[0.8.2] Crash on Startup Standalone, then also via Steam

Thanks Imarion for your info above. That is indeed interesting to note. I’m pretty also convinced now that this is nothing to do with my OS setup, having tested/amended everything under the Sun. I’m awaiting someone from LE to actually look into my account linking with Steam to see if I can even get into game on that client, or indeed if the LE-13 is in fact another false flag trail.

With all the traction now in this thread, and all the hard work and detailed info provided, I am a little curious now as to why there have been zero responses from Eleventh Hour Games personnel, and yet there are many in the “logging” thread? (5 official responses from 2 different employees)

I appreciate that this might not be as straight forward an error to fix, but some official acknowledgement of our plight would go a long way towards assuaging my growing annoyance and feeling of being ignored…

Apologies for hijacking Maelstromicus thread - this really should be in its own one…

Ok Thanks…

It does look like there is new error has been added - StackHash_9980 in ntdll and the player log still references the same driver (nvwgf2umx) as where the problem happens but it has more info there now…

I cannot find anything that makes sense with these errors wrt. your problem tho… Some people did reinstall of their OS and solved the issue (doesnt help)… others had problems with antivirus software (replaced)… still more had issues with data execution protection settings (disabled)… others had memory handling issues (specific to a particular app)… there are even some that refer directly to problems with graphics drivers which were solved by clean reinstalls which you have already done.

Please can you try the following sequence:
Do a reboot of your machine…
Run Windows Update
Run System File Checker
Reboot
Run Steam
Verify LE game files
Close steam, reboot
Close any auto starting apps and graphic overlays and any other things running - even if it seems irrelevent…
Start Steam and try the game again.

System File checker successfully repaired a few corrupted files, but didn’t say which or even how many. I did everything and still the game crashes before the login screen.

DxDiag.txt (115.1 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
Player.log (54.9 KB)
Player-prev.log (19.0 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

At least it fixed something even if we dont know what…

I just realised that you are using a laptop - the bane of my existence when it comes to fixing errors as the bloody things never play fair…

Is it running any special configuration that sets it into different modes - e.g. battery save, performance etc… Can you make sure that its set to the fastest it can go and not on any automatic mode that controls the power or GPU/CPU speeds?

Can you disable the integrated graphics from Bios etc to make sure that its not active when trying LE?

Can you check your Windows Update history for two update patches - KB5001330 and KB5001337… If you find either, please uninstall them… They were an april update that messes with some peoples gaming… Microsoft has replaced them since but some people still have them running.

Sfc leaves a log file on your PC. idk about in Win10, but in Win7 the log file sits in your Windows directory at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS

It’s the CBS.log file. Now, reading it is fun…

If you google that you’ll find the solution which is to make a copy of that file to your desktop with .txt as the suffix, it is then openable by any text editor like notepad++.
The google result I found ages ago even had a little script made that automated the copying etc for you.
That CBS file contains tons of wonderful information on what sfc did. It shows the good files, the irrepairable files (for manual fixing), and also the corrupted files that get replaced.

Hope this helps, can’t stick a link in atm as I’m in game in poe… (as I can’t play LE and support have not got back to me at all on my 13 error). No problems for hijacking the thread Vapour, if someone gets helped then at least some good has come of the thread, as it seems that for the most part it’s getting ignored as an ugly inconvenience (sorry, starting to get a little salty now).

I have a low power mode when on battery and a maximum power use-the-most-electricity mode when plugged in. I have the game set to always run on the 1050 via the Nvidia Control Panel and don’t want to mess with the BIOS (I was almost left without a GPU earlier as the drivers didn’t want to install after I uninstalled and I had to keep trying until it worked). I don’t have either of those Windows updates installed. Still bupkiss.

