0.8.5 on the Horizon | Development Update January 2022

The gem system is undeniably intuitive - you have active and support gems.

• Active gems give you abilities - they do things.
  • Support gems support the things that active gems do.

How do you know if they go together? Each gem uses a “tagging” system, similar to the one used in Last Epoch to tell you how mechanics interact.

• Does the active gem have a “Projectiles” tag? No? Guess Greater Multiple Projectiles won’t support it… who would have thought? It honestly doesn’t take much to figure that out.

Like I said in my post, Path of Exile, at its core, is a good and intuitive game. It became unintuitive when they started adding more unnecessary skill tags and overcomplicating the whole system with too many mechanics instead of refining and balancing the base game.

Um… now they do.

I played when none of what you just said was true.

I’m not sure if you ever even played POE before. Gems have tags since I first played in closed beta in 2013.

2 Likes

Then you know all about the massive tag overhaul they have been consistently doing over the years to make those tags clearer to understand how they apply and to which gems. Which was not the case for most of POE’s existence.

I still have no idea what you’re talking about.

There is no real massive overhaul of tags. Except for a more visual revamp to make clear which support gems works with which active skill. But this is separate from the gem tags system.

So you might argue that is was less intuitive to understand Active and Support gems (which btw, is a very low bar imo and certainly something any developer by profession should be able to figure without the visual aid). But it is disingenuous to say “none of what (was) said was true” if you even played the game at all.

1 Like

Would you mind clarifying that a bit 'cause otherwise it sounds like you played PoE before they introduced gems, tags, etc which I’m assuming is impossible.

I suppose there is a time in Chris’ garage when the game doesnt have gems yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t see it the same way. Yeah, while on principle gems > skills seems to be a robust, easy enough to understand and straightforward system, is not intuitive.

I think you fail to see it because it has been around forever and we are, at this stage, so used to it, LE derives part of their mechanics and terminology from PoE itself.

The take off I can make with this point is that we are looking to the core design of a polished, complex and heavy layered version. At the very beginning, was far less complex, but the categories in tags and the interactions were much less polished and more confusing, and for sure many things didn’t work exactly as you expect now.

I think this is more of a subjective viewpoint than you may think. I think the active/support gems system is awesome & very intuitive (ignoring any bugs or nuances such as a support gem adding a tag to an active gem to allow it to scale differently). Am I right? Are you right? Are we both right & whether it’s intuitive is more (or as much as) dependent on the the player than the system?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll give you that.

Many of us played PoE and lots of ARPGs before, and when we discovered Last Epoch, damn, so simple by comparison, and the mechanics are still quite interesting and well designed, still for many people, sure this game is still far too complex and confusing.

1 Like

There’s always going to be people for whom a given thing is too complex or confusing, and while it’s good to make a thing easier to understand, chasing the lowest common denominator isn’t the best idea.

2 Likes

I am not going to go to the POE Forums and scroll through years of Patch Notes for you. Gem tags sucked and were vague and very unclear early on. Over the course of those years, they updated, refined, renamed, and improved the gem naming & tagging to make it more and more clear. Yet, some new players still slot Faster Attacks with their spell gems…

I’m not saying they weren’t but you can’t continue to judge a thing when it’s relatively mature by how it was early on in it’s life. LE’s at 0.8.4 now, would you continue to judge the quality of the skills/gameplay/etc by how it was back in pre-alpha (or any other randomly chosen version)?

There will always be stupid people, hence my comment further up.

And that’s my entire point. You can’t compare Last Epoch to POE, LE is too early in development. Games are capable of changing pretty dramatically over time. POE wasn’t an RMT / Streamer-only game when it started, but it is now. It had a large following before that, so people say its a “good” game. Maybe it was a good game, but it isn’t anymore, which is why I left for Last Epoch, which is currently a good game (even in Beta/unfinished). It would be a shame if LE, over time, made the same mistakes POE did and became crappy.

1 Like

I dont RMT and I am not a streamer and I still think POE is the best ARPG in the market now. I think you tend to make pretty dramatic claims.

PS: off to POE new league~!

6 Likes

Enjoy!

My little heart hasn’t recovered from the devastating nerf that happened to aura reservation. I doubt I will ever recover. Such a tragedy.

1 Like

Yes, Enjoy !

Personally I gave up being a masochist months ago, and I’m no longer into self-flagellation!

2 Likes

the strawman I was talking about was that I wanted trade in the game so I could get gear faster. it has nothing to do with that

because you are? lol. trade has been an advertised feature of the game for years. when did you back it? like I already said, trade has huge value for people that like it. if you don’t like trade thats fine, but many do and you’re not the only person that plays the game

1 Like

I think trade is something nice to have and is social. Why am I wrong?

2 Likes

There are quite a few answers to your question is above if you just scroll up.

It seems like your reply is not much more than “click baiting”. You could have merely stated your opinion as you did in the first statement, there was zero real need for the additional question that is merely trying to incite more argument.