[0.8.2] Crash on Startup Standalone, then also via Steam

Well hopefully Hillsteve now we have Mike’s attention he can shed some light certainly on my logs & problem; and hopefully that will have a knock on effect of also solving yours and others as well :smiley:

1 Like

Also, before the end of the week I plan to be installing another SSD and using this one as a test device. I will be installing another version of Win7 from scratch, minimal software but with LE Standalone and seeing if I can get anywhere towards whether or not it is some 3rd party s/w that is causing these errors or just the base OS itself in “virgin” form.

All of the log file info cumulated should be showing this info (or the conflict anyway), but as I don’t have access to the uncompiled game source code to cross check against, I cannot do that myself.

In case anyone was wondering where I came by this debugging process, I used to work in an industry where we made out own software for controlling cnc machinery using VB. That and an inquisitive mind, OCD, and spare time is a recipe for madness :wink:

Hopefully, in the meantime, if Mike can identify the exact cause of the conflict then I can forensically examine my PC from my end to find out where that cause is. Assuming ofc that it’s not some errant DX11.1, or DX12 instructions included by mistake in the source.

Just dropping a quick a line that today’s patch, 0.8.2.g, did not fix the issue. No change at all. Same as before.

(The G update looks to be tweaking content and in-game mechanics more than anything else. As such I wasn’t expecting anything here.)

ok, 0.8.2.g.

Tried standalone at 11:15, same result crashes every time.
Tried Steam 11:55 whirled the oval, “entering Eterra”, then goes back to login screen but this time with LE-13 showing, tried account credentials, whirling oval, “entering Eterra”, then back to login screen LE-13 again. Steam files all verified, as usual.

So, new patch made no difference. There were no new crash files generated in /local/temp either in the usual crash sub directories or in the temp root.

Attaching the 4 log files from C:\Users\zzzzz\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch, version & player-prev were only updated last from the standalone, but the other 2 were affected by the Steam Client attempt.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (492 Bytes)
Player.log (11.5 KB)
Player-prev.log (5.7 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

Awaiting delivery of my new SSD for creating more test scenarios…

So Nvidia just released a new driver (version 466.63 released 6/3/21) for my GPU (GTX 1050 notebook). I updated to that version, but the game still crashed before the login screen. I then verified files in Steam and the game worked! Framerate is quite a bit down compared to the last time I played (a few months ago), but I can play again! POG!

Good news. Sadly, I have tried 4 different driver versions, exact same results on each.
I am pretty certain it is not driver related in my case at all. I have eliminated that in my many installation scenarios.

Hey there… Told you I was worried about that comment you made about your GPU driver not wanting to load the first time… Glad an update worked and you can play again… I play on a 1060 desktop graphics and I find that I can play the game very stably between 40-60fps on very low settings @ 1080p without my GPU wanting to blow up… So I would expect yours to be less than that… I have not personally noticed a major framerate drop (barring known bugs that are being fixed) but then maybe I am the frog in a pot of water on the stove as I have been playing regularly.,… LE defintiely is not optimised when it comes to performance tho… Some tips… be sure your graphics driver is set to performance mode on your laptop and make sure you enable framerate limiting to keep things stable…

I get similar framerates with everything set to very low. Previously (a few months ago), I had stable 60fps with a few things turned up. GPU is set to performance and FPS is limited to 61 (it’s funny that the fps stops at 1 frame below what you set the limit to-so I set it to 61 to limit it to 60).

1 Like

0.8.2.H

Guess what, still crashing…
Steam client, same behaviour.: 4 crashes straight ctd with the small window appearing for unity with a small exclamation point, then on 5th attempt it gets to the login screen, but with the false flag LE-13 error. All crash logs (it made 3 of them this time) and usual files attached.

Crash_2021-06-06_105046154.zip (31.8 KB)
Crash_2021-06-06_105104698.zip (32.4 KB)
Crash_2021-06-06_105120120.zip (30.9 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (492 Bytes)
Player.log (14.8 KB)
Player-prev.log (5.8 KB)
version.txt (6 Bytes)

I haven’t even attempted the standalone yet, but I can 99.99999999% guess it will be, wait for it… another crash.

I have my new ssd, so today my mission is to clean out my fans, replace one, do saome case maintenance, then install the new ssd.
On that new ssd I will be running a new virgin Win7 setup (only SP1, Visual C++, .Net & necessary updates), only graphics drivers, no additional software, and I will test the steam & standalone on that OS. This will provide me with a “clean” win7 benchmark for my hardware alone to see if it is a s/w conflict that is annoying Unity so much on my side.

Along with that I am also going to be installing Linux Mint 20.1 as I do like Mint as a distro. I will be testing the Linux version of the game on that OS. If that runs well then I will be more than happy, as I absolutely refuse to ever use Win10 Telemetry Edition, so Mint or another distro is my long term OS goal anyway.

So, Mike, you can look forward to a ton more testing results in here once I am done with that setup. I do hope you are keeping tabs on my woes. I still look forward to your interpretation of my logs, as I would love to know (as might others) what is causing the Unity crashes on my “usual” OS.

Well, based on the times that these come in at, you are either an ultra night owl or we are on inverse time zones. I have been keeping up with the progress but I don’t really have much useful to say yet.

Fresh install on a new ssd sounds like a very good way to go at this point.

I took a peek at some of the log files. I haven’t made it through all of them yet but I’ve seen nothing significant at all.

