Totem Shaman Build...Now more Shamantastic!

Blizzard has the Cold and Spell tags, but not the DoT tag so it DOES get the benefit of adaptive spell damage. I changed to a skeletal scepter to test. It was 5310 tooltip DPS before and then added a 54 adaptive spell damage scepter it jumped to 9619. So yes, it does scale from that as the skill itself has an up to +20 on the icicles node to spell damage.

You would be correct in that blizzard is not a hit.

Since it has the spell tag, it’ll benefit from minion adaptive spell damage, whether it has the DoT tag or not.

In the past there have been questions on whether it benefits from damage over time. It does not and does not hit. I always state that.

I’ve not tested that & I’m not disagreeing with you, I’m just saying that just because a thing has the DoT tag does not mean it won’t benefit from flat spell damage. Not all DoTs are ailments & not all ailments are DoTs.

yea, I agree with you on that as well. My point was to sigma’s statement of jumping from DoT to damaging ailments, which this not the case.

1 Like

wait do you mean a skill on a totem tree benefits from +adaptive spell dmg? Not MINION/TOTEM spell damage? After all it is a totem skill not casted by a player.
For example, in other cases LE specifically states that a passive gives ‘minion / totem’ adaptive spell damage (like Elder Branch in Primalist passives or Avatar of Thunder in Shaman passives).

Yes, if the skill has the tags for it. Blizzard in this case DOES. It also scales from minion and totem damage both. This is specific to Blizzard.

Minion adaptive spell damage, yes.

But he means Blizzard is buffed by NON-minion/totem adaptive spell damage. From the Skeletal Scepter implicit. If that is the case that is really counterintuitive and weird to me.

Yes, it is buffed by it. It has the cold and spell tags both and has the scale tags with it. Blizzard has a base of 5 cold damage which is scalable with the adaptive in this case.

Ok but it is still a skill casted by the totem. Not by the player. And adaptive spell damage on that sceptre is for player skills only. Could it be a visual DPS bug?

The skill is cast from the totem. The storm totem benefits from adaptive spell, since it has both the minion and spell tags. It is the only totem of the three skills that has that. Its due to the SPELL tag on the totem that allows it to use the scepter to scale. It says so on the tooltip.

Maybe I’m blind but on Storm totem the SPELL tag is under the MINION section. Please see the screenshot - https://i.imgur.com/s5URUn5.jpg
Thorn totems got exactly same tag under minion section. So it is for MINION spell dmg. Not generic spell damage

Again, you are mixing the two. The spell tag allows the Blizzard to scale due to the cold and spell on the skill which the totem has the spell tag. Now if the mistake is that the blizzard needs to have the minion tag, then that is where your confusion lies. With the way it was explained to me long time ago that this is “supposedly” the way its to work as there are no other methods to scale minion spell damage outside the helm and body armor slots for totems.

You know I just tested Blizzard DPS tooltip with these two white weapons - https://imgur.com/a/6qoOT56 and with 58 adaptive spell dmg weapon the Blizzard damage is indeed higher. Although it is still looking out of logic to me. But know I need to revise my totem shaman build :smiley:

Your welcome. I am currently playing a totem shaman, not this build, my own creating that has interesting interactions. It has garbage gear stat wise but has at least one T6 in most important places.

1 Like

Not only adaptive spell damage but also % incr. spell damage works too and buffs Blizzard damage.

Yes, with the generic spell tag any spell tag will boost the blizzard. My Current Scepter

what is the DPS tooltip of your Blizzard? Very nice wand!

This sounds like a bug to me. Mike has previously explained that the tags on Blizzard scale with minion stats (or at least they are supposed to).

https://imgur.com/Y2jaSnf

Source: Discord Link