The Fun builds keep getting worst

Players could not enter towns at all and they didn’t notice? Just saying.

I mean, what is the difference in nerfing the couple overperforming builds vs buffing every other build AND all the monsters? Other than one of those being a lot more work to implement?

What I do agree with though, is that I’d prefer the OP builds to be nerfed by reducing their numbers not by messing with their QoL.

Taking the EQ werebear as an example: nerfing earthquake damage would have just made the skill unusable by any build and adding a cooldown to the trigger made this particular build mostly unplayable because in this type of game having significant downtime on your main skill is less than ideal.
Was it not possible to add something like “Earthquake used this way deals 50% less damage.” to Bhuldar’s instead?

1 Like

Not every bug is obvious in the dev environment. Just saying.

I’m a random pleb who is getting old who always was realistic and said “I’m medium skilled and going for the haredest content is work so I stay mostly away from it.”. Even I as somone who isn’t teh sharpest tool in the shed has 0 problems playing LE no matter what Class I play.

LE is far faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from being a hard game until you hit corroption levels and eneys outscale you a lot. Even then the game is not hard because you need skill or you have to watch for a lot of mechanics, it eimply get’s unfair by numbers.

It is and noone is forced to participate BZT everyone can so everyone should be on the same playing field. Leaderboards in hack and slash games are trash tier no matter how you look at it. For a Leaderboard everyone should play the same content with the same spawns and the same enemies the same shrines and so on and so forth. At the end the fastest person should be on top. If I look at D3 and grifts I want to puke because you run in and if htere are “bad” enemys/level you go out and close the rift. same goes for pylons… shitty pylons and out you go.

There is no problem with balancing a game because it’s an easy thing at the end of the day. EHG most like has completeley accurate numbers for every skill interaction or item interaction and is able to nerf the numbers of said skills and interactions to a baseline they see fit. This will never be 100% accurate but having builds that are 30% stronger in every regard if you compare it to other builds is just plain stupid.

You’ve read the wrong rules mate. maybe you should read the ruleset of the developers and not the rules an entitled instant gratification brat made up? What you describe is powercreep and not balancing because everyone will scream for buffs over and over again and we are back in D3 and look how much fun D3 is ^^.

If you have 2 OP builds and 98 UP builds and 328 monsters you could nerf two builds or rework every stat, item and mechanic on 426 entities in the game. What do you think is A less work B better to to do to balance stuff?

1 Like

How right you are. Given servers have just gone haywire again, and no one can move into any new map.

Given you’re a manager of devs, I’d have thought you’d have known how this works.

I have no idea how it works when you make a new global release that is unusable. Has never happened to me or anyone I know. We test our stuff. We wouldn’t get away with this; many of our customers are banks. Heads would roll.

To be fair, bank software has to pass Six Sigma, online games in Beta do not.

3 Likes

Is this question aimed at me? The point I was trying to make was that by nerfing the few best builds you arrive at the same state of balance as if you had buffed everything else. Meaning it’s better to nerf/buff the singular builds that stick out as over/underperforming then shift the rest of the game to match them.

So the (cloud-based) servers going down is a dev issue rather than a provider issue?

I’ve also been able to level up to 17 & encountered 3 issues (character standing waste deep in a mound, a mob missing a hp bar & not having quest progression beyond The Summit). Yet you speak as though the game is unplayable (& for SP it would have issues getting beyond The Summit). It’s not.

You don’t count not being able to enter any map unplayable?

I do, but that’s not a game coding issue, that’s a server issue.

No way to know that.

Depends if devs’ software failed. Cloud providers have massive redundancy. If a server goes down it is immediately replaced. Absolutely standard for cloud-hosted services. However if the hosted software is at fault then it won’t matter; it’ll fail again sooner or later.

Exactly, yet you seem happy to cast blame without any actual knowledge…

There’s ways to bring these kinds of builds back in line, power-wise, without destroying the playstyle. Having a dmg reduction added to earthquake, for each time it is cast in an X-second window (resets after X seconds), to avoid the OP that came with spamming charge-bear earthquake. They could have capped the effect of Shadow Strike mods, so it wasn’t cast every attack. They can add auto-cast to Devouring Orb, but with a dmg reduction… etc etc etc. But instead, for whatever reason, the decision is just made to castrate builds.

1 Like

It wasn’t intended to be proc’d every hit once you got above 250% effect & when they fixed that issue they buffed the damage to compensate.

They also don’t want to add auto-cast as they feel it is a failure of design.

Yeah, but not allowing effectiveness to lower the hits-to-cast destroyed the feel of the build, and it became clunky. Could have capped it at 2 hits to cast, minimum, and adjusted the dmg to compensate. I know they upped the dmg, but the build just isn’t fun anymore – any that is the problem. If balancing makes a build unfun and/or destroys the playstyle, then it was done poorly.

How autocast a failure of design, when players can do it anyhow with auto-hotkey, or numlock trick? It’s going to happen with or without in-game support, so why not bake it into the game, and make the playstyle enjoyable? What does it hurt? How is being forced to click a button every second exciting? I enjoy my Hammerdin, but clicking the shit out of my mouse(or hotkey) the entire time I play really gets old, and makes me not want to play after a while. Besides, there’s aready a couple of skills with autocast/re-cast, so it’s not something that is taboo.

Also, I don’t know many builds that are single-button-only spam builds. So even if one skill was auto cast, then there would be 3 or 4 other buttons that would still nee clicking. Hell, just cap auto cast at one skill, so the other are still required to be pushed manually. It’s not rocket surgery.

2 Likes

Because they want gameplay to be an active affair & not be reduced to a walking simulator.

Yeah, we’ve heard that hyperbole before…

2 Likes