The feature that needs to be added to avoid bad reviews

There are a lot of small things that could be added or changed but one feature I believe that is critical to add is difficulty scaling for the initial campaign. I think the current campaign is great but it IS quite simple. Reviewers I believe will look at this as a big negative. It will also affect the additional play throughs on alts

There needs to be some mechanism to choose the level of difficulty of the initial campaign. It could be as simple as the toggle in Grim Dawn or more detailed. It would seem you already have the capability baked right into the game with corruption and map modifiers in the monoliths.

Just add a couple set difficulties that add corruption and some modifiers to the campaign so players have the ability to choose the difficulty of the initial experience.

4 Likes

I think your feedback would come across as a lot more genuine and honest if you just said this was something you personally wanted instead of trying to make a comically grandiose statement about hypothetical bad reviews.

No serious reviewer is gonna pan the game because the campaign doesnā€™t have a difficulty scaler. Itā€™s the introduction to the game. Itā€™s supposed to be simpler and less challenging.

15 Likes

Most people I know give a rats ass about the story part and look at it as tutorial they are forced to play through. A fast and easy story will not lead to bad reviews and there are far bigger construction sites ingame then the weak difficulty of the story line.

3 Likes

Game is built vastly different than GD. Multiple difficulty levels world be entirely unnecessary for LE. Plus if Iā€™m not mistaken solo self found and masochist mode are supposed to get added back at some point.

1 Like

Masochist, sadly, isnā€™t. Though I think that maybe theyā€™ll add something to replace it? Hopefully?

1 Like

Thereā€™s been so much talk around this mode I couldnā€™t remember were it actually landed. Thanks for clarifying that. Given EHGs reinvention of some ā€˜arpg standardