Void Knight - Warpath stutters / stops randomly while right-mouse remains pressed

Started noticing today, warpath stutters / stops randomly.
Clip

• Enough Mana (but irrelevant, as effective costs is 0 mana due to perks - Char - Build Planner
  • Right Mouse Button is pressed all the time.
  • Cannot be deterministically re-produced.
  • Occurs in monolith areas, as well as in post-monolith reward area, dungeons.
    Player.log (1.9 MB)

Any chance you can test your Mouse? Click/Double click etc - reason I say this is I have had a similar issue with mouse hardware where it would intermittently double click or re-click even when the button was depressed… I have had this happen on Logitech & Microsoft devices too… One I am sure was hardware related, another was the logitech keyboard/mouse app causing issues.

Sure, I will switch my mouse and test it again.
But I leveled the char to lv. 88 using nothing but Warpath as a main skill and so far it never noticeably acted this way.

Ok…

Looking through your log, you seem to have clear periods where everything is normal, but then you have specific errors/debug messages that could indicate problems… some of these repeat hundred if not thousands of times and that is usually not a good sign.

• there are Renderer errors which could be a messed up install or it could be another intermittent performance related issue - i.e. settings that are too high for the combination of the current game beta & your hardware…

• there are dictionary key issues - which usually come up when there is a problem with an item in the game - like you cannot pick it up or it has a bizzare item label. Can also happen with install problems

• There are lots of TextMesh problems - usually text/font geometry issues - again, this doesnt happen often and your log has hundreds of repeating issues of this kind… It may be install, or possibly something to do with the lootfilter.

• You also have Boxcollider errors - again usually something to do with in-game settings and the GPU.

• you have submesh rendering errors - this one is normally a sure sign of trying to run the game at settings that are too high and in certain maps that require more GPU procssing this can cause problems.

It may be that the game is processing or trying to handle these errors above and the increased load could be doing something and that spike in activity could be affecting the mouse input in some way or interrupting it… There may even be something else happening on your system at that moment that causes a minor freeze that affects the mouse…

Please can you delete the player.log (or rename it) while the game isnt running so that it can recreate a new one and then play a while until you notice the same issue with Warpath… Then make a copy of the player.log - it may be smaller and separate other possible issues from this specific mouse one.

In light of all the graphical messages - please include your le_graphicsmanager.ini file and the output of a dxdiag report - it may be that you are also trying to run the game at settings that are too high…

edit: forgot to add - please verify the game files via Steam to make sure your install is ok.

Sure, here you go.
Steam file verification: no Errors.
The files:
le_graphicsmanager.ini (496 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (114.9 KB)

I have faith in my hardware, but lower the settings in the meantime to see if the issue persists.

Damn… if only it was a corrupted install… wouldve been the simple solution considering the wide range of debug messages in the log. :cry:

Your settings - its not so much that your hardware wouldnt normally be able to handle things - its the fact that LE is generally unoptimised and doesnt behave well at higher settings - the game is like driving a family sedan, its ok to the shops and is reliable, but put it on the autobahn at 200km/h and things break…

With the 60fps cap at 1080p your 3060 should be perfectly fine… I just dont trust settings higher than High with LE right now - every time someone is having hassles that could be gpu related, they are invariably using VeryHigh or Ultra settings… If you are are willing, I’d definitely toggle some settings (for special features) and lower the qaulity to see what happens.

Dxdiag looks generally fine with a quick look… the diagnostics is showing that Last Epoch is Hanging very often… This could be the freezing that occurs at higher settings… Could also be any other apps that you are running at the same time as you test LE… Try disabling or not running anything else while trying LE to see if it makes a difference… Doesnt matter how irrelevant it may seem, just dont use it… This includes things like Steam Overlays - just disable it - LE doesnt use it anyway.

Thank you for all the valuable input, I’ve adjusted my settings.
In my last hour or so of playtime I didn’t get the issue again, with either of my mice.
I’ll give it some more time and then mark this topic it as solved.

Ok…

If you are willing - just take a quick glance at your player.log and see if you get any repeating errors like the ones I mentioned above - if they are reduced (its unlikely they will all go - beta game) then that could indicate an improvement…

Also check your diags to see if LE is still hanging for additional confirmation - again, its possible it may once in a while, but it should be less if stability is improving…

0.9 is the first patch that the devs have specifically included performance improvements on so it will be very interesting to see how it affects your setup and if you see improved stability - maybe even returning the settings back to higher when the patch drops as a test…

Feedback would be very useful as you now have a baseline to work from…

They add performance improvements every patch.

Yes, but they have always been behind the scenes improvements on a much smaller scale - the types you only see on the patch notes… They have never announced it as a specific heading / topic on the dev blogs - at least not in the 2 years I have been around…

While, yes, they don’t generally spend much time talking about performance, I would refer you to the following from the 0.8.5 patch notes:

And 0.8.4:

And 0.8.3:

0.8.2:

Then there’s similar, though smaller, sections in the patch notes for 0.8.1, 0.8.0, 0.7.10, 0.7.9, 0.7.8, 0.7.7, 0.7.6, 0.7.5 (though that was just two lines), 0.7.4, 0.7.3 & I feel like I should probably stop here but it’s bizarrely more-ish, I think I might have a problem (please send help)… But going back every patch for 3 years there’s been a section in the patch notes related to performance improvements, even if it’s only a few lines.

Edit: 0.7.0 didn’t have a section on performance, but 0.6.1 did.

Dude, you are not normally this obtuse so I am gonna chalk it up to you just being unusually just you today…

I SAID that they only have performance things in Patch notes (never disputed that) - but the Dev Blogs never specifically detailed any dedicated efforts around performance… maybe a sentence or two, but nothing like the recent ones for 0.9 where they provide detailed information on what they are actually doing and made formal commitments to resolving a wide range of performance related issues.

Virtually refilling your cup of tea and providing you a fresh plate of biscuits… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Me? Obtuse? Nevah!

clears throat awkwardly

Hi, I checked my player.log again, the issues there seems to persist, but the gameplay experience still got a lot better. The main problem vanished and some weird collisions with bosses stopped to a large degree. Player.log (2.6 MB)
I’ll check again after the next update, but overall that seems like a separate issue I’m having here.

Ok… At this stage, if you are noticing an improvement then that a good step in the right direction.

I still see some of the previous errors but there are definitely less of others that could explain your experiences… I have a feeling that there are various causes - guessing one might be filter related, another possibly something odd with an item and still others may be performance related ones or something else unique to your setup… It also looks like the occurances depend on the map you are on so that add another level of complexity in tracing the issues…

When you are checking, please be sure to remove the player.log before you play so that you start a “fresh” log for comparison purposes… A smaller log may also make it easier to link a debug message with a problem you have - e.g. whenever x happens in game, y is logged…

0.9 - its still going to be a while, but yes, it would be interesting to see what happens after it goes public…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.