What are the advantages of Last Epoch over Path of Exile

Sorry - i was absent many days

Your thought is that the POE has a time advantage VS LE

I will allow myself to disagree. For GGG it is very difficult to develop the game because they have a very outdated decrepit engine. If they had a very fresh engine now, they would be able to implement in general Great opportunities. But ggg has no such engine whereas LE DO has such engine.

You say that all these possibilities will appear in the future and LE will get much better, but POE will also get much better over time.

If this goes on, then LE will never overtake POE

In order for LE to “surpass” POE, the skill system for LE should already be much better than the skill system for POE, because the engine for LE is fresher than that of POE

In addition, the system of skills for POE is not completely finished or perfect

Genuine skill system is an eractor set (mechano) that offers infinite variety
There are no positive surprises in the predetermined path
In such a situation, there will be no way to make any super unique skill
From atoms to create molecules from molecules to create cells this is an eractor set, it is infinite and unforeseen, - which is very creative. Yes, in this case Synergy will be lowered. But unexpected unique skills are worth it

GSS = Genuine skill system

Only the GSS will allow you to create skills that surpass the predefined skills in visual and mechanic aspects
Only the GSS will allow you to create skills that surpass the predefined skills in visual and mechanic aspects

PS
The advantages of the skill system should already be laid down at the initial stage of development of LE

PS2
If the skill system is initially predetermined, then there will be a huge number of people with similar skills
In such a situation, there will be no way to make any super unique skill
Creativity won’t be very high

We don’t know what is happening behind the curtain, but LE already has layed out some of their ideas and i am sure there is a ton of stuff behind the curtain “almost” finished (maybe, i don’t know)

While surely LE will not “overtake” PoE if both are actively developed, LE still missing “core” features, while PoE only implementing seasonal content.

Regarding the engine. LE also runs on a engine, where no Iso-Metric aRPG (or any realtime game) in this genre ever has been made, as far as i know.
I am not so sure if LE has any “advantage” in this regard.

A game such as LE cannot come out of nowhere and just has as much content as PoE, that is simply impossible.

PoE also started as an Indie Game and has grows very much since.

I don’t know if LE will ever “overtake” PoE, but since the core audience is just overlapping, but not 100% the same and LE is actively trying to do things differently, i am more than certain that LE will reach a state where it is a worthy competitor (in a good way)

Having competition in the same genre is always the best for both games, especially for the players/consumers

LE tries very hard to do things differently in many regard. I am not sure if the goal is tpo “surpass” PoE, but muc hrather create something different.

I don’t think there are a lot of advantages of LE over PoE.

LE is fresh. Easier to get into.

But everything else is in favour of PoE.

• Content
  • Polishing

This is nothing LE can ever come close to. Maybe if GGG would stop development now and EHG has some years to catch up a bit.

There are a lot of new cool features in LE, but I won’t judge them to be “better”. They are different. The whole package of LE works great as it is. As does PoE.

I hope these two games never stand in direct competition as “play one, hate the other”. They are competing because they both are ARPGs. But people could play both.

I’m really excited about LE. But this doesn’t mean that I think it’s literally better than other games. I like many aspects in LE, but some things in PoE are nice, too. The difference is what makes both games worth playing simultaneously.

I take the opportunity to dive in right from the start. This makes the learning curve less steep when the game evolves.

D3 is a good game, too, btw. But its characteristics make it less appealing to me. Doesn’t mean it’s “worse” than LE.

Imho, from a objective standpoint theres nothing that makes LE better. For me it’s all emotion. The new experience, being part of the fresh start, helping this game grow because of the massive potential it has. This is why I’m playing LE.

4 Likes

??? Pretty much every aRPG is isometric, from D1 all the way up to PoE, Wolcen & LE.

I am talking about games within that genre being made with Unity.

Unity has not inherent great support or tools for this kind of stuff, so EHG had to totally come up with stuff them selve.

Agree.

Personally for me, I’m heavily wishing for LE to have a multiplayer experience that would interest me as POE clearly has a solo player focus. If MP isn’t that game changer, I would be hard pressed to say how (based on current LE development) LE can compete on being different, rather than falling into a “better than” competition, which would be a very tough competition if POE keeps up its development.

