What not to do: Lessons from PoE from a 1400 hours PoE ex-player (part 1)

A good penalty does scale over the course of the game, just the last few levels will be the ones, where the penalty is really prominent.

If the exp lost scales up and the time required for level ups, the exp loss will become more and more grave, that’s how it should be.

So it does affact you at all stages of the game, but is not as significant early on.

Regarding players who reached maximum level: Death penalty is not the only way the game incentivises player to try not to die.
Current MoF system is a good example for that.

Once you reached max level, you did a great feat and you basically only have to deal with all the other game systems that penalize death’s

Yes there are and there is already one in place for MoF progress, which is great, but i would like to have multiple of those layered, so you have one for specific endgame systems and one “global”, which always affects your character, like exp penalty.

How much time a given player has does not necessarily corelate on how they feel about these kind of things.

If a certain game system makes every little bit of progress you make feel rewarding it is a good thing.

With no penalty everything you achieve does not feel like you accomplished something, that does not change that much, evne if you spend less time in a game.

1 Like

One point a lot of people missed, include myself, is. It is doubly bad if you lose hours/days of progress when you feel its is not your fault.
Disconnection, off screen projectiles, lag. etc

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is solution either. I have no problem with frequency of trading but item availability.

And if they really want have some easy trading, I think they just have to separate leagues for people who want to trade and for these who don’t (self found) and adjust drop rates accordingly.

That’s why to have some challenging content where you are limited by tries or time and don’t add general xp penalty on top of that. It really can make game frustrating and not fun.

If I start run in some challenging content, where I can get nothing if I die or even lose something, I am pretty ready for this possibility, but when I just want to start game in the early morning with some coffee in hand, just to wake up a bit, there definitely should be place, where I can do it without risk of being annoyed for losing progress.

I am all for challenges and hard content, but penalties should be targeted on these people, who signed for this challenge.

1 Like

I never said there should be no penalty. In fact I emphasis ,many time the need to have penalty, just not a specific time base one.

If I have 1 hour a day gaming, I spend 3 days to reach a certain experience. I died & lost 3 days of my progress. HOW does it not have a very negative impact. Playing game is about fun, not to stress oneself.

Again if people like that type of stress, there is HC.

Does it feel good to hit level 95. 96 in PoE with the yellow aura showing, hell yes, but it doesn’t take away the stress and horrible feeling of that last 10-5%. Personally.

1 Like

For me “challenging content” and game systems like death penalties are 2 seperate thing.

I also want hard challenging content.

But having penalties makes everything you achieve just so much more impactful and you actually feel like you achieved something, once you reach that next milestone.

If you want to brainlessly play and chill with your morning coffee that’s fair, but i personally would not like that in aRPG’s.

I could live with very little to no death penalty in the early/mid game, maybe the death penalty jsut starts to kick in once you reached lvl 80, 85 or 90.

What i want is a system that makes the last few steps of min-maxing your build really hard to achieve and i feel like just “hard challenging content” is not achieving the same result.

“I have no problem with frequency of trading but item availability.”

So how is this different from PoE trading, which you mentioned you prefer over D3. Just curious, not trolling.
You pretty much can get anythng you want trading in PoE. Just the process of the trade is a PITA.

I do think SSF is a good idea. I personally will not play, as I do not play ARPG witout friends, but for sure it would be nice as an option when the game launched or later.

“Stressing your self out” is just a mindset IMO.

I never stressed my self out in these type of games.

Of course there were moments were i was like “OH NO”, but in the end, once i achieved the next milestone it did felt really great.

And i really repeat myself very often here, if the penalty is only impactfull in the last few levels, it does nto even impact alot of players, that don’t even play acharacter that much.

And even if a casual gamer player only that one character and eventually reached lvl 90 and get’s stuck on the level ups, they can still make progress via items or other game systems.

1 Like

We are NOT against death penalty (Death penalty is univerally agreed upon).
The discussion is “XP lost on death” as a penalty.

Can we at least align this as we moved on.

1 Like

I personally don’t know any other form of penalty that would be impactful enough.

If EHG get’s the economy right, maybe gold/repair costs, but that’s probably really hard to achieve.

And since i didn’t heard any idea about potential other death penalties yet, that i liked i just hold on the exp loss.

Death penalty should be IMPACTFUL at every level imo.

Why would you want it to be impactful only a few final level where most gamers may not evne reached ot care to reach?

Shouldn’t a good death penalty (which suppose to make sure players play properly by punish them for playing badly) be impactful at every point of combat, if the purpose is to make players play/gear better?

Can you explain your logic?

