What are the advantages of Last Epoch over Path of Exile

I don’t think it’s quite like you’re saying it is. The base instability you add per craft is 5 (unless you use the glyph that reduces the instability by 0-2, name escapes me) regardless of whether you’re lvl 1 or lvl 100. When items drop at higher level with higher tier affixes they have lower starting instability than if you’d crafted it up to the same tier from white, but the instability you add is always the same, regardless of your level or the number of tiers on the item (use of glyphs notwithstanding).

PoE has far more and deeper personal goal potential - you’re kinda done with LE pretty fast.

1 Like

For me three reasons to quit PoE and go playing LE (after release, cause a wipe is expected):

• PoE’s death penalty that makes me puke every other time and
  • no offline mode, I need to be able to play w/o (stable) internet and
  • aoe skills in LE are much much muuuuuch better telegraphed than in PoE - actually you got a chance to dodge and win the fight 1st try (the bird-like boss in monolith area tower top for example, forgot the name), and no unforeseen oneshots so far, even with a squishy build

Yeah, I didn’t say anything about the amount being added.
I meant, that either the amount of instability or the amount of Affix Tiers are tied to your level. The reason for this thinking is, that you can craft an item up to a point where you can’t craft anymore because you need higher level.

This might either be the amount of instability which is on the item, the increased level requirement because of the higher stats or a mix of them.

Your character level does not have to do anything with instability.

There is a certain threshold, how high you can craft items on a given character depending on it’s level, but this is only a soft threshold to prevent making insanely powerful items on a given character (you can kinda overcome this, by crafting a given item on a second higher character, since the actual level requirement of the item is lower than the requirement to craft it).

Other than this there are only certain base items that drop at certain content (area level) and some of the class specific shards don’t start to drop before lvl 40-60.

So besides base types and class specific shards, which are actual not super super high level, there is no real benefit of playing a very high levle character. (besides the obvious few passive points and hp and mana increases, that you gain by leveling up).

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
The Instability connection to the level requirement was just an assumption from me. I thought it was either the stats you craft, the instability or a combination of both which defines the level requirement.

I just tested it out with a Silver Ring:
1.) Bough from Shop with one Tier 3 Minion Health Prefix and 0 Instability, Level Requirement 8.
2.) Crafted a Tier 3 Health on it with a resulting Instability of 12 and a level requirement of 14.
3.) Crafted a Tier 3 Armor on it with a resulting Instability of 26 and a level requirement of 20.
4.) Removed ALL Affixes which resulted in an Instability of 32 and no level requirement.

Therefore it seems only Affix Tiers affect the level requirement and the crafting cap.

But sorry that I used this thread to discuss this :stuck_out_tongue:
Here are my two cents for the comparison of the two games:
1.) I think its so much easier to get into.
2.) You have so much less of those “crafting materials” and conventional gold to buy stuff.
3.) The crafting is punishing and rewarding at the same time. You really get that high if you are able to craft this last T5 Affix on a good item :smiley:
4.) The combat is less hectic and therefore you can even handle it if you don’t press 4 potion buttons all the time and move with mind boggling speed through the enemies.
5.) The bosses are really well executed and some are pretty difficult if you try them for the first time. But after making some changes to your gear or your overall build you can kill them quite good.
6.) It is easy to change your build if you want to try something else. You don’t have to farm those orbs or make a new character to completely change your character (except the specialication which is not changeable).

All in all I think this is a really cool ARPG :slight_smile:
BR

1 Like

No wipe is planned for all current save files (which are stored offline) and will work with the Offline-only version of the game at launch.

The Online-only version (server authoritative multiplayer) has yet to release, but will require everyone to start fresh as all saves are offline so they can’t be trusted and transferred to the multiplayer environment. Multiplayer is planned to have leagues/seasons similar to PoE & D3, with a “standard league” where characters from past cycles will still be playable.

Beta online characters may go into this standard league at launch, or they could just as easily be migrated to and merged with our offline saves. I’m not certain this decision has been officially made yet, but I suppose we’ll learn more about these plans in the future.

1 Like

Thanks for that clarification!
Means back to playing, I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

This was what I was replying about. Depending on how you view it, the maximum tier you can take your items up to would limit the amount of instability you can add, but I’ve never really thought of it like that.

Hi, I played PoE over 7 years (started at open beta) and I have now switched to LE.

