Trade development update - Introducing merchants guild and circle of fortune factions

:purple_heart:

(I would have just liked your post but I ran out of likes for today :joy:)

1 Like

WOW, that’s super innovative and really interesting. Really pushing the bar!

I love the fact that it allows folks to play alongside each others. It also does exactly what I’ve always wanted, maintain different loot tables to satisfy both parties to the debate, in a really clever, rewarding way.

Thanks for the answer, and I understand you might have no specific info yet , but just to clarify , would we be able to target a specific unique? What about a unique that drops only from a boss?
Because in your initial post it says “Use prophecies to hunt specific item types” , would we be able to hunt specific items?

Instead of pricing tool there can be an option while browsing Bazaar to generate search based on selected item stats.
Underpricing items to manipulate market is only possible, if the seller can put item for sale and ignore trade requests (like in POE). If item CAN be bought without confirmation from the seller, it WILL be bought very fast (as a cheapest item on the market), and he will only lose potential gold and that item.
Moreover, there is no point in manipulating item price. Assume you did, and now can buy bunch of squirrel helmets for cheap. Ok, whats next? You cannot resell them. Then also make so that items bought from Bazaar cannot be gifted, to prevent RMT.
This system is ingenious in so many ways

1 Like

I can’t really share specifics on this sorry. Personally, when I read that, I’m thinking that I’m generally using Prophecies as enhanced target farming to significantly sway RNG in my favor but not necessarily guaranteeing specific drops. I can see some combinations or situations where you could guarantee a drop.

As another example of a maybe possibly “what if” option, “The next monolith timeline boss kill, will not drop the two most common options available.” So if it has 4 options and you put yourself in a corruption range that means you can’t get option 4, it guarantees option 3. This sort of thing I could see happening.

Super not set in stone yet and I just made that example up as I was typing this post.

Like a “find similar items” option, I like that. I’m not sure if things like that will be in version 1 but I can see that as a follow-up feature. Sounds cool.

A(Merchants’ Guild): sale garbage equipment 10000W Good.

B (Good Robot): buy one.

A → get 10000W Good, but lose some money. (RMT)

can we at least get Resonance’s to be obtainable on the 0.9 release?

In Torchlight Infinite items listed on the Trade House are anonymous but there is still rampant RMT, im assuming they do exactly this when you contact the RMT site, they organise to put some specific item worth nothing for ludicrous amounts on the trade house so they buy it off you for the ingame currency and you pay them

Regardless if trade is added RMT is going to start happening

Not only that there is scammers in Torchlight who instead of selling ‘99 for 1’ they sell ‘1 for 99’ hoping you misclick and scam yourself

Generally liking this design so far. I enjoy these kind of trade-off decisions, and giving a boost to non-traders as the opportunity cost to pro-traders feels good, and both options have a place. If I want to try a niche build or a potentially faster start, I can go MG. If I want to chase the higher ceiling or grind deeper into end game, I can go CoF.

With these two options somewhere on the spectrum between “fully open trade” and “ssf for everyone,” I’d like to think that there are indeed other cool ideas that sit far enough away from them to be interesting without treading to close to either extreme. I personally quite like the complexity introduced here, and I think I want more, as long as it doesn’t turn into MMO style class/gear swapping meta. Also, more options means less chance of Red vs. Blue elitism. Probably gonna need me some faction t-shirts anyway, though…

The presence of SSF+MG as a selectable option I think would appear clunky and unfinished. Despite the potential for silliness, I’d vote for that not sticking around for 1.0.

Resonance is an interesting solution. I suspect that will get significant rebalance some time after 1.0 lands and we see how frequent party players are really obtaining or making use of it. I think I’m likely among those referred to by “you can’t please everyone,” because my scenario is often that my friends and I are not online at the same time, but we’d still like to be able to hunt for each other’s gear and pass it guild-stash style. Oh well. I’m sure I’ll be able to live vicariously through Empy and team gloriously demolishing trade-league.

This is a super cool way to address Trade vs Non-Trade choices.

• One question (I’m sorry if answered before): Is “base” drop rates reduced for BOTH factions and is the expectation that when at Max Faction level the game will feel >= to current solo drop rates?

Really the premise of this question: Is the initial hurdle to find build defining uniques for example harder when first starting a cycle, then much later in the cycle when your faction level is increased. There could be argument to be made that you need a “cycle starter” character that farms fast with no uniques to farm for uniques you need for your second build.

EDIT: IGNORE devs, i saw in the FAQ. Thanks for the work!

Please dont be shy regarding the amount of ladders!

The more the better, as it would allow more space for different kind of competitors. Make a Solo rank, Party rank, Solo CoF, Party MG, Cycle Solo rank, Cycle Party rank, Off-Cycle Solo, Off-Cycle Party, Off-Cycle Solo CoF, etc, etc, ad infinitum. Same with class and mastery specific rankings. Competition is one of the best driving motors who keep people invested into the game for long. The other important motivations are collection and acchievements.

This is the motivational trinity (IMO): Competition/Collection/Achievements

To clarify, I want free full open trade. The idea of there being a penalty on loot with that was completely made up by the people against open trade. It was never real and nobody asked for it. You can’t use delusion as an argument against something.

1 Like

This is an interesting and creative compromise

1 Like

Replying to myself for the answer found on Discord in case anyone else is wondering:

I think we are going with them being optional but this could change. Some people might want the extra added challenge of “no faction” or something.

Source: Discord

I will also be #TeamMG more of a D2 feel for me

Can we also get something like we have Deathless but shows you never switched your faction?

1 Like

I just wanted to say Great Work EHG! You continue to impress me with your ability to stay true to your objective while simultaneously making great pivots! I love the solution you came up with.

There are a few things here that might come to haunt the game in the future and I’m sure EHG is doing it on purpose to force people into what they wanted originally, that is, not having trade.

EHG is trying to give the impression that the game right now has a very generous drop system but in my experience that is not the case. It takes several monoliths for me to see a drop, even if I’m merely retricting the filter to 2 affixes out of the possible 4, and a specific item base, it will take me at least 5 runs before even 1 item drops that may or may not be worth crafting. Even assuming there is trading, if this is lowered then trade will have nothing to sell because no one is droping anything.

Further, the whole rank system is yet another artificial form to deny access to the trade. If it was simply a case of not allowing easy swap between then removing that option entirely would be a simple solution and one that would be easily accepted by most players, they just pick where they want to play and that’s that.

Even more funny is how monsters are being buffed to combat the “increase” in player power and yet CoF will mostly remain the same with some small buffs that are only relevant very late into the game (and the monster buffs are relevant for the entirety of the game) and as for the MG players, well pretty much the same is true, except with nerfed drop rates it may even be harder to get gear.

Let me clear with this EHG. Your players who want trade, they want it because they do not consider the game easy. They want it because they do not consider the current state of the game to allow them to gear up in a satisfactory way and therefore need trade as a solution to the bad drop rates that already exists (coupled with the low odds of actually crafting items to an acceptable level).

You doing this the way you are doing it is nothing but a veiled way to tell us to play without trade and even then it will be harder because the monsters are going to be buffed. So please, reconsider once again what you are doing or player interest in the game is going to disapear once more and they are just going to go back to whatever they were playing before.

1 Like

No, they will not be available in 0.9.0