Tips for Crafting

Updated 10/23/2020 (patch 0.7.10C)

I have noticed that a lot of people have been complaining about the craft, because they have difficulty getting good items. I didn’t particularly have a lot of problems with the system, so I’ll give you some tips that I use to increase my chances of success. I will cover the craft of items for leveling and items for the late game.

Leveling:

First, while you’re leveling, you don’t want to spend a lot of shards on items that will be replaced. Having items with T3 affixes, merging with T2 and T4 is more than enough to level your character up close to the late game.

After testing crafts using stability with up to 78%, 75%, 70%, 68% and 60%, I came to the conclusion that 78% generates more stable results.

Craft: Use Glyph of Stability while the chance of success is greater than or equal to 78%, after that use The Guardian’s Glyph. Do not use to craft the same affix repeatedly. For example, don’t increase your Spell damage up to tier 3 and then write another affix, because the higher the tier, the less chance of success, and you need to optimize the use of Glyph of Stability. Then you must create a T1 affix, then go to the second, third and fourth. That done you will always focus on the lowest Tier. The exception is when you really need one affix and not so much another; in that case you can focus on a specific one.

I’ll give an example of Craft that I made on a common item to demonstrate the system:

Note: It is not worth trying to improve your items through common bases. During leveling you can find a common higher level weapon, or a common item that fits your character better. You can craft this common item, but if it doesn’t look as good and you find another one later, don’t waste time to craft it. Run to the late game and look for magic items.

Using Glyph of Stability
Poison res T1 : 100%
Mana T1: 96%
Ele. Dmg T1: 93%
Minion Hp T1: 90%
Poison res T2 : 86%
Mana T2: 78%
The chance was less than 75, so I switched to guardian.

Using Glyph of the guardian
Ele. Dmg T2: 99%
Minion Hp T2: 94%
Poison res T3 : 84%
Mana T3: 79%
Ele. Dmg T3: 74%
Minion Hp T3: 69%

At that point I already had item T3 in all affixes. The chance to succeed using this method was: 1 (0.96) (0.93) (0.9) (0.86) (078) (0.99) (0.94) (0.84) (0.79) (0.74) (0.69) = 17%.

Note that the instability caused when using Glyph of Stability is not fixed, so these values ​​may vary slightly, but the end result should be close to that. Maybe somewhere between 15 and 20%.

Another variable recently implemented is that you can have critical increases, that is, when you succeed in craft, one of the affixes will gain a tier at no cost. This increases the chances of being able to craft the item - I would speculate that it would rise to 20 ~ 25% in the case of all affixes in T3, but I will not address this situation, so I will keep the “worst case”.

Is it a small chance? Yes! It was very lucky to get it in the first one - actually, it was more than that, because I kept crafting this item:

Ele. Dmg T4: 59%
Minion Hp T4: 54%
Mana T4: 49%
Poison res T4 : 44%
Poison res T5 : 34%
29% – fractured

That is, for this item T4 / T4 / T4 / T5 the chance was: 0.4% success … Very lucky o.O. But we are interested in T3 / T3 / T3 / T3 (17%).

If we had crafted five bases instead of one, what would be the chance of failing all of them? (0.83) ^ 5 = 39%.

So with 5 attempts we have approximately a 60% chance of getting our item for leveling. If there were 10, that chance of success will be approximately 85%. (if we take into account critical increases, most likely you would have your item)

If you have gold accumulated from other characters it is easy, you can buy the bases in the NPC of gambling and craftar from the ones that serve. You can also buy Rune of Shattering at Npcs to keep your shards. But if you started the game now, then getting 10 bases and enough shards to craft an item for leveling is tricky - if that’s the case I don’t recommend that you force yourself to get a T3 item.

Realize that to leave the item all T2 the chance is approximately 50% (not counting critical increases). Most likely in the first 3 attempts at crafting you will succeed - and what comes beyond that is profit. This should be easy to do. But what if you drop a magic item with T3 mana and 0 instability, for example?