• I never managed to play SSF in PoE, because I love theory crafting and always need specific items for my build. Farming items with divination cards or hunting specific influenced bases is too time consumming. Crafting is too random in PoE. So it always ended searching items on trade sites. In LE, I don’t need to trade, because I get the items I need with crafting. LE crafting system is the best I found in an ARPG. I can’t believe GGG waited for so much time to try something like Harvest league. I even put very strict loot filter so that only items for my current build drop (except idols).
  • Items are identified, and you can filter items by affixes. This means once you have set up you loot filter, you can blindly pick all items on ground and clear your inventory every few runs. You don’t have to stop, pick the item, identify it and check it’s stats.
  • There are too much things to do in PoE. Got burned by the grind required. This may be an advantage for PoE for some people. I’m 38 year old and got kids, my time is better balanced with LE.
  • Melee is competitive with spell casters and ranged in LE and there is more diversity in melee skills you use. That may now be the case for PoE, but Melee had always a hard time in PoE (except cyclone)
  • You have 5 skills, not one main skill and a movement one, because you don’t need a 6L. This may not be true if your build rely on specific idols or affixes.
  • It is not mandatory to max resistances : giving monsters resistance penetration is a great idea and you don’t have to handle things like -30 res penalty
  • There are no dozens of league items requiring specific stash tabs for storage and leading to extra inventory management
  • LE has a native Linux client. That’s the main advantage for me because I don’t have game crashes anymore.
  • LE Multiplayer seems interesting with support builds possible.

Anyway, both games are great, are well managed by their company and have good communities.

POE is not “farming-centered trading-balanced grindfest”

For the most part POE is a buildmaker IMO

““farming” not predictable”

GGG could make various rewards after killing unique boss. (costly body armour, costly ring etc) in this way it will never be predictable

General thought

In LE skill development is predetermined in the form of node-net whereas in POE you can link to active skill unforeseen support gem and get unforeseen result skill behaviour.
For example - i was very suprized when i found out that i can link togather lightning warp and spell totem thus getting “jumping” totems :))) strong fun!!!

Reward absance is not only POE problem - it is general psycological problem
You can not doubt it. psychology says: - after tension of forces (exerting all nerves) player must get reward ELSE а positive associative connection is not formed.
I learned psychology and sey again psychology asserts that effort must be rewarded
If i was killed the shaper during 30 minutes and killed him on the 6th portal then i must get reward otherwise, I may not be satisfied.
Yes i killed the shaper many times but because of gameplay valuables but if GGG stimulated player with various costly rewards then i would be happy as a player.
BUT i know that some skills like blade vortex (i don’t remember exactly) have 20 milliont DPS and killing the shaper is easy in this case and should not be rewarded. I said only to balanced active skills.

Yes, you are right if i translated your thought correctly

POE has mixture between 1400 nodes + 400 gems + 50 jewels = incredible ponential

This kinda connects a bit with

I am not sure if that’s what @kiss_me_quickmeant here.

I think he was more talking about “goals” you can set yourself. Like I want to kill Boss X or i want to reach delve depth Y or i want to explore the whoel atlas and get Z watchstones.

All of this will most likely come over time in LE.

Your statement about nodes, gems and jewels is kinda unfair at this point anyway, as i stated in my very first statment. PoE is already actively in development for basically 2 1/2 the time LE is.

Also alot of those “potential combinations” are worthless, since they don’t work, so on paper if you don’t look into details it looks more than it actually is.

In LE skilsl are pre-determined that’s right. But LE has one thing that makes it way more exicting for me.

Skill Synergies

In PoE there is literally only a handfull of skilsl that actively work together (like Drain Essence + Contagion or the New Hexblast + Curses)
Since LE’s skill system is pre-determined it has fewer possibly combination, but most of those combination are way mroe fun and matter more and are actually way easier to balance (this will come in handy in the long run)

All that’s being said. PoE is and always was a great game. But with all that’s being mentione dhere i am certain LE will be a great competitor, when they implemented all the base systems

You’re both right. PoE is a farming-centric trade-balanced grindfest. It’s also about making builds (& potentially spending as much time in PoB as PoE). They are not mutually exclusive.

Well, now that i think of it, biggest advantage of poe is probably the amount of skill to select from. Sometimes i wish there were more skills in LE.

1 Like

Ive played PoE for 7 years. I am basically in an abusive relationship with this game. Ive done almost everything in PoE, I have an unhealthy amount of level 100 characters and 17 40/40 totems, found a mirror etc. Its actually rather embarrassing. I havent played PoE since October and would be playing it right this second if the league wasnt delayed, grinding XP til the moment I went to bed

Ive watched PoE become the monstrosity it is and rode it all the way, im burned out of the game as ive played it so long but ive had a blast but the game also made feel like i want to kill myself on some situations (deaths at 99, blowing all my currency on naught compared with awful shit irl is a devilish thing)

I feel I have to also take an entire week of work to ‘get a good league start’ and make sure I get all my grinds done in a timely fashion. During a week off ill play PoE 16 hours a day for 9 days - no joke. Ill play for about 5 weeks then get so burned out i dont login once until the next league. One league I was so burned out of grinding the same map 3000 times I couldnt go in this map for more than 2 mins for over a year

Grinding in PoE for challenges can be utterly absurd as well. Imagine if when LE is released they add in ‘timed challenges’ that have to be completed in 3 months and one is to kill Rahyeh 150 times and theres more too.

