Why's there no ballista build since v0.8.4

I plan to build a ballista marksman, but since I’m pretty bad at making a build myself, I looked for one on forum. However, there’s no ballista build since v0.8.4 and even before that, there are very few builds.
Is it because ballista being bugged or underpower so no one wanna try it?

1 Like

Generally ballista builds are lacklustre overall. Thats being polite.

Compared to other builds and metas in the Rogue classes, its abysmal and thats being very polite.

2 Likes

until you get ballista idols, and some other things, all ballista is really good at is giving you ward.

Necroing this conversation to see if there have been any changes to ballistas since October. I’ve been struggling with a build around these guys. Arthritic hands = less dexterity, and it’s nice to have a little AI oompf to help with mowing mobs down. I was combining it with the smoke bomb to try to help my survivability.

I don’t mind it as a support ability for other builds, but it’s not something that you can really use as a primary attack in the game’s current condition.

What I think would be kind of interesting would be to use it in multiplayer to give potions to allies. I’m not sure if they can see the potions it drops or not though.

I have been mulling over this exact issue of how to build a Rogue minion
Ballista cannon because I have a few pieces that look like you might be able to make it work – I have some weird ideas and always need an excuse to run a new toon through the campaign anyway. XD Will advise. Also working on Bowmage 2.0 and will maybe post a review on that.

All totem builds in the game’s current state are garbage, which is highly disappointing because I love that play style. I don’t know why they bothered to include them at the pathetic usability threshold they’re at currently.

1 Like

I agree. I experienced that recently. All the creativity in the game goes out of the window as soon as you realize what abilities the idols and gear want you to use. At that point it’s just a matter of accepting it, because there’s nothing you can stack to go around the meta.

Ballista is just not really good at monoliths.

I think with some effort you might be able to make a decent arena ballista build.

Ballista have okay damage and really strong synergy with dark quiver that can potentially make them really decent if you are fighting in a spot for a while.

The problem is monolith has you moving around, if you are the type to just rush objectives tho it should work fine.

You can also try exploring the new on death explosion stuff. it scales really hard with dex. You can get screen wide explosions that get lots of damage from dex. I played it into empowered and mostly had a problem with mana and my own defenses. (And the trip wire being a bit annoying to aim sometimes)

Spriggan works pretty fine for me :man_shrugging: .

That’s one of my biggest problems with LE the build diversity is very little and all the development time seems to go towrds some kind of damage convesrion uniques that offer nothing but watering down the classes. Needing a procc smite on throw attack idol on sentinel to make it good is completely abyssmal. From my point of view uniques and idols should add to the gameplay and not be mandatory.

Well for Balaistas… they suck and it looks like the devs have more important stuff to do then to rebalance skills right now and that’s a good thing looking at all the construction sites there are in LE.

1 Like

I haven’t tried that one, though I am currently leveling toward it. I tried all the other totems though, I even went into Shaman just to try Storm Totem, they’re all lackluster compared to nearly every other skill I’ve tried.

When I read statements like this – this is how I look at it:
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

3 Likes

My last attempt didn’t do very well. Here it is for reference: Marksman, Level 100 (LE Beta 0.9.0j) - Last Epoch Build Planner

1 Like

I thought about this myself. I was thinking maybe making an exploding build with Tripwire. Not sure if that would be fire damage or minion fire damage. Will have to research.

Falconer will most likely be the minion focused Rogue class so I guess better to wait for that.

Side note: pretty weird that every class will have a minion focused mastery(Forgeguard, Necro, Beastmaster, Falconer, Runemaster) but only two masteries can use a major weapon type(Bows) and only one class(Sentinel) has support for block and shields.

We don’t really know how much minion focus there will be on Falconer and Rune master.
I am almost certain they will not be “minion-focused”, but rather have some minion support, but it’s not the main trait of that mastery.

Same with Forgeguard. I wouldn’t call Forgeguard a minion-focused mastery. It is just a regular Sentinel Mastery with some minion support.

1 Like

The problem is that IF you are going to go the minion route, you 100% have to spec for it. There are really no hybrid builds in that respect. You either go ALL minions or NO minions.

It’s too bad there isn’t a node in Flurry that would let you proc Ballistae. XD

The closest thing is Utherin’s Stand…

1 Like

While working on a potential idea for this thread I have once again encountered the bug and have detailed it with a new video over here:

Would def like feedback on it.

WTF?

I’ve done the Flurry/Multi build like three times, never seen anything remotely like that!

To make sure I understand the issue, it’s that you’re firing so fast Multishot is a continuous thing, right? Or is that somehow what it’s supposed to look like and I’ve never achieved it?

1 Like

ballista used to be hardcore tourney winner and LE Orbys race winner, but since then there were a few undirect/nerfs changes to it and now it’s kind of bad, u need very high investement to make it work, decent might be explosive ballistas. Althought it’s squishy.

1 Like