Note that to leave this item every T3 would cost:

(Stability)
Health T1: 100%
Armour T1: 96%
Vitality T1: 88%
Health: T2: 78%

(Guardian)
Armour T2: 100%
Vitality T2: 98%
Health T3: 88%
Armou T3: 83%
Vitality T3: 78%

Approximately 37% chance of succeeding (again, not counting critical increases). So focus your effort on crafting magic items, they are your main goal. Rare items will usually come with some affix you don’t want and with high instability - you can try to get rid of the unwanted affix with the rune of removal, but even if you do, it will increase the instability. There will be “rare” cases where you will craft items that are already “rare”. :]

Tip: In the case of the item mentioned above, with Mana T3, I could have used the first craft in Mana to make it T4, since the first attempt always guarantees a 100% chance of getting it if the item has no instability (Magic itens with one T3 affix or less don’t have). This would decrease my chance of leaving the other affixes T3, but would guarantee me a T4. If it was a Wand with spell damage or critical chance T3, maybe I wanted to prioritize leaving T4.

After talking to other players (Madriax, Helot-Commander and Tank) I believe that the condition for the base to have instability 0 is that no affix is ​​greater than 3 and that the sum of affixes is not greater than 5. In this case the best bases for crafting, disregarding possible exalted bases (T6, T7), would be (T3 | T2 | T0 | T0) and (T3 | T1 | T1 | T0). Rare bases can still be better, however they usually won’t do what you want. Check the tip at the end.

Craft Late game: Use Glyph of Stability while the chance of success is greater than or equal to 78%, after that start using Guardian. Use bases that already have at least 1 affix you want, preferably T3. if your item has no instability, spend your first attempt on the highest existing affix that is no longer maximized. For example, if you dropped a Ring with Set Res T3 and intelligence T1, spend your first attempt to make Set Res T4, then add the other 2 affixes you want t1. As stated earlier, Do not use to craft the same affix repeatedly, unless he remains the smallest.

This will be sufficient to guarantee items T5 / T4 / T4 / T4 or T5 / T5 / T3 / T3 with certain regularity. Getting an entire T5 item will still be very difficult and will depend a lot on the affixes that have already come in the item.

I will use an “Ok” base vs a “Good” base to demonstrate the craft “formula” that I presented here. Ok base: A Relic with T3 Necro dmg. Good base: A wand with T3 spell damage and T2 shock chance.
Remembering that Stability adds 2 to 5 instability to each success, so we will vary between 3 and 4 to have an average.
To know the chance of success with Stability:X = 100 - 5 * (Atual_Affix_Tier) - instabilty.
To know the chance of success with Guardian: X + 25. *(Limited by 100%).

Obs: I will not consider when there is a critical improvement in the craft, so for all intents and purposes, the numbers here are approximated downwards. Depending on when the critical improvement happens, your chances of getting a good item can go up significantly. The goal here is to evaluate the crafting methods only through the player’s choices to try to determine what would be the best form of crafting.

(Stability) | accumulated chance
Necro Dmg T3->T4: 100% (add 3 instability) | 100%
Health T0->T1: 97% (add 4 instability) | 97%
Vitality T0->T1: 93% (add 3 instability) | 90%
Armour T0->T1: 90% (add 4 instability) | 81%
Health T1->T2: 81% (add 3 instability) | 65%
Vitality T1->T2: 78% (add 4 instability) | 51%
The next chance would drop to 74, so we switched to guardian.

(Guardian)
Armour T1->T2: 99% (add 5 instability) | 50%
Health T2->T3: 89% (add 5 instability) | 45%
Vitality T2->T3: 84% (add 5 instability) | 38%
Armour T2->T3: 79% (add 5 instability) | 30%
Health T3->T4: 69% (add 5 instability) | 20%
Vitality T3->T4: 64% (add 5 instability) | 13%
Armour T3->T4: 59% (add 5 instability) | 7.8% (10 attempts = 55%) - T4 Item
Necro dmg T4->T5: 49% (add 5 instability) | 3.8% (10 attempts = 32%)
Health T4->T5: 44% (add 5 instability) | 1.7% (10 attempts = 16%)
Vitality T4->T5: 39% (add 5 instability) | 0.65% (10 attempts = 6%)
Armour T4->T5: 34% (add 5 instability) | 0.22% (10 attempts = 2.2%) - T5 Item

As you can see, on an “OK” basis allows us to create an OK item, which we can use to “farm” other items. Once you have a completely T4 item, I don’t recommend that you spend more time picking up Ok bases.

A wand with T3 spell damage and T2 shock chance.

(Stability) | accumulated chance
spell dmg T3->T4: 100% (add 3 instability) | 100%
mana T0->T1: 97% (add 4 instability) | 97%
spell crit T0->T1: 93% (add 3 instability) | 90%
mana T1->T2: 85% (add 4 instability) | 77%
spell crit T1->T2: 81% (add 3 instability) | 62%
The next chance would drop to 73, so we switched to guardian.