I prefer PoE trading not because it’s good, but because D3 trading ruined the game for me, so I will take any form of trading, even shitty one, over AH style, which killed the game for me. So better question would be, how D3 AH killed the game for me? (Do I reapeat myself too much :P)

I had my Demon Hunter, 100 hours into griding somehow managed to get into Inferno. In 100 hours I found 1 legendary item, which was completely useless for me and rares I was wearing were really shitty, I just could not progress any further so I farmed and farmed and I got nothing. Then guy in chat told me, you are supposed to use AH. So I checked AH and I was able to deck myself with much much better items for gold, which price were around 50 cents. So I did that (used gold not real money, but again, it would cost me like 50 cents). Suddenly I was powerful, but I realized I have nothing to look forward, I know every drop for now on will be worse than what I have and I am always just few clicks from upgrading my character.

Than I realized that reason I can’t find anything is because low drop rates are here to protect AH economy.(which they later confirmed) As self found you have no chance to progress, loot game is ruined because of AH, but buying items from AH kills any reason to play game more.

I thought many times about this issue, and I am not sure if there is any viable solution except separating both player bases into own groups with own drop rates. Keep drop rates low for trading leagues, so items will have some value even months into the league and give self found players own league with much higher drop rates.

So why I would prefer PoE trading? Because it’s so complex and annoying that most people are avoiding it, ergo, devs don’t need to protect economy so much and can adjust drop rates to the point, it’s not impossible for self found players to deck themselves. (I am self found player mostly so of course I am biased)

2 Likes

I would not mind a death penalty that is very imapctfull throughout the entire game.

But i think there are ALOT of people against death penalty and i can unterstand them.

So making a death penalty only very impactful at the end, prevents casual/poor players from locking them out of content/buildpossiblilties

So i personally would be totally fine with a death penalty that basically does not affect the “average player”, but does impact the higher end players.

And that’s why i said multiple times, that i am ok, that the last few levels are “only” grant a few passive poitns and base hp/mana.
If you are not able to reach this, because you don’t play well enough and die too often, a highly skilled player does has some edge over you, but it does not lock the poor players out of the endgame experience entirely.

1 Like

d3 sucked because yellow items are generally worthless, PoE is better because you can actually USE yellows to red maps, Uniques are DEF impactful in PoE more than D3; BUT!!! Having a specific unique REQUIRED to make a build function and having little to zero chance to find it, KILLS the game. THAT is why I’d really like build defining stats/ability UNTIED to the item, tied to something LIKE gems in PoE and MAKE uniques REALLY unique. Make the base drop common, let gems drop a BIT less common, combining into a REAL ‘unique’ item THE CHASE!

1 Like

D3 vanilla had yellow items, which were much better than legendaries, problem was their drop rate. iLvl 63 of yellow item could be godlike and best what game had to offer at that time.

I can understand your line of thought. I do not agree, but I understand.

A few things I want to point out. I do not think most gamers are against death penalty. How do I come to this conclusion? Pretty much every action game (with exception of lego games) has death penalties. Most gamers like some form of challenge, without overly challenging, which is a balancing act & depends what type of gametrs you are tailored to.

Death penalty is neccessary IMO at every level because it is important for gamers to improve & play better, & prevent glass cannons at any levels. If I am level 96 (or 100)& said I stop caring about leveling. WIthout meaningful a death penalty, what is stopping me from converting my toon to a full glass cannon?

The last points, what other penealty are more impactful than xp lost as death penalty?

Other than your character dying like HC. I doubt so, but impactful not necessery means better.

If my son did badly in his math test, making him to sleep in garage for 3 days will be very impactful. But is it the best thing to do, compare to say give him more math excerise to do?

Most action games uses progression gate (say beat a boss to progress to next level)/ restart from checkpoint on death, often both. They are popular as they work. Balancing between challenging while not overly fustrating.

2 Likes

It is really hard to come to an agreement on this topic, i can tell you that from literally dozens of discussions here on the LE forum alone.

This topic has been discussed numerous times.

I think the devs have insane amounts of input from the community and we have to see what they make out of it.

I am genuienly curious and we might get surprised with what they come up with.

I am totally open for trying out new things, if they work.

1 Like

I’m with Kiadaw, I’m against exp lost when you die, I think losing some echoes like now is fine. It sets you back but not all the way back.

4 Likes

Setting back echoes is an atrocious system design. I cannot imagine they are supposed to replace each other.

1 Like

I’ve played PoE since February of 2013, and was part of the alpha during the period when the fourth act and associated content was being developed (item filters, jewels, etc.). I’d estimate I have about 5000 hours played in it, or so; I have 1400 hours on Steam, but much of my playtime was a) before the Steam client was released, and b) on the stand-alone client in the last few years. So that should give you some perspective on my history.

One thing that has a big impact, in the things you describe with PoE but also with whatever we see coming out of Last Epoch’s further development, is how small mechanics relate to large-scale design issues. What you look at in a game and expect to find may not be what the devs intended. When discussing how a specific mechanic works, you absolutely have to keep in mind what that mechanic was intended to do. That doesn’t always mean that the mechanic is solving that problem correctly, but there’s a difference between “I don’t like the design decision behind this mechanic” and “I like the design decision but I feel it’s being implemented poorly.” That is something I feel like you don’t really address in your posts at all.

