[0.8.2] Crash on Startup Standalone, then also via Steam

Dude… you deserve a medal for going through this level of debugging…

There may not be too many people left with your configuration playing LE at the moment but this info can defintely help and maybe even give the devs something to work with… It will definitely help me when I chip in on the forum to lend a hand where I can.

Steam & Standalone can co-exist fine…

Re logins, one or two users that had the problems patched in 0.8.2C are still getting login timeouts so if it looks like its failing, leave it for a few minutes to see if it gets through…

Good luck… hope by the time you see this reply things are working…

Nope, spoke too soon. Now it’s crashing again on both clients without reaching the login screen. I got to the login screen that ONCE. Stupid me, I thought that had fixed it, turns out it was a one off.

I can’t be even bothered to look at the logs yet, I am completely sick to the hind teeth of this.

I will post the new logs later on, but unless this is fixed by one of the dev team I will just be sadly asking for a refund. It’s not my job to spend 3 solid days trying to debug a program when no one official even takes the time to pop into the thread. Yes, I am now officially fed up. This is ridiculous. If it won’t work with Win 7, then say that up front so that people don’t waste their time or money.

Oh well…

Cant say you didnt give it your best shot… Thats for sure…

Cannot offer anymore from my side other than say I am sorry.

Well, as another last hail mary I did yet another DDU removal, and reinstall of the latest nvidia drivers. Did not install either physx or Geforce experience, so they didn’t interfere.
Crashed on game client, standalone as well as Steam. In the standalone, I have checked every single executable file to run as admin on all accounts, so it should be free to wreak absolute havoc as it sees fit.

Only slight difference is that the executable now crashes only with a windows “window” and no actual debug error message, however this could also be due to all the other tinkering I have been doing over the last 3 days with my OS.

There’s no way on Earth that I can spoof a dx11.1 install on a Win7 engine, but again that;s another red herring. I’ve analysed my DX install and that is fine. I’ve sfc’d. In short I have done everything possible to see if it anything on “my end” now. I can pretty much conclusively say that it is not. I have Sherlock Holmes’d the living crap out of my OS.

In the last 2 hours I have also ran EVERY other game I have installed on my PC, and they ALL work fine without any glitches whatsoever.

The only inevitable logical conclusion is this and it is now inescapable.

The game worked fine prior to 0.8.2 on medium settings with Anti aliasing set at TAA (settings included just for reference) with the Standalone Client. There were zero crashes, zero lag, everything was buttery smooth with my old uncleaned, un-forensically examined OS.

So, 0.8.1 ran perfectly in Win7 x64 Ultimate DX11 with nvidia drivers 452.09.

Then, 0.8.2, 0.8.2B, and 0.8.2C crashes in both the standalone client and also Steam without even getting to login, login for some reason having been reached 3 times in amongst about 100 attempts. To be clear, 100ish attempts, 3 login screens, 97 crashes.

The inescapable conclusion is that this is not client side at all, but a coding or compiling issue that is causing the crash on this OS now. To find the fault from LE’s side is fairly straight forward. Look at the difference between 0.8.1 & 0.8.2 and something in those changes causes this. I thought that this is where the various log and crash files would assist. I can see line numbers are various errors in those, so I am sure that the devs will be able to make sense of those and advise further.

I am attaching the last player.log from tonights last attempt to log in on the standalone.
There is nothing more I can do on my side. This can only be fixed from the Dev’s side now.
I have put in many, many hours now into trying to fix this, most of which has been “in the blind”.

I do want it “on the record” that since my purchase (from here), I only had access to playing the game for less than 48 hours! As such, if there is no fix to this within about 90 days, I do reserve the right to put in for a refund. I will not be applying for said refund at the moment, in the very real hope that the devs can fix this problem; as the little time that I did have playing I absolutely loved the game. However, long term, I won’t leave my money in for something I cannot use, obviously.

I really look forward to some dev’s reply in here eventually. Even if it is not to fix the problem, at least to shed some light on the issue itself. Even if I cannot play the game, I would take some satisfaction in knowing what the problem was.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
Player.log (5.7 KB)
Player-prev.log (5.7 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

omg, one more update…

The standalone crashes every time.

However, I tried one more thing. I revoked the admin elevated privileges in the Steam App folder. Now, using the Steam client I have got to the login screen 5 times in a row now without a crash (fingers crossed).

Sadly, I am stuck with an LE-13 error when using my login from here, despite an apparent successful Steam link. Anyway, sent in a ticket on that LE-13 issue, so perhaps they can do their magic on the link and I might (fingers & toes crossed) be able to play once again…

I’m scared to now close the Steam client. I might sit here watching it for the next 12 hours…

1 Like

Just wanted to add, many thanks Vapourfire for all your help. I’m also in email communications with Alex from support who is valiantly trying to help.

