0.8.5 on the Horizon | Development Update January 2022

Olive branch accepted.

I get where you’re coming from. I agree not all trades are social. I am simply pointing out that it can be an avenue for socializing. And just because I made an argument for trade being a driver for social interactions, that doesn’t mean that I am pushing for trade just for the social possibilities. Trade is that, and more.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that while we have shared information as to our plans for various things, they are by no means set in stone. Please keep the preface of the multiplayer FAQ in mind when taking information from it

4 Likes

Socialization aside, the fundamental mechanics of “a Trade Economy” (hint: that was part of the title of an old thread, for those new here… :slight_smile: ) alter how loot is obtained in an ARPG.

You either have:

• Killing monsters (aka playing the main design of the game) as your only path to the best loot
    OR
  • Trading as your only path to the best loot

As I said to Ponpoko, this announcement thread did not rescind EHG’s previous statement that “the best loot will not be tradable.” It just said they didn’t want to go with their Bazaar idea. So, that does give me hope that they will stick with their original theme of trading being a “nice to have” but unable to provide the best loot, no matter what new idea they come up with.

Edit: and then Mike just posted the above, which is what I was referring to. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, Mike. I got tired seeing the other threads where people seems dead certain about how EHG’s approach is clear. I shall retreat once again from this topic which I have said I shall not comment on, until we have more concrete information about the implementation approach. :slight_smile:

I’m so ready for this.

:smiley:

1 Like

It can be both.

2 Likes

This goes to show you either don’t read carefully or I was not clear enough. What I said was

To clarify, there might be flowers throughout an ARPG, it doesn’t mean that the genre itself has to have flowers in it to be an ARPG.

The fact that other ARPG’s have a trade system doesn’t make it a necessary part of the genre, nor does having an economy. It’s Action Role Playing Game, not Action Role Playing Trading Game. So I would suggest that it is not me who actually has no idea about ARPG’s?

Again, you’re just making yourself look more silly. Please refrain :smile: before you get really upset about nothing more serious than discussing conjecture.

If it eases your temperament, I’ve been a constant gamer since the days of the internet first beginning and I’ve played a number of genres and countless games, solo, mmo & even LAN (in the old days). In fact I was a gamer back in my school days when we had good old fashioned original D&D, yes I am that old. So, I won’t resort to silliness & tell you that in fact it’s you that has no idea, but I will say that I can claim over 35 years of playing games with others. Just because any of us has a few years of playing in a certain genre online, it is NOT safe to assume that everyone else is clueless simply because they don’t agree with you on something!

1 Like

Haha, I know how you feel. I have 1/2 a tab of red arena keys and 1 1/2 of silver arena keys.

I kept telling myself I would make a dedicated Arena Character, but never got around to it. I, too, am looking forward to Arena getting a little bit of a change up. Perhaps then I can clean out a couple of tabs :smile:

And I would suggest you are being pedantic with your argument by trying to dissect what should or shouldn’t be in a genre just from the genre name.

My point is that the most successful games in the genre embraces open trading and one of the founder of these games goes so far as to say trade is a core pillar of what makes a successful diablo-like games, aka ARPGs. I agree with that philosophy and we can agree to disagree on that.

1 Like

I think an AH is the simplest way to go and EHG is free to make the rules.
Maybe you can only post 50 items per account and only buy/sell 10 per day.
The easiest way to curb botting is to limit trade interactions to a human level.
A high AH fee (like 20%) on every successful trade keeps gold inflation in check.
Maybe there is only buy-out.
Maybe the item is listed anonymously.
Maybe the item only becomes visible after one hour, so you can notice typos and repost it.
Maybe common trade goods like keys run under an auto-adjusting trade price like WoW Tokens depending on supply and demand.

Direct trading between accounts will lead to RMT and hurt the games integrity for sure.

LE is not the first game facing this dilemma, which means we know what works and what doesn’t.

But if trading is anonymous and there are 13 Crappy Swords of Random Mod up for offer at 5m a pop, how will the RMT company know which one paid them US$?

Compared to approaching a kiosk and searching through a list and clicking “buy”, that is indeed socialization, and there’s not much arguing that when the two options are weighed against eachother here. It’s not patently false in the slightest.

If we are to be placing so much emphasis on “get your own gear” then why is there party play at all? “Play the game, fight your own fights” no? If you want to beat that boss, then you should rebuild your character to fit all the roles and be able to solo it because respeccing is cheap and available, right?

“What it is, is Groups, which has no place in a video game (parties in general). If you want to kill a hard Boss, play the game and kill it. It isn’t hard, because respeccing is easy and cheap. If you can’t kill the boss, respec or play a different character.”

ARPGs are much less likely to run into this problem you’re describing than MMO. There are enough unique affix combi to make sure you can put something on the AH that no one else would likely put up in the next couple hours.

100% of Last Epoch will remain solo-able. There will never be content added which requires groups or parties. This has been verified by EHG themselves.

Multiplayer (groups/parties) is being added as a “nice to have”, because that actually is something social. Trade is not.

Yes, I agree. I don’t agree with your opinion, but I respect your having an opinion and arguing for it.

As far as the founder in question you mention I’m prepared to give them kudos unless it also happens to be Chris because for him to even talk about trade is in itself a joke imho considering the mess he’s made of it “over there”. I was a massive fan of his until about 2 years ago, but my opinion of him since then has fallen to extremely low levels.

Hey guys, you should lower the tone, just a bit. No one wins that way… Any feedback given gets diluted in hard words (not lecturing anybody, just friendly advice).

I didn’t expect trade topic to be so controversial. I am happy that the loot system as it is now, is so SSF friendly, I wouldn’t mind any type of trade if we get a SSF mode (not self-imposed).

Don’t come here and tell us what a hack n slash genre is

Diablo 2, wich pioneered the genre had trading. Early on when no end game existed people did cow runs, and later traded with each other. Why? Because we enjoyed that.

PoE wich is the biggest in the genre also has trading.

Multiplayer and trading are the reasons why many of us kickstarted the game.

3 Likes

I’d suggest taking a deep breath and calming down a little. That is as far as I will bother to engage with you considering the needlessly aggressive tone of your post.

With the updates to the dungeons, is there going to be randomized maps getting added to the monoliths soon?

I’m sorry but I get incredibly bored playing monos. They feel like a treadmill. I can keep changing the settings and stuff but end of the day im in the same places doing the same things. Some of the maps are just recolors of the same exact map. Its like running sections of the campaign over, and over, and over, again.

It really kills the endgame content for me. I really enjoy the Temporal Sanctum so far. Can’t wait for the other dungeons as well. I’m hoping the end game shifts more of the content to randomized map systems.

1 Like

it isn’t even supplementary if it doesn’t even find a HALFWAY DECENT item.

Sounds like you want a NON EXISTANT trading system, players will NEVER use a system that is inferior to grinding.

2 Likes