce the AoE or slow it down to let a slow ass melee FG run away lol) until it will let me walk away without the need to use Shield Rush on a 2H sword character