(Guardian)
shock T2->T3: 98% (add 5 instability) | 61%
mana T2->T3: 93% (add 5 instability) | 57%
spell crit T2->T3: 88% (add 5 instability) | 50%
shock T3->T4: 78% (add 5 instability) | 39%
mana T3->T4: 73% (add 5 instability) | 28%
spell crit T3->T4: 68% (add 5 instability) | 19% (10 attempts = 88%) - T4 item
spell dmg T4->T5: 58% (add 5 instability) | 11% (10 attempts = 69%)
mana T4->T5: 53% (add 5 instability) | 6% (10 attempts = 46%)
spell crit T4->T5: 48% (add 5 instability) | 3% (10 attempts = 26%)
shock T4->T5: 43% (add 5 instability) | 1.2% (10 attempts = 11.3%) T5

As you can see, a good base allows us to reach a T5 / T4 / T4 / T4 item with some regularity, and with luck T5 / T5 / T4 / T4. Better than that, they are still very rare, you would need to drop a really good base, a rare base with the affixes you want, with at least reasonable Tiers and not too high instability.

Don’t let the numbers discourage you. I used an average just to determine a method of crafting. These numbers will be higher if you are lucky with critical success or getting less instability when using stabilty.

And here’s the final tip: Once finding rare items with the affixes you want is very difficult, try to get bases for other characters. For example, Maybe a Wand with T3 Spell Crit, T5 Mana, T1 Shock Chance is not something you want for your Void K … But save it for a possible wizard. Use the filter to show items with higher level bases, so check the rare ones, if you have something that seems to be synergistic, get it. This will maximize your chance of finding a useful rare item.

Final considerations: Use and abuse the item filter to highlight the bases you want and also the affixes you want, in order to get loots suitable for using Shattering. Whenever you finish a map try to buy Shattering at the NPC, to keep your stock up to date. Take a chance to buy some more difficult bases to drop in the gambling NPC, something interesting might come. Beware of bad bases on items, for example, Unred Scroll gives a base of 2 to 6% critical damage - each point can make a big difference in your critical chance, so you want 6%.

I hope it’s clear. In case something got confused, I can try to explain it better. If anyone has any more information on how to get better results in craft, please share :).

11 Likes

GREAT WORK ! :astonished:

(Edit: + the new badge are cool !)

2 Likes

This is only true if the item has zero instability.
Magic Items with T3 do not have instability.
Magic Items with T4 do have instability
Rare Items almost always have instability, increasing with the highest tier affix.

Failure Chance is determined by:
A) The current Affix Tier
B) The Total Instability.

Each Tier on the affix increase Failure Chance by 5%
Each point of Instability increases failure chance by 1%.

2 Likes

I really didn’t know that it didn’t work in case the item had instability. Magic items with one t3 and one t1 affix can have 0 instability (I think it is the most you can achieve without instability.) - thanks for the alert, I will modify this part.

1 Like

In my small sample size (IE. my stash) I have 2 T3/T2 Magic w/ 0 Instability.
Slight correction as well.
Rare items can have zero instability. I have 3 T3/T1/T1 rares, all 0 instability.

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Awesome compilation.

2 Likes

Good :D. I don’t know exactly the limit for this, but I think the important thing is to know that if there is no instability in the item, the first craft has a 100% chance. Making the transition from T3-> T4 with ease is something very strong.

I double checked the crafting chance, and it was 100% for rares with 0 instability.

The second lowest instability Rare I have is a T3/T2/1, with 2. It has the expected failure rates, 2% for instability, 5% per affix tier.

2 Likes

crafting from common items is more risky than crafting from a good magic base. I almost always try to find a good magic item with one or preferably two t3+ affixes I need and then to craft.

1 Like

From my own research, I’m pretty sure that the instability on items that have not been crafted yet goes like this …

You get up to the first 5 affix points “free”, with no stability cost.

1/0/0/0
5/0/0/0
3/0/0/0
1/1/1/1
4/1/0/0 etc will all have the same zero instability.

If the items drops with more than a total of 5 affix points, there will be 2 instability per affix point, regardless of how many different affixes are on the item.

Each of these additional affix points above 5 on found/gambled gear is equivalent to a successful craft with a Glyph of Stability and it’s maximum 60% reduction = 2 instability.

3/1/1/1 = 2 instability
6/0/0/0 = 2 instability
7//7/0/0 = 18 instability
7/6/4/2 = 28 instability … before crafting

It isn’t very clear, but every successful craft will add 5 instability.