1 Like

I would say the main thing is the skill system, in PoE the gems you socket in your skill won’t change much how the skill funcions, most of the gems are just for increasing the damage, where in Last Epoch we have an entire skill tree for each skill and it can completely change the skill based on what you pick

Others have gone into more detail, I’ll just chime in with the few things that really stand out to me:

1. No unidentified items
  2. No Accuracy system
  3. Skill trees are a better way of modifying skills than 6 links
  4. LE is way way way way way more SSF friendly than PoE can ever hope to be
  5. The crafting system in LE is the best of any arpg I’ve ever played
  6. There is no map mod that any build absolutely cannot do (unlike ele/phys reflect, no mana regen, no leech etc)
  7. No flasks in the game (my hands love LE for it)
  8. No mana leech in the game
  9. Gameplay pacing is better in LE than PoE imo
  10. While playing LE I feel like the Devs have designed the game with a lot of care and respect for the player, rather than make it RNG upon RNG upon RNG

Just my 2c.

Is this based on personal experience? I’m not a game developer, but still interested to know. Because I doubt any engine could be so popular without handy and multipurpose tools available.

Also, before Genshin Impact release (Unity game) I believed that Unity is an “engine for small and simple games”, but now I can see that it’s more about skill.

P.S. As far I know, Unity grows fast because of a large community, developing those tools.

No personal experience at all.

I think Mike Weicker form EHG (or maybe some1 else?) talked about it very early in the games development, about they choice of engine and stuff.

Kidna interesting, but can’t find it right now

Afaik unity does the job but worse then other engins. The performence and optimisation was in the past (no idea about the present to be honest) very bad. On top of it unity lacks possibilitys other engines offer. I’m not up to date anymore because the people who bashed Unity in the past got quieter in the last years.

With my old hardware Wolcen ran far better then LE but right now it looks like the new hardware makes no big difference for both games. Sadly it still looks like the requirements for LE are overkill for the overall quality and performence of the game compared to other games. Then again LE has some time left untill release so we’ll see what happens.

Dude, lets be honest - every game runs better than LE :disappointed_relieved:

I have stable 60 fps with …
Wolcen: 2K, highest settings
Lost Ark: 4K, high settings (not ultra) IN LABYRINTH with dozens enemies around !
Grim Dawn: 4K, ultra

Damn, even Cyberpunk 2077 with average settings shows 40 fps in 2K on my PC.

But playing LE in 2K I don’t always have 60 fps just staying still with some Sentinel (Ship location, some void locations). And when my necro’s rogues drop their flasks to a bunch of enemies my fps drops to 15.

I like LE. And it’s much more optimized than it was 2 years ago. But it’s still very unoptimized.

Genshin Impact. It changed my mind.
Unity may still be less functional than most engines, but now I can see, that right hands can do wonderful things.

genshin impact is still a system requirement monster non the less. You can make a lot of stuff working with the engine but to me it still feels like the “recommended” system requirement section never is on spot.

Well, it runs smooth on my PC, though it still melts GPU like every Unity game, indeed.
But anyway, my main thought about Genshin and Unity is about its devs achieved something I believed impossible before: beautiful multiplayer Unity-game with a lot of landscapes to take your breath. And by beautiful I mean beautiful in comparison to any other beautiful game running smooth on the same PC. That’s not the same as watching every next “Heretic” engine demo-movie.

Except, it’s not (they’re Kiwis, not Chinese).

"Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

Our Chinese publisher, Tencent, has acquired a majority stake in Grinding Gear Games. We will remain an independent company and there won’t be any big changes to how we operate. We want to reassure the community that this will not affect the development and operations of Path of Exile, so we have prepared answers to some questions you may have about this investment."

1 Like

Out of curiosity, can you name one major development path Tencent has dictated for GGG since they have invested into the company? From my understand Tencent hasn’t done anything to GGG since they bought into it. It’s OK to be little worried if there is reason to be right?

The chinese PoE and original PoE client are pretty much totally independent from each other.

I think there was never a “defended” them.

I really don’t bother much with politics and from a consumer side i haven’t seen anything that changed to the worse, since they bought in.

If you personally don’t want to support certain parties that’s totally fine.
But from a consuemr perspective i don’t see any reason to neglect PoE, just because Tencent is affiliated with them somehow.

That’s one way for someone to earn a vacation…

3 Likes