PoE is also extremely bi-polar in its reward system - I can farm the end game bosses over and over and get almost zero money made due to economy saturation however I could then kill some random skeleton and it drops an exalted orb. Ive killed Sirus the end game PoE boss over 90 times and hes never dropped a sword called The Savior. whats the drop rate 1%?

I admit finding an exalted orb is a nice endorphin rush, and finding a Mirror of Kalandra is like being punched in the face out of the blue, however the trade economy is like dealing with a government that is fueled by conspiracies - the economy is extremely questionable and you can make the most money in PoE by buying cheap items before a rush and selling them 5-7-9x the price. dont even get me started on RMT…

Last Epoch is way less demanding game and yes has vastly less content than PoE currently but its not fair to compare LE to PoE now, more like PoE in 2015 which I think compares pretty well

LE is way more respectful of your time. PoE is definitely not

LE’s crafting system is way more basic but on a smaller scale more rewarding. Crafting an insane item in PoE is an insane rush of RNG but usually filled with disappointment

PoE does have the most robust character development system in any aRPG ever, maybe any game and their currency system is in fact genius, PoE blew me away years ago and had/has the potential to be the greatest game ever conceived marred by dumb decisions holding the player back as the devs force their views. Theres always discussions on loot in PoE how its just ridiculous and it all drops Unidentified so you never pick up anything and just hide it.

LE’s loot system is actually so much better currently than the insane bloat of PoE which also causes huge performance issues which devs STILL have done nothing about, its infuriating and I havent even mentioned trading in PoE which is the WORST

So to sum it up, unless you enjoy devoting tonnes of time into a character - I actually do. Then LE has a huge advantage over PoE. its potentially more ‘casual’ but that isnt a bad thing. If you have a social life and children then you should not play PoE or at least expect to excel in it, your life will suffer extremely for it, the game is basically labelled a skinner box now and its a dangerous game for certain people who have addictive personalities

1 Like

It’s funny because it’s true…

If you played in Delirium league it was an absolute spectacle. There was a build with the new Cluster Jewels which was out of this world in sheer everything, GGG made a mistake with their coding allowing self buffs to scale with Aura effect. There was a particular amulet called Solstice Vigil which extended buffs on you…

The amulet went from probably 1ex to something ridiculous like 20ex and was climing in price per hour, People were going nuts to buy it and maybe resell or use whatever. then GGG dropped the bomb they would nerf this pre league which they dont usually do, then there was this massive push from people to offload their amulets as the price started drastically falling again per hour

If you invested you potentially lost huge amounts of currency or potentially made enough to have enough money all league or even worse sell off your currency to pay your rent as you live in a 3rd world country and PoE pays your bills from RMT… or if you simply didnt play for a few days to a week you missed it completely.

Theres crap like this every single league and its draining, especially if you happen to get innocently caught up in it, then you curse yourself for not playing the economy

quite a bit different than simply killing some monsters farming some loot, I didnt realise I need to take lessons in finance to become rich killing monsters in a game

Yeah, I didn’t play much in Delirium, but yes, I was aware of the Voices aura/buff issue.

The kind of issue you describe is something that you get with a player-controlled economy (since bugs & unintended effects are inevitable), notwithstanding the fubar of the mid-league corrections. Someone discovers something, the news gets out & the economy is “unsettled” as it adjusts to the new demand.

That is a particular mindset that I don’t really get. Why does one need to “get rich” (in-game) playing a game? If people enjoy playing the economy compared to playing the game then fair enough.

What I meant is that players have a lot more to do, discover and grind towards than in LE. I as an example play only the first 2 weeks of every league, try to beat my old record amount of currency and then give it all away.

While it definitely is one of the most psychologically predatory games out there, it’s not the case with me.
What matters is how you use your time, not how much of it is spent.
I am by far one of the richest players every league start while playing completely solo and not unhealthy amounts.
Last league I had 3 mirrors by the end of the second week and I didn’t play the first days of the league.

Only with very few items / niches.

From my point of view this is pretty easy… LE != PoE. This is a question of taste and PoE is a good game but if I’ve to endure another boring season in PoE I know I need to keep breathing because I can be sure I could be to bored to keep on breathing when I play PoE again. PoE2 might change this up but I did everything I wanted in PoE and I have enough by a quatermile.