The main reason for using Glyph of Stability at the start is that when a craft is successful, instead of getting 5 instability added, you might only get 2, 3 or 4 (max 60% reduction of 5 = 2)

Glyph of the Guardian changes the chance of success and the odds of fracturing in the players’ favour, but will always add 5 instability.

Rune of Refinement and Rune of Removal both add 2 instability. Both of these can be used with Glyph of the Guardian to reduce the chance of fracture or Glyph of Stability for a chance to reduce the instability added from 2 to 1.

2 Likes

Very clear … The information about the instability makes a lot of sense and matches what Hellot said. In that sense, I believe that the best basis for crafting would be an item with a T4 and T1 affix, would you agree ?. (Excluding the exceptional T6 / T7 cases that can generate very good things or not). I would like to add this information in the text so that people who don’t read all the comments get to know it too. Can I put it?

1 Like

Yes, mate - if it helps by having it in the main post, go ahead.

Feel free to re-work it all if you like to make it fit in with your post. :+1:

2 Likes

But can you confirm that you have a T4 item with instability 0? I checked some of my items and bought some, and all with T4 have instability 2, and they only have this single affix. So, if you have any items with T4 or T5 with instability 0, this can be random. Or, what I think is most likely, it is valid if the sum of the tiers is not greater than 5 and if no tier is greater than 3. In this case 3/2 would be valid, but 4/1 would not.

1 Like

You might want to write a disclaimer on top of your post :). It’s a pretty bad idea and a waste of ressources to craft on white items because they’ll sracture before you are close to 4 T5. As stated above… best item base to work with are items with the pre or affixes you need on it because these will always (afaik) the least ammount stability used like @Madriax explained.

1 Like

That’s interesting … because I just went through a load of stuff in my stash and found a similar thing. I think these items are bugged, though and I will raise a bug report to get devs feedback.

4/0/0/0 = 2 instability (bug)
4/1/0/0 = 2 instability (bug)
4/2/0/0 = 2 instability (correct)
5/0/0/0 = 4 instability (bug)
5/1/0/0 = 4 instability (bug, should be 2)
5/2/0/0 = 4 instability (correct)

1 Like

I agree when it comes to craft for the late game, when you already have a good item, but want an excellent one, so it really doesn’t make sense to craft common items. However, if you are in the early game and want to craft for leveling it is totally ok, and if you are entering the late game and are still looking for a good item, you can get it by crafting a common item. Note that what matters in the base are not just affixes - Unred Scroll as I gave in the example, if you have good affixes but only 2% base crit you will not want it, however a common 6% base Unred Scroll is worth crafting if you no longer have any that is at least reasonable / good. When I talk about craft in the late game and during the process I show that you should look for magical items to craft (but I think it is important to keep the option of common item for specific cases).

1 Like

This is one reason why I think LE crafting is logicly flawed. We descrease the stability of an item by adding tiers to the affixes and suffixes. Then again we can find items with so little instability it goes against everything we experience while crafting. I only see two reasons for this:

1. It’s a game mechanic an noone cares.
  2. Our toons are the worst crafters in the game and should ask a dog to craft their items because it’s most likely saver.

This drives me mad ^^ but then again sooner or later I might find my “I don’t give a S…” Zen place.

@Delayisreal I don’t care about leveling items. I found a level 4 Spear with 53 dmg for example. I’ll NEVER EVER get rid of this thing because you oneshot most mobs untill lvl 15 with it ^^… outside of bosses or champions with certain mods. I change my items while leveling a lot and keep the good stuff for löater twinks and I never had the need to waste crafting mats for early game toons. Crafting get’s intresting when you get into the ice maps and have 0 cold resi for whatever reason.
Outside of this I never felt the urge to craft anything just to be 10-120 minutes faster because I have enough time.

2 Likes

Maybe they made some changes to the system. I will wait until I have something more precise about it.

1 Like

I’ve raised a bug report as it is only those 4 combinations that do not work with the rules.

1 Like

I blame Torchlight for instability mechanics …

It makes sense to do it this way.

The player is ‘rewarded’ for finding the right affixes/tiers on an item bu having reduced instability and penalised if they want to create the perfect item from scratch.

A found/gambled item with some good base tiers has a better chance of becoming 5/5/5/5 than if you started with a 0/0/0/0.

It keeps the item hunt alive.

2 Likes