Let’s take the penalty on death: for you, you feel like it’s wasting your time and stopping you from getting to max level sooner. But in Path of Exile, Chris wanted things that way. It’s not like WoW or insert 90% of other games here where you’re expected to hit max level, and your build must be planned around that, and you’re possibly locked out of some content because of it. Getting to level 100 was intended to be nearly impossible. So if you’re having problems with it, good. You should be. Of course it’s changed over the years, as more and more people (especially streamers) no-life games and larger communities lead to more optimized play, so now it’s much more common than it used to be. The amount of experience needed to hit 100 in PoE has been increased repeatedly. Most builds should not be capable of hitting level 100 without truly immense levels of investment in time and gear. This is a mechanic that is doing what it is intended to do, and doing it well. You may not like the core design decision behind it, and that’s fine. But it doesn’t mean the mechanic is inherently flawed. What is that xp loss costing you in PoE? A few passive points, perhaps, so your build isn’t as good as it could be later. It’s not locking you out of content, it’s not affecting your item drops; really, anything beyond level 90 or so in PoE is just icing on the cake. It does not change your core gameplay experience; I think it’s the expectation of being able to hit max level that causes more of the dissatisfaction than the death mechanic itself.

A lot of your other complaints with PoE (and I’m not saying they’re invalid, some of them frustrate me as well) come from a similar place: you disagree with the core design decision, not the way the mechanic is implemented. The current trade system in PoE is crap, I will certainly acknowledge that. But back in the day, it worked. Chris wanted people to interact with each other in trading, and that actually happened. Trade chat was something you actually looked through and read; a number of good friends now were people that I did actually meet and talk to through trading in PoE, who I would not have met otherwise. That was a design decision, and the ‘mechanic’ of not having an automated trading system worked well. Unfortunately, that is one mechanic (and, possibly, design decision…it’s hard to say) that did not hold up well over time. What works when you have 1k or 10k players doesn’t always work now, when you have over 200k concurrent players at peak.

So what’s the lesson LE devs should take from that? It’s not that an auction house is necessary (other people have commented appropriately on that issue, so I won’t). It’s that whatever trade system is designed must scale well.

Most of your complaints (and my complaints) about combat in PoE stem from the same issue: design decisions and mechanics that were insufficient to handle the changes that came to the game over time. The pace of the game was far slower when I started playing in Feb 2013. Rare monsters and bosses telegraphed the only one-shots that existed very clearly, you always had time to read what modifiers were affecting rare monsters and prepare for scary combinations like extra crit and extra damage. If monsters exploded on death, you sure as hell didn’t have the dps to kill them all at once and then die to the resulting explosion stack.

However, as new skills and items were introduced, power creep inevitably came in, and especially the last few years (with influenced items, fossil crafting, etc. etc.) the power creep got really out of control. Now everyone expects builds to go super fast, and GGG can’t ‘turn the clock back’ to slower gameplay without losing a lot of people who prefer the fast play. So, they added new mechanics to challenge these crazy-fast, high dps builds. That’s why one-shots were added, because life leech in PoE can heal you immediately past anything less. That’s why on-death mechanics were increased, because nothing else could threaten a build that clears the screen in one or two clicks. Yes, these mechanics feel really shitty as a player, and I hate them too. But once the power creep got so far, what else could they do? PoE has always been designed for the top 5-10% of players, to keep challenging them. These mechanics stem from that design decision.

So, how does LE avoid those same pitfalls? Go back to the core issues, not the specific mechanics you’re complaining about. Keep power creep under control. Be aware that players will always find ways to make builds/characters better than you expect. Be careful when adding new mechanics that could greatly imbalance, say, gear availability (this, imo, is the big source of power creep in PoE).

The way that crafting is set up in Last Epoch will, I think, help avoid the issues with both trade and power creep. Trade in PoE often feels essential to players who aren’t deliberately playing SSF because trying to craft your own high-end gear is a terrible experience if you don’t have a ton of currency. You can pretty easily craft things to get you through white/yellow maps, but beyond that, the investment and knowledge required to craft nice items is too much for most people. At least so far in Last Epoch, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Of course you’ll ‘need’ to trade to reliably get exceptional items, but you also don’t really need those items to experience most content.

I think if I had to pick one lesson that LE devs should actually take away from PoE, it wouldn’t be anything about any of these mechanics you’ve mentioned. It would be to always put the long-term health of the game above the hype you get from adding the next new shiny thing. GGG used to do this–and the community used to support them in it, during closed/open beta. But as the game gets more popular, as you get more players who expect different things, as your fora or subreddit or whatnot get overloaded with the loudest voices, it can be damn hard for a company to stand their ground and stick to their core design principles. And it can be hard to see when those principles start to slip, until it’s too late.

12 Likes