Is this power mode the standard Windows one or specific to your laptop manufacturer? Sorry to harp on about this but I have had endless issues with laptops trying to dynamically control performance of components even after you tell them not to - even on full plugged in 'drain-the-power-station" modes. Yes… as you can tell I hate laptops… :frowning:

This is NOT a good sign… a safe mode driver installation (as mentioned you try above) shouldnt struggle at all unless its the wrong driver or there is something else actively preventing the driver install… considering the dxdiag errors and the errors from LE, you have to be 100% confident that the drivers are installed properly and are the best/right ones for your hardware…

Hi, got the same problem here, starting up the game brings me to the account log in screen, then the pc freezes. Every now and then it manages to bring up my game account, but usually it simply freezes with the windows message that the application is not responding. I reinstalled the game and my drivers are up to date afaik. Up to patch 8.1 I never had a problem before, since 8.2 the game crashed ingame quite often and the login problem showed up. Please help, I have attached some files, if you need more, let me know…
le_graphicsmanager.ini (524 Bytes)
Player.log (10.3 KB)
Player-prev.log (10.3 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

Andragoon, you do also need to send in a proper ticket as well as posting here mate.

We have yet to have any official involvement in this thread at all, so sending in a ticket via the support page will at least formally log your problem. You can also attach the files there. I would suggest not only sending in the above files, but also running a dxdiag and saving the results/attaching that, then also looking in your crashes folder to see if there are any log files there as well. The crash folders normally lurk under C:\Users"YourUserNAme"\AppData\Local\Temp\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Crashes\

P…S. After the latest patch I’m Still at at Unity throwing an error and the game crashing pre-login screen 50% of the time and LE-13 (still zero replies from support on solving that one, thanks) the other 50% of the time with the Steam client. Crashes 100% of the time with the standalone, not even getting to logins.

I’m starting to get more than a little cheesed off that not one single employee has even posted in here to acknowledge the problem. Considering I spent about 14 hours+ trying to fix it myself and then posting all the results in here, the least I might have expected was someone to spend 5 minutes to post a quick “thanks, we know about it and we’re looking into it”. I don’t even care as much about a fix, just an acknowledgement that I am alive would be great. 50 posts in this thread, hundreds of views so far…

Not a happy camper right now! I’ve had more feedback from a second hand car dealer!

I wanted to share my experience. Maybe it will help someone with similar issue.
I bought the game on steam and and it kept crashing at startup. Sometimes I got the screen to create a new account and typing account information was incredibly slow and some time later, the nvidia drivers crashed and the game was gone. I waited 1 day in the hopes that a patch would solve the issue but no luck.

Strangely enough by changing my refresh rate from 144Hz to 60 Hz, the issue was resolved!
I hope my experience might help someone else and also point the developers in the right direction to solve the root cause.

Also I was unable to create an account through steam, kept getting LE-26, so in the end I created it through the lastepoch website

0.8.2f no change, standlone crash every time, Steam client LE-13 error.
Still no official reply, nor reply to either of my tickets via email.
My official status has changed from “not happy” to “a little angry”,

Good morning people.

Daily update:

This morning I went through my usual tests:
Running Standalone Launcher (that does work until the game exe crashes), game executable with each & every compatibility modes in both admin & user. All Crash still, every time.

Verifying Steam install. Then running the Steam version. LE-13 error still, no feedback from Customer Support at all on my ticket requesting they check my account credentials. Still get a crash on that client on first run. After repeats, get to the login screen with LE-13. Then entering my account creds from here it bounces back to the login screen. Upon spam clicking of login it will come up with the oval and the “Entering Eterra” message, but then comes back to the login screen again. I have not bothered attaching logs, as they always show the same thing. I will attach fresh logs with each new patch (as above), although they also seem to show the same thing.

To repeat, I still do not know if the LE-13 error is a genuine server denial of login, or a red herring as no one from LE has checked my account as per my request in here, and with TWO support tickets. MY Official Status is changed from “a little angry” to “tired, pessimistic, and a little angry” :thinking:

Edit: AS this thread still has zero official input (others do), I have taken the unusual step of reporting myself and my initial post for “moderation”.

I’ll try anything now to get some traction on this. I want to get to play the game again!

Hey there, sorry you haven’t heard from support yet. They are a little busy at the moment but are working through tickets as fast as they can.