I wanted to pop this in here for the devs/customer support.

The problem with games & modern gamers is that there are very few of us “hardcore” geeks now. While it is only me & Vapour posting in here, you should be aware that this is not just a “me” issue or me being the only one left on Win 7. I made a post on Steam, and not only are others also reporting pre-login crashes, but I am also getting PM’s on it there and from reddit.

Most modern gamers will not make posts, send in tickets, etc. They simply read the posts of others with similar problems and wait for them to come up with a ready made solution for them. This seems to be what is happening here. I’m not the only one with this problem, but I do seem to be the only one posting & debugging it. I have implored the people contacting me to also post here, but idk how that will go.

I’m having the same problem as Maelstromicus. I was posting about it on the Steam discussion forums with a few other people. I’ve tried a bunch of the stuff Maelstromicus has (uninstalling, reinstalling, Steam files verification, reboots) and I just can’t get to the login screen. I crash to desktop on the initial “Last Epoch” screen every time. The problem started with 0.8.2 and the hotfixes haven’t fixed it. I can’t play the game and I’m bummed about that. I’m not sure what to do.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem as well. I can’t even get to the login screen. It just crashes with no error message every single time. Verifying files in Steam caused it to redownload 1.3GB but the problem persists. Further verification says everything is fine, but the game still crashes before the login screen. I have my drivers up to date and overlays (Steam and GeForce) turned off. I read somewhere that vsync might be causing it, but the le_graphicsmanager.ini file says vsync is off.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (540 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (115.1 KB)
Player.log (31.8 KB)

1 Like

That was my experience last night, Nymphios. Prior to hitting the login screen (so just on the initial “Last Epoch” launch screen) I crash to desktop. No error message. Got it twice, ran the Steam files verification, and it found a single bad file that it re-downloaded at 1.3 GB. The crash still persists afterward.

The 0.8.2 hotfixes C and D didn’t affect the problem either… for the most part. On some, but not all, of my launches I can now just barely glimpse the login screen before I’m kicked back to the desktop.

Interesting that we both re-verified a 1.3 GB file, I guess.

[Edit to add] Yup, same experience as Nymphios in his reply below. Hotfix 0.8.2D affected the issue in that we can glimpse the login screen for less than a second. Other than that, no changes from either hotfix.

1 Like

After patch D I can see the login screen for a second before it crashes. Otherwise, these small patches have done nothing.

1 Like

Last update for a bit here. Got things to do and I’m mostly just overlapping what Maelstromicus has already done.

I scrubbed the Steam installation from my system. Uninstalled via Steam and searched all drives for “Last Epoch” and “Epoch” and nuked everything. Found a bunch of crash logs and some .DAT files in my user profile directory that Steam left behind. Got rid of that. Rebooted computer.

Left Steam unlaunched. So that’s out of the picture. Downloaded the standalone launcher. Installed. Launched. Same crash to desktop after a brief glimpse of the login screen. Reboot. Try it again. Same crash.

So I’m at the point where a clean, fresh, new install of the game will not work for me. That’s very disappointing.

Win10 Home, i7 processor, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 1070, default installation directory and settings.

Right, many thanks for sharing you guys. At least now the devs know that I am not the only person struggling with these issues.

Update to the Cause:

I updated all of my Visual C++ Residtributables today from the earliest version all the way up to 2019. I have both the x86 & also the x64 versions installed, so all available MS C++ code is on my PC.

I have both the standalone plus the Steam versions installed to test both. All install directories for both are added to exceptions in both my AV s/w (Kaspersky) and also my Firewall (Comodo ((The working firewall only ancient version, not the modern bloated crap))).

The Standalone still crashes straight to desktop regardless of settings: elevated privileges on/off, AV on/ff, Firewall On/Off. I give up completely with this, it seems that the compiled coding in this is busted,

Now, more interestingly, the Steam version.
It no longer crashes before the login screen, apart from the first “fresh” attempt, and when this does ctd the image shown immediately prior to that crash is briefly the Unity window with a small red icon in it with an exclamation mark.
After that, on a restart of the client it gets past the ctd.

1st of all it gets to the loading screen with no login options first. So I am assuming that it is trying to log in with my Steam credentials. The oval is shown with the “entering blah blah”. This goes nowhere, and it goes back to a login screen which at the top shows the LE-13 error. I then enter my login credentials from here, click enter and it does nothing. IF I spam click Enter, then sometimes it will also go to the oval with the “entering blah” message. However it then eventually goes back to the login screen again.

