Witch/Hex/Warlock

Warlock:

Why on earth would you call a female witch a Warlock?

I don’t know what the aversion to calling her a “witch” is, and if you can’t call her that…Then might I suggest:

“Hex”

Merrian-Webster: Hex (noun) a person who practices witchcraft. Key word being “person”.

1 Like

Why is a female Rogue called MarksMAN?
In german we say Schütze or Scharfschütze to a male marksman and Schützin or Scharfschützin to a female marksman.
But at the end you still hear people say “Sie war der Schütze” “She was the killer”.
The astrological sign Sagittarius is called Schütze in german. So a woman is always Schütze there.

2 Likes

Imho the Acolyte is beyond gender classification. :grin:

We already had this discussion. It did not have any valuable results :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

then why use a gender specific tag for one of the masteries?

Would would you think of a male gender locked amazon character?

Or a male gender locked Valkyrie character?

I think its an embarrassing over-sight.

Makes 11th hour look a bit amateurish (in my opinion of course).

1 Like

We already have this: Sentinel Javelin.

You’re missing my point I think.

Valkyrie is by definition female.

But we can argue all these subtleties till the cows come home. I left this suggestion for the developers to think about.

This isn’t a complaint on genderlocked characters… but a mislabeling of characters.

A warlock is male. If the character is female then there are plenty appropriate titles for her.

Not sure why my two friends are giving you a hard time about this. I made a snarky remark in another thread myself, but you have a point. With gender lock being there for now, the term “witch” might be more fitting.

Fun fact, since you suggested “Hex”. “Hexe” is the German word for “witch” and “Hexer” for “witcher”. Also since the expression warlock is from Scotland it did not find its way into the German language.

That said, i thought about your suggestion and one aspect we should not neglect is that we do not know how the new masteries will turn out. For example, if the new mastery favors a rather melee playstyle the term “witch” might lead to false expectations (not saying that warlock is necessarily better).

Overall, i think renaming is at least something EHG should consider when implementing the mastery.

1 Like

Thanks man.

No buddy,
I didn’t miss your point. I just did not treat it seriously.

Also I remember you to be the master of snarky comments so I guessed we could have had some fun. :grin:

You have a point. There’s nothing to argue about this.

1 Like

A javelin is a weapon, it doesn’t have a gender. The Roman legions used javelins.

Would you not find it odd if someone used a male/female German word to refer to a female/male person? There aren’t many in English but they stand out when the “wrong” one is used.

Both Necromancer and Lich are gender-neutral terms. There are instances where Warlock is also gender-neutral, so its not really out of line.

How frequently is it used in a gender-neutral manner compared to referring to a male practitioner of witchcraft?

can you give examples? Did you read the mulitple definitions of warlock i presented?

Google “female warlock” yourself.

1 Like

The point is that since Warlock can be gender-neutral and Lich and Necromancer are already gender-neutral, Warlock is a better choice for a gender-neutral title than Witch which is female. Although, there are some uses of Witch which are also gender-neutral as well. So, it really doesn’t matter. A class title is just that - a class title. Marksman is being used as gender-neutral here (and in other references) & (to some extent) Shaman can be gender-neutral.

but Its not. Warlock means male witch. You call females witches, you call males warlocks.

1 Like

It can also be used for females as well.

I could name the class fuzzy bumper hetero hippo too.

how? give me an example.

By who? There’s a word for female Warlocks. Just like there’s a gender-specific word for female actors.

Just google. Witch is often used for both men & women, and Warlock is the same.

My point was not about the grammar. On top, you picked the wrong word to get nerdy about. We are talking about characters. And I mentioned the Sentinel - obviously male (more obviously since the rework). He (the male character named Sentinel) turns into a male version of a Valkyrie by using the gender neutral skill (we can agree here, although in German javelin has a gender - also male) named Javelin.

I mean, chances you would pick the right argument were 50/50… Better luck next time :grin:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::kissing_heart::kissing_heart: