Adventure Mode-like Leveling System?

One thing I really enjoyed about Diablo 3 vs PoE (which I’ve thoroughly played them both for years), is the adventure mode in D3. It was so nice for altaholics so you didn’t have to go through the story 50 million times. In games like this one where rolling a trillion alts is a good possibility for some, I feel like having a nice way to level through the Monolith maps or something like that would be amazing for replayability.

6 Likes

I would also like alternative ways of leveling.

We just need a system to unlock passives and idols slots, that are rewarded in the story via quests. (maybe we could “buy” those from the gold of our main character or with some other currency.

There was a pretty huge thread about this a while ago.
There are some really good ideas in there.

Highly recommend checking that out.

4 Likes

Thanks! I tried searching, but couldn’t come up with anything. I’m not too surprised that it has been talked about before. I’ll definitely check it out!

Sadly the thread is already closed, so it’s only for reading and getting some ideas, of what some people think.

If i remember correctly there were no major adversaries.
Some mentioned some concern, that it still should take effort and should not be “too easy” and i would agree.

Just give us variety and people can choose how they want to level.

3 Likes

The very first character should go through the whole campaign.
Then we could use another system. And why not an expansion of the Monoliths? I like the “what if” twist of the timelines, it creates interesting possibilities. I’d like to explore that with a low level character. You would not get blessings, but idol slots for example. And the difficulty would progressibely increase and therefore help with getting levels.
It should be faster than campaign (or at least, the same pace as speed runners) and bring players to level 50 approximately, then we could go on with Fall of the Outcasts.

2 Likes

Definitely agree, the campaign is fun for sure, but it isn’t something I want to repeat 50 times. That being said, there ARE 50 different builds I want to try, and an alternate way to do that would be nice. Honestly, it could even be slower than the campaign (equivalent would be nice), but only forcing the first character through the campaign would be nice. Heck, they could even play around with alternate storylines, give us some of the story that got left on the cutting room floor from the main campaign.

4 Likes

Alternative story-lines would be great but also costs a lot of work i assume.
Instead they could let you port into a different area or something and when you completed that area the vendor says, hey i see your family members been here before.
They told you all about this world so you have a lot of knowledge because of it.

Here is a Portal to a alternative Mini endgame to level faster. Or a portal to a different idea then having to do the story line all over again.
It would fit this game perfectly in my opinion since they already have those porting back and forth into time.

I like the idea of Heavy needing to pay gold for it or something to go faster trough the story aswell or something similar.

I think this would be difficult to implement. You get some passive points from doing the quests in the main story and leveling through the campaign is already a breeze. I cant’ see them making leveling much easier than it is. It’s also still a far cry above Grim Dawn where you have to run the campaign multiple times just to level up.

Not really. You already have diverse biomes in the Monolith of Fate system that could be used to mimic an alternative leveling system. They also already have built in loot chests, which would help equip your character as you continue progressing. In this alternative system, Idols would unlock via levels (there are 16 spaces and they are typically unlocked around level 45-50, so just grant 1x4 every 10-12 levels).

1 Like

Just create a monolith from level 1 trough endgame, and as soon as you complete the level of area where you would have gotten the quest reward, have an altar/Shrine/some object grant you the reward… look at PoE Delve event where they were granting those things at level where you would be expected to get it… and here is your adventure mode … you can randomize bioms etc… yes you will loose quest reward items… but if you have a high level character that reached end-game (which should be a requirement to unlock that mode) you dont really care that much about level 10 reward anyway

1 Like

I agree totally. After you have done the story ten times it gets pretty old as you’ve seen everything that it has even if there will be variations in it.
I still do the story in Diablo 3 sometimes just to make a different pace in my leveling duty. I’m now starting a new D3 season and propably will go with the story this time again, atleast to the some point until I turn myself towards the adventure mode and rifts.

I hope something like this will be implemented in Last Epoch as well later on.

4 Likes

I’m keeping this alive because i stopped playing POE for this exact reason. i reached out to the POE devs many times along with many other players requesting that they make delving a way to level alt characters. i suggest that 11th shamelessly steal/refine the POE delving system and call it something else like time labyrinth :laughing:

3 Likes

This game is real promising but i’m an altoholic. I play lots of different builds. In POE i only level 1 character per league because i really hate going over the campaign again and stop playing that 1 character after a week or so.

I hope after the devs release what they had in mind they will also look into this.

2 Likes

I would be totally ok with an infinite monolith/delving-like system, especially in a game where it’s so fun to make your own builds. I also fall off of PoE every league because they don’t have another way to level (even though adding the extra acts did help compared to running the same story 3 times on different difficulties). I really hope they give us some sort of alternative.

Would absolutely LOVE something like this. I really have a lot of fun in this game making builds and want very much to try them all out, but leveling through the story a dozen times or more does get pretty old, something more randomized would be nice to spice things up.

Lock it behind finishing the main story once, if you feel like you need to. I really think just giving us a way to level in the Monolith would be just fine, Arena maybe even. The systems are already in place, just need some tweaks to allow us to use them to level. Would greatly enhance replayability for me.

1 Like

It’s already possible to level in endgame. I met a player in LE Discord who advocated starting Arena at about level 20 (as soon as EoT was unlocked) and leveling there until 50, then monos until 60-70. Eventually they would just cruise through the rest of the story in a few hours.

So far I’ve done wave 50 arena (potentially infinite resets off 1 key), fall of the outcasts, and stolen lance on my bleed bow mm. Arena wasn’t harder than on my fully geared characters since it scaled off my lower character level. Monos started in the level 20s and ended around level 55 for outcasts and level 62 for stolen lance. The only compromise I made was to clear every 3-4 packs (instead of end of mono) to avoid freezing my potato.

TL:DR; the “technology” is there, but via a workaround that feels almost like cheating. I’m all for an “official” version that’s a bit more elegant and viable for less meta or squishier builds.

1 Like

That sounds pretty cool, and something I may try, I would just like to still not have to repeat the story on every character to get to end game. I like the story and enjoyed if the first few times, but it gets tedious. Thanks for the suggestion though!

2 Likes

That’s exactly it. And I’m not sure that at release we’ll still be able to do so.

What makes you think the devs will remove it?

Nothing.
It’s just a feeling that I have. In fact, I have mixed feelings about it. If they want us to be able to use Arena before the end of the campaign, why wait for about 25 levels? And if they don’t want, why not make a prerequisite? The situation is not very clear.

1 Like