This game will fail if they don't change the GB/CA meta

Yeah low life lich at 5 health would have 99% protections lol. Be fun for 1 run

Im not going into this anymore but designing ANY form of incoming hit damage around the fact that ‘XX’ Character SHOULD have 50% damage reduction already ontop of further resists etc is just a bad way to build your base game because EVERY single piece of damage from anything needs to be balanced around this ‘mandatory 50%’ reduction.

Its actually really confusing how people actually think this is a good idea.

just remember the longer the devs hold off on removing this, the more work they have to do when rebalancing all the monster damage later.

Also…Glancing Blow doesn’t even effect DoTs which should be a huge indicator its not required. Make Resists/Armor more impactful and remove Glancing Blows…

Also Glancing Blow is a keystone from PoE which…gives more block chance but when you block, you…take 50% less damage. so I hardly think this is a ‘new concept’ since I know Sarno hangs around GGG official forums for YEARS - Glancing Blows - Path of Exile Wiki - GB was added to PoE in June 2019

Why would balancing be harder the longer they wait? You take out a 50% DR in game on hits you make mobs hits do 50% less damage. Simple.

:slight_smile:
Sorry, I wrote about possible change for one particular problem - one attribute’s effectiveness lowering by another. But everything should have some limits of course, like every other attribute, and especially because we need to prevent “equality” effect, when one character gets 99(9)% reduction with 100 health and other - with 10. Obviously it would be “unfair” :slight_smile:

• Current reduction from protections is like:
    D.Red. = 1 - Max.HP. / (Max.HP. + Protection).

• If we just replace Max.HP. with Curr.HP. than we get immortality effect with Curr.HP. ~ 0:
    D.Red. = 1 - Curr.HP. / (Curr.HP. + Protection).

• but if you add some threshold and 95% D.Red. cap, for example …
    D.Red. = 0.95 * (1 - (20 + Curr.HP.) / (20 + Curr.HP. + 1.2 * Protection)).

… than we get something like this…

And you can see that there’s no any immortality effect, at least not more then we already have.

P.S. Sentinel PvP with 3000 prots and 20 HP on hit… is terrible, I know. But isn’t this an eternal problem?
P.P.S. And yes, I don’t think caps is something bad :blush:

Well, I’m also suggesting to change ward mechanics and its gain from passives and nodes :blush: .
But yeah, with protections and ward combined it could be fun anyway :crazy_face: .

Hmm, but if you’re able to play with all your equipment built just around damage, isn’t this a winning path? Okay, you probable should be a microcontrol god, and the game should NOT face you with any unavoidable damage or always give you some savings (which is a micro, again), but anyway, it becomes not the best meta, in my opinion of course (and yeah, I’m very casual :slightly_frowning_face: ).

Yes, you wrote that protections are enough, I remember. But honestly, I really believe that players should be able to choose their playstyle, including type of defense. So that’s why I suggest to make all those mechanics more compatible, with some specific roles, but not extreme like current “critical avoidance”.

I’ll summarize it, if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

• Weaken ward but make it compatible with protections.
  • Unite dodge and glancing blows. Make both numbers less. (more direct damage defense).
  • Replace critical avoidance with Resilience. (DoT and Critical defense).
  • Grant HP regeneration based on HP maximum. (increasing HP role as defense layer).
  • Make D.Reduction from protections capped but give additional mechanics (low life defense).

Again: I don’t like obligatory attributes also. But I believe that you HAVE to get some defense, yet you also should be given a choice: which way and how much.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.