I’m just on my phone this morning and I gave this thread some searches for suggestions and it looks like you’ve tried most things that would help.

I did notice that your steam repair always finds 1.3gb to repair. Almost like something is automatically removing 1.3gb of files or maybe is attempting to edit files in a protected folder.

I’m not sure exactly what’s happening but given the consistent repair size and the startup crashes, that’s where I would look first.

I’m sorry if this has already been suggested but is it possible that your antivirus program is finding a false positive and deleting a chunk of files? It should have a record of which files it has expired recently. You can also set the install directory as an ignored folder temporarily to test. I would still do one more validation after turning it off.

Startup crashes have also been linked to corrupted graphics ini files. This most often happens when they are manually edited.

I don’t generally do troubleshooting stuff so I’m not up on the most current common issues so someone else might be able to help better but this is what I’ve got for ya.

1 Like

Thanks for looking in Mike, perhaps you could ask one of your colleagues on the coding side to look in please :slight_smile:

As far as things you mentioned:

Steam repair: That’s not me. My steam install has never repaired anything. It installs without any messages or errors. Each validation has produced no errors. I think perhaps you saw that info from one of the other posters in this thread.

AV: I use Kaspersky, and both the Steam App directories and also the standalone client directories are in exceptions as well as also added to approved vendors manually. There has been no action taken by the AV in regards to a) finding anything or quarantining anything. Also, I have conducted many tests with my AV & also my firewall completely disabled.

Graphics ini files: I have done 4 news driver installs, each time using both DDU, cccleaner, and also Wise apps to clean both disk space and do registry repairs to double check DDU removing all “remnants”. I also manually check the storage places on my HD for main and use config files that Nvidia stores. So, it can’t be ini files, as none are left after each uninstall.

I still think that one of the devs would be able to make sense of my player log files & crash files for the standalone client crashes, they do after all contain a lot of information. However, then there’s also the LE-13 error on the Steam client. I did think that this was some progress, compared to my early attempts, and indeed the Steam client at least gets to the login screen, however that Error still persists, and no one has come back to me yet as far as checking my account on here and the Steam linking.

Thanks for looking in though Mike, I really do appreciate the official input. It gives me some hope…

Yea, not much I can do for you right now. Looking at log files on my phone is a maddening experience at the best of times so I’ll have to look at it later.

I’m actually a senior developer and am one of the main coders. I’ll try and take a closer look later.

1 Like

Ah, cheers then Mike, much appreciated.

There are a few other posters now in this thread, and they have posted their log files, so make sure you don’t grab the wrong ones by mistake :wink:

tl:dr As I’ve said in my latter posts, the Steam Client is getting to an LE-13 error, so maybe that with the logs in the last reply and I can work backwards with you? If I can get that client to work at least, then the standalone problem is one I can debug for you guys but at least I could play…

Ok, as you’re now here Mike perhaps this will help.
I tried the Steam Client once again. Crashes, then eventually LE-13. Just for kicks I thought I would try entering first a wrong password, then a complete gobbledegook user name and see if I got either an incorrect password or a user unknown error, or something.
Nope, still just LE-13 which makes me think that it’s possibly a red herring altogether and it’s not even talking to the login servers in the first place.
I also flushed my dns cache with ipconfig (use & admin cmd prompts)
I also logged in here and in my account screen ended all active sessions, including the chrome session I was using to do so.
I made sure that all chat was turned off in my settings, including friend requests, so the social features were all disabled.

Still, nothing.

So, here are the latest and greatest from 10 minutes ago crash logs, player logs, etc etc.

Crash_2021-05-29_223003192.zip (32.3 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (492 Bytes)
Player.log (16.1 KB)
Player-prev.log (5.8 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

Same old lines in the crash report, including the curl error to the lastepochapi

Perhaps these files will help you understand what is going on Mike. I still can’t help but think it is a Unity problem. Are there any DX11.1 or DX12 files referenced in the pre-compiled source? Is it the new Unity version being used? idk, these are just ideas that have come up.