Why's there no ballista build since v0.8.4

My last attempt didn’t do very well. Here it is for reference: Marksman, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.9.0j) - Last Epoch Build Planner

1 Like

I thought about this myself. I was thinking maybe making an exploding build with Tripwire. Not sure if that would be fire damage or minion fire damage. Will have to research.

Falconer will most likely be the minion focused Rogue class so I guess better to wait for that.

Side note: pretty weird that every class will have a minion focused mastery(Forgeguard, Necro, Beastmaster, Falconer, Runemaster) but only two masteries can use a major weapon type(Bows) and only one class(Sentinel) has support for block and shields.

We don’t really know how much minion focus there will be on Falconer and Rune master.
I am almost certain they will not be “minion-focused”, but rather have some minion support, but it’s not the main trait of that mastery.

Same with Forgeguard. I wouldn’t call Forgeguard a minion-focused mastery. It is just a regular Sentinel Mastery with some minion support.

1 Like

The problem is that IF you are going to go the minion route, you 100% have to spec for it. There are really no hybrid builds in that respect. You either go ALL minions or NO minions.

It’s too bad there isn’t a node in Flurry that would let you proc Ballistae. XD

The closest thing is Utherin’s Stand…

1 Like

While working on a potential idea for this thread I have once again encountered the bug and have detailed it with a new video over here:

Would def like feedback on it.

WTF?

I’ve done the Flurry/Multi build like three times, never seen anything remotely like that!

To make sure I understand the issue, it’s that you’re firing so fast Multishot is a continuous thing, right? Or is that somehow what it’s supposed to look like and I’ve never achieved it?

1 Like

ballista used to be hardcore tourney winner and LE Orbys race winner, but since then there were a few undirect/nerfs changes to it and now it’s kind of bad, u need very high investement to make it work, decent might be explosive ballistas. Althought it’s squishy.

1 Like

I did some research earlier today with Tripwire and the exploding balista’s don’t hit very hard, at least not from regular increased fire damage. I’m not sure what you’d need to make it work. I had fairly high dex and lots of other stats and it just didn’t seem to hit for anything.

either build of ballista requires gear, it’s not overpowered build like necro has etc, which destroys content with little investement

1 Like

I beg to differ. Here’s an example of an extremely powerful totem build that does T4 dungeons and 500 corruption easily. And the player told in one of their more recent videos (third one below) that they pushed to almost 1000 corruption with that same setup, which is easily achievable.

1 Like

3 of its 5 skills are minion skills and 2 of those are exclusive. There’s also the fact that Forge guard is notably worse than Void Knight and Paladin for any player damage(hit or DoT) based builds. Only real thing Forge guard has going for it is its minion support.

Forged Strike is no pure minion skill, it can be played as a regular hit or ailment based skill.
Also Ring of Shield, while beign a “minioN” skill can be used as a regular defensive/utility skill withotu focusing on the minion aspect.

I also disagree that Forge Guard is notably worse for player damage than the other 2 masteries.

I had very successful Forged Strike and Smelter’s Wraths Builds.

And you can also use Forge Guard for some of the regular Sentinel skills that are avaialble to all classes.

Forge Guard has great passives that grant a lot of %inc dmg or crit for melee skills.

Overall its a more defensive focused mastery and surely Void Knight is better at dealing damage, but that doesn’t make Forge Guard bad.

But were they comparable to VK/Pally builds?

1 Like

From my experience I’ve tried to make hit based Forge Strike and Smelter’s Wrath and bleed based Forge Strike work but usually the mana generator(Rive/multistrike/judge) or support skill(Warpath) ends up outdoing these skills and carrying the build. These two skills are mechanically clunky as well as having awful mana costs and even more clunky ways to scale damage(like Javelin and Fresh from the forge or keeping minions alive with Sunforged set).

Void Knight’s Anomaly and Paladin’s Holy Aura cover the crit and both have %inc damage from passives IN ADDITION to the base class bonuses.

Even defensively all Forge guard has going for it is a bit more armor and even that requires you to get hit multiple times which isn’t really reliable.

It’s an odd combination of things that I believe are combining. It is also definitely a BUG.
Multishot is not continuous. It is that Flurry’s attack speed gets so high that it appears that Multishot is being procc’d by the Flurry and Multishot nodes.

Here is a list of attack speed buffs:

Skills:

1. Flurry: Fusillade
  2. Flurry: Relentless
  3. Flurry: Alacrity
  4. Flurry: Arrow Storm
  5. Flurry: Adrenaline Rush (Cold Bowmage only)
  6. Multishot: Back To Back
  7. Multipshot: Repeater Bow
  8. Multishot: Readied Arrows

Passives:

1. Rogue: Swift Assassin
  2. Marksman: Bow Mastery
  3. Marksman: Draining Arrows

Items:

1. Bow: Hell Reach
  2. Quiver: Sanguine Hoard; Light Quiver; any Swift affixed Quiver
  3. Rings: Quicksilver

Bow Attack Speed with ALL of the above (No Legendaries):
95% Standing Still
140% after building 5 stacks of Bow Mastery and Relentless

1 Like

Yeah it never occurred to me to run Shaman to play totem spriggan. Might have to try that out someday.

I personally consider a build that deals considerable damage starting at around 700% increased damage to be genuinely viable. If you’re asking the player to stack any more than that, they’re really pushing the limits of what the equipment / blessings / idols will reasonably allow them to do without giving up other things like defense stats or movement speed. If you really need 1100% fire damage for a build to start to pop off, one has to question why it wouldn’t have started being effective before that point.

But 700-750% is a good rule of thumb, seems like. That’s about what you can expect people to rack up by the time they’re level 70 and are a good ways into Monolith.

Bins put out a new video today on Ballista. Thought I would add it here for the funsies.

2 Likes

Thorn Totem Shaman with 9 totems is unplayable without Spriggan as you cant sustain the Mana cost

Spriggan Rage Totems can give over 100 Rage a second. You might be able to play explode totems using only 3 at once in human form but I doubt it you either need Legacy Quiet Foresst belt/rage totems

You can also viably play Meteor Spriggan and sustain the costs due to the massive sustain

1 Like