This is a ton further than I got most of yesterday, so whether this is due to the last patch or one of the attempted “fixes” I tried I have no clue. It’s odd though that the Steam version gets to this point, but the standalone exe ctd’s every time.

Anyway here’s my latest files.
Crash_2021-05-27_135925734.zip (31.7 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (492 Bytes)
Player.log (11.2 KB)
Player-prev.log (5.9 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

Screenshot of what I see for less than a second and the brief Unity error box. All of this (the game, the error box) disappears completely without letting me interact with it. So this is as far as I can get.
Unity_Crash_screencapture.zip (1.8 MB)

Just a quick note here… @Maelstromicus is using Win 7 while it looks like @hillsteve and @Nymphios are on WIndows 10… so its important to differentiate the issues here otherwise the waters are going to get very muddy…

I will reply to each after looking at the files you have included…

@Nymphios

Based on problem description and the files you provided:

1. Windows 10 Os is patched 19042, graphics drivers look recent enough… integrated graphics is old but hopefully not involved

2. In game settings are a bit of a mix and perhaps you may want to dial back the Ultra option on your 1050 - Ultra settings are a known cause of instability… even on high end GPUs and your is (like my 1060) pretty old now. I would also change the grass density setting in favour of more performance… Framerate limits etc look good.

3. At the end of your Dxdiag file, there is a diagnostic section… This includes all the recent errors and crashes you are having… I see the Last Epoch crashes… and they are all reporting that the crash involves nvwgf2umx.dll which is part of the Nvidia Drivers… You did not specifically say that you did a full clean driver re-install and it may be that something is wrong with the driver files that will not be fixed by just running an update… I would recommend the windows safe mode driver removal and reinstall process - you can do this manually or use a tool like DDU explained here by the EHG developers

You didnt include any error logs that the game may have created so thats about all I have to go on for now… the driver issue could very well be the cause of your problem and this would not be the first time someone has posted and had that issue.

EDIT: one last thing… based on your support badge… I am assuming that you played the game some time ago… have you been sticking with the updates or has it been a long time and you are hoping to use the same config/savegames etc… I ask because sometimes* the new patch doesnt work that well if you have a very old set of saves i.e. you missed a few patch interactions and the game struggles to convert the old saves etc… just something I thought of based on your forum name support badge…

@hillsteve

Welcome to the forums…

Unfortunately you didnt provide any sys info, dxdiags or game logs so its tricky to immediately guess what could be specific to your case…

Please could you add the files…

Hello, had a look at the problem.
I have a strong feeling it is not on end user end, neither totally on dev’s end, but on Unity’s end.
Here is why.
In the player log we see the game was built with Unity 2019.4.23f1 which was released on 24th of march.
In the error log we see:
No mono DLL path set. This app is either running IL2CPP, or the crash occurred before mono was initialized.
Which gives this result when searching on Google: https://forum.unity.com/threads/standalone-build-pc-crashes-when-built-with-il2cpp.681682/
This specific problem was due to the size of the project it seems (it links to https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1156527_9rk0vni8p77ive6q)

In the player log we see some objects are missing like:
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘GUI’) is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘SceneLoader’) is missing!

more strangely:
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object ‘Rock’) is missing!

That could be indeed explained by memory issue due to the size of the project (not enough memory to instantiate all objects).

But I have an alternative “opinion”:
As the dev updated Unity, this could be due to the build system or regression in the Unity SDK. I myself noticed regression in 2019.4.23f1 in my little project.
So my suggestions are as follow:

• build 0.8.2d with the same Unity version that worked in the past (let’s say 0.8.1 was working for the OP and was build with Unity 2019.4.19f1 → build 0.8.2d with 2019.4.19f1.
  • build a previous version of the game that was working for the OP (let’s say 0.8.1 to keep the above example) with Unity 2019.4.23f1.
    Then the OP can test both versions.
    I think we can eventually get nice conclusions out of this.

[edit] Saw after posting there is a newer 2019.4.27f1 version. That could be interesting to give it a try as well.

3 Likes

I deleted the Last Epoch folder in AppData (to reset settings and delete old saves) and did a clean re-install of the graphics drivers and it still crashes before the login screen.

Drivers via safe mode removal etc? Ok…

What does the Diagnostics part of the dxdiag say? or Windows Error logs? Does it still reference the Nvdia driver file as part of the problem or has it changed?

Does the error and player logs from LE still report the same thing?

Sorry, forgot to include logs on last post.

Player.log (30.6 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (115.1 KB)