"A build is successful if it can do 300c"

So I asked a question to Mike about the expectation of a build being able to hit 300c and potentially raising that expectation to 600c.

Based on how Mike answered the 300c bar isn’t a hard line the devs use to balance builds.
If I’m hearing correctly then Mike uses 300c as a ball-park figure gauge for the build’s success which may vary from dev to dev within the team.

Maybe I heard the answer wrong but what is everyone thoughts on this?

The reason I’m bringing this up is because I’ve heard from many other players that the target corruption level the game is balanced around is 300c.

1 Like

I think this is untrue or they dont gage correctly. Just because a build can in theory clear 300 corruption [may require a ton of 2-3lp uniques] in the case of some weaker skills does not make that build actually viable.

I been testing LP drop rates. Even in getting hundreds of uniques, I rarely found a single 3lp item during world, or questing, which is when most people are going to quit, as monolith grinding is boring. The highest drop I got, after about 2+K uniques drop in world.

Questing should award at minimum of 1 3lP item of your choosing for completing the campaign.

exactly, it will vary from person to person and from item to item.

what he is saying is more like, you dont need even 1 LP uniques to do 300c, and he is absolutely right.

and they are just repeating the misunderstood 300c that he mentions.

even if you dont do enough damage, as long as you dont die, you will eventually kill anything.
people focus too much on damage and then complain because all of a sudden enemies 1-shot you.

as far as i know, the bosses are literally designed to take more damage over time, meaning they have more damage reduction at the start and that slowly goes down the longer the fight lasts.

they specifically dont want this, nor is it needed and because of people creating multiple characters for that specific item.

2 Likes

I feel that 300 Corruption is a lowball figure for a benchmark for a functioning build.

It doesn’t take much to surpass 300. Non-meta builds can surpass 1k.

I wonder if the super slow Corruption climb is a product of devs vastly underestimating how strong builds were this season. They were expecting 300 to be much harder than it actually was, and tuned Corruption gains according to that underestimation.

1 Like

You can finish the campaign in 2h using dungeon skips. Even faster if all you want is to reach the end and are skipping quests.
So what you’re asking is: “I should get a 3LP drop every couple of hours”.

3 Likes

Right, the main thing this brings to mind as @Bokchoy wrote is that 300c is a lowball and I agree with that. Not so much about the drop rates as thats another topic but in terms of a framework to inform balancing decisions.

Freeze for example, at 300c its still going to be effective where as 600c? If the goalpost was set to 600c , assuming 300c is a collective measuring point for EHG, then it would be clear that freeze needs some adjustments.

The words that I’m confused by are arbitrary which Mike says in the video. Is 300c an actual point of balance or is it arbitrary even within the dev team.

To be fair, that does mean that the game is balanced for 300c. When they’re considering balance, they want all builds to make 300c. So, while it’s a lowball, that is the intended balance goal.
Yes, they don’t intend to stop builds from going above that , but the number they try to balance things on is 300.

Obviously, if all of them can reach 300c, there will be some that can go over it. But Mike has also said before on his stream that no build should ever do 1k+. So they have a lowest number and a highest number in mind when they make changes.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the linked stream.

For me, 200-300 corruption is the “endgame”, because that’s where the highest requirement for CoF prophecies stops. The exact highest seems to be 320 Corruption, so other than the ever-increasing difficulty, there’s no reason for me to go above 320.

4 Likes

and increased drop rates (that apply to said “prophecies” i think)… then wonders why only 0-2LP items drop

End game for me isn’t just about what gear I can get.

This game is about getting stronger, rinse, repeat.

Corruption level acts as a barometer for the strength of my character, an indication of how strong I am.

What’s the point of obtaining gear and improving your build if not to do content where the quality of your gear and build are actually being tested?

2 Likes

Just as 300c is a lowball estimate for a floor, 1000c is as much a lowball estimate for a ceiling.

Each of these need to be at least doubled to accurately describe this first cycle, with hyper-overtuned builds breaking 2000c.

Well duh me, I managed to missclick on the delete button…

It was a personal opinion.

In case you missed it :slight_smile:

Prophecies drop predetermined amount of items, so corruption has no effect on them. Perhaps you didn’t mean drop rates, but item rarity? As in, better chance to find exalted/unique items? That stops being important after a certain point too. Diminishing returns :slight_smile:

And >2LP items drop before 320 too. Source: my stash.

1 Like

Mine is my opinion too. Hope you’re okay with sharing this thread.

I was replying to Grizzly. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

yeah thats the one, rarity… i keep getting them mixed up :smiley:

1 Like

you can clear 300 corruption if you can set up loot filter for t7 exalts
you can clear 600 corruption if you can find julra and realize how to slam legendaries
you can clear 1000 corruption if you can properly slam lp2-lp3 items

on any build

Skelles are squishy and my build has trouble at 180ish. I know I could switch to dreadlord but I like the skellle hoards

Same here. I like my No-Life-Ward-Only-Lich-Without-Reaper-Form build, but even almost 6k ward not enough to be viable at 170ish. I have feel that there is no much build diversity to be honest and there are intended and broken builds only. There just no enough options to make ANY build do 300 corruption.

Maybe I’m wrong and the build diversity means just a large number of intended ones plus not tested (I mean broken ones), “possible”, ones. I don’t know what to think, but it doesn’t feel really diverse…

2 Likes

Build diversity doesn’t mean that every build will work. Some builds are complete nonsense and there shouldn’t be an expectation that it will perform at the same level as better builds.

Build diversity simply means that there are a wealth of options to create a functioning build, and there are many different avenues to becoming “strong”.

Diversity means we have choices but there has to be bad builds for there to be good builds, otherwise it will feel like none of our choices actually matter.

1 Like

If you’re running Ward only for Defense and nothing else, then you’re the so called glass cannon build. Glass cannons often lack defense layers, but their tradeoff is high DPS or fast clear times. If you struggle at 170c, then your build probably lacks that tradeoff part, but it doesn’t automatically mean it’s not viable.

Ward alone doesn’t determine the viability of a build.

I’m pretty sure if you made a google sheet that listed class skills and linked to youtube videos for builds with each skill, you’d find out there is a lot of build diversity.

1 Like