I know you don’t want to do it but win 10 is by far the most stable, widely used and playtested OS that we have. The population of people we have not running win 10 is teeny tiny…

I know some people have gotten mint to work but it isn’t technically one of our supported OS’s. If it doesn’t work and you’re feeling adventurous, you can try Ubuntu too.

Cheers Mike. I’m in the UK, but as you guessed I am indeed an ultra night owl…

As far as Win10 goes, it’s completely out of the question for me. I don’t know Bill and his mates personally, but I certainly don’t want to give them info on all of the software I have installed and the files I have stored. I don’t much like browser histories, but at least that’s only for things I do while not behind my vpn & using Tor. I’ll not use an operating system that has that amount of telemetry & lack of user control, ever.

I’ve got my tower back together now, but need to take it down for some unanticipated extra maintenance. Then I just need to do a lot more installing, so I won’t have a lot in terms of results for another day or so yet.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, so that shouldn’t throw up a ton of hoops, although I have used Ubuntu a lot in the past, so if needs be that wouldn’t be a stretch either.

The “clean/virgin” Win7 install will be enlightening, but it’s worth still bearing in mind that I experienced zero issues with 0.8.1 on this OS, it was only the change to 0.8.2 that broke it completely. So logically it has to be something to do with one of the changes made; and my money is still on a graphical element that references either Mono or DX directly through .NET. That is where I was hoping you would find a clue in the log files. I appreciate you’re busy though, but I can’t help feeling that this is all somehow connected to the other people having problems since 0.8.2 dropped.

Thanks again though for keeping involved, I really do appreciate it.

Ok Mike, I am pleased to report some success (at last).

I can’t go as far as to mark this as “solved” but I have narrowed down what it is not…

On my “virgin” Win 7 install I have: Win 7 SP1 + Simplix (non telem updates), .NET48, all VC dists, Nvidia drivers, Asus Smartsuite(for fan control), MSI Afterburner(fan control again), 7Zip, Chrome, CCCleaner, and Spacesniffer installed. Nothing else. I’m using the nasty Win firewall as I’m only using this OS as a testbed.

The standalone works on that with no issues that I have noticed. So, the conflict on my main OS has to do with one of the many hundreds of programs I have installed over time, or the remnants of that. It’s therefore NOT a DX conflict, not a graphics driver conflict, or an OS conflict.

Anyway, I’m able to play once again and it’s been an “experience” getting back to this point again.

If those log files above don’t shed any light on the subject, I doubt we’ll ever really know the offending culprit that caused the latest patch not to work. I don’t have the time to install every program one at a time to see which one is the culprit, that would take me weeks.

Thank you and everyone else for all the help and participation in this thread, I really do appreciate it. I will still be testing out the Linux client in due course (I am a curious cat) and I will post any results of that as and when. :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I’m glad we’re making progress at least. Sucks that it’s been such a slog. The only relevant thing in the log files at all was just that it was basically being blocked from going to the internet somehow as you had already pointed out.

From your log file:
Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: api.lastepoch.com
Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
Curl error 6: Could not resolve host: config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com

Yeah, that was weird. I had everything with anything at all to do with LE added as exceptions to both my AV and firewall, and I also tried completely turning off my firewall and AV.

However, unless those host names changed between 0.8.1 & 0.8.2 that shouldn’t have been the real issue.
My reasoning:
My hosts file hadn’t changed.
My dns provider hadn’t changed.
My ISP & router settings were unchanged. It all literally went from working fine 0.8.1 and then not working at all 0.8.2 with no real time lapse and nothing fundamentally changed on the OS. I also tried a flush as well.

On the “virgin” Win7 I haven’t even had to add the client or any LE folders to exceptions at all and it logs in and plays fine.

Something pre-existing on my old Os disagrees with something new introduced in the patch. However, I scanned every line in those log files and couldn’t find a decent clue relating to a conflict. That was where I was hoping that your inside & expert knowledge of the coding side and the conversion from C++ to C# would unearth some language in those logs that led to a magic Eureka moment.

Well, dual booting (well triple actually) is a pain in the jacksey, but despite the hardship I guess having a super clean Win install purely for the odd game isn’t really a bad thing. I can’t really reinstall my “daily driver” as I have a ton of s/w and also programming/compiling platforms setup on there. I do a fair bit of tinkering…

I probably should have mentioned it earlier but if you’re doing a lot of fresh loads, ninite.com is your friend for getting the little things back up. It cuts out all the extra bloatware crap and installs/updates multiple programs all at once.

Perhaps the link is wrong Mike, but that site is all about picking kids up from school & avoiding traffic?
Maybe you need to put your feet up, pour a fresh coffee, and have a biscuit break :wink:
I think you might be overworking…

Lol, ultra wrong. Autocorrect sucks.

1 Like

Hey…

Thanks for going through all of this effort and reporting back… Glad you did manage to find a solution even though the cause is still as elusive as ever.

:+1:

1 Like

Cheers Vapour, and thanks for your involvement matey.

I think it’s more of a workaround than a solution, but at least I’m able to once again enjoy the game. I was starting to doubt that would ever happen :wink:

Sadly, the Techie in me feels completely unsatisfied. I do hate an unsolved technical mystery. Still, I won’t be installing/uninstalling several hundred programs just to find the culprit. Even I’m not that obsessed… (or am I ? )

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.