Witch/Hex/Warlock

I did:

1 Like

For my post I provided definitions of Warlock. LINKS… ok? Show me a definition where it says a warlock is a girl?

1 Like

Or maybe my knowledge of arcane German isn’t as good as you think it is. I thought we were talking about English names? English has no name for a male Valkyrie (since they were only female warriors).

“Better luck next time”…

Though IMO, I wouldn’t be surprised if a dev popped in here at some point soon.

The first link I found was to WoW which has both male and female Warlocks.

The second link I found contained this passage:
" the e-Study Guide for Rock and Roll: A Social History by Paul Friedlander traces the word back to an Old English origin where the word meant “oathbreaker” or “deceiver”, but Early Modern Scots popularized a new meaning of the word which was the male equivalent of witch.

The book also states that ‘Witch’ can be used for either male or females but it is more often used for females, but this means that technically you could use Warlock for females."

Lastly, of course, D&D has a Warlock class which can be male or female.

the problem with using wow as an example is they dont’ gender lock thier classes. So when they created the class by default one or the other wouldn’t fit perfectly.

so if they had made it “witch” the male version would have been inaccurate. They made it “Warlock” so when you chose female then it was inaccurate. Their only option would have been to call the class “Witch/warlock”

Witch is also gender-neutral, but they chose Warlock. So did D&D. Just saying.

here is the problem I have w/ your method of discourse. You’re presenting opinion as fact. Warlock is MALE. OK? SHOW ME a definition that proves otherwise… you can’t just “say it” and expect me to take it at face value.

I’ve shown 4 definitions. Where are yours?

But that’s exactly my point. Valkyrie is female. Yet the LE equivalent is male…

Are you seriously arguing about this with me. Bored maybe?

Attention all devs! Emergency weekend recall! Somebody on the internet is not serious about a topic on our forums

This is ridiculous.

1 Like

In the real, actual world we live in, two game companies used Warlock as gender-neutral. One of which is D&D, which most of these RPG games are based on.

Also, I posted the reference to the article which quoted a history book (e-Study Guide for Rock and Roll: A Social History by Paul Friedlander) which clearly states that the term could be gender-neutral since Witch was.

Not sure what else to tell you. D&D > all… :slight_smile:

Yeah! Exactly!

Are you just trolling?

" In Norse mythology, a valkyrie is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live"

Tell me what character in LE is the equivalent to this?

But the Sentinel isn’t the male equivalent of a Valkyrie & taking 1 skill doesn’t make it so. Should a Warpath-using Sentinel have a different “class name” (or whatever) to a Rive-using character? Would that make builds that use several different skills mutli-class?

It’s taking a while to set up my new phone & get everything transferred over.

1 Like

I just find it odd that people care more about what something is named than how it plays (not that we know anything about the new Mastery yet).

Etymology is a strange science. The fact that D&D and WoW used Warlock in a gender-neutral way for a class name actually “creates” or “manufactures” the new definition of the word “Warlock” and serves as a de-facto validation of that usage.

No one thought “cool” meant “neat” until someone decided to use it that way, and now that’s what it means.

TL;DR word definitions change over time.

fact? I’ve not seen D and D refer to female witches as “warlocks”. Not in the table top.

Is English your 2nd language?

I want you to show me a publication where it says it is gender neutral …and stop just saying it is.

Because warlock isn’t.

https://5e.tools/classes.html#warlock_phb

In D&D, you can roll up a character as any gender (and race on top of that), and any class, including Warlock.

Not sure how you can be an RPG fan and not know D&D. :slight_smile:

Your link proves absolutely nothing.

You: “D&D doesn’t refer to female witches as Warlocks”
Me: Provides link to 5th Edition D&D materials clearly showing a class called Warlock in D&D, and that classes in D&D are not gender locked.
You: “That link proves nothing.”
Me: smh

While I agree with you that language changes as & when people use words differently, your entire argument appears to be “but D&D does it”. I hate to break it to you, but D&D (& even WoW) are fairly niche, even as far as games go. They aren’t some massive arbiters of language.

If you ask the average person on the street, they’d assume it was refering to a male person.

2 Likes

Having a choice in a game to choose between “male or female” for a warlock does not mean that warlock is gender neutral. It means whomever made the game decided to chose between witch or warlock and accept the fact that roughly 50% of the choices wouldn’t be gender accurate.

This game however doesn’t have that problem. Th Warlock is a female. LOCKED. So my question is… why Warlock?

And if you insist that “Warlock” is gender neutral please link proof. I’ve looked. I’ve linked. Show me. Its not. The very meaning of the word is “male witch”.

Would you create a class, gender lock it male then call it Sorceress? No I don’t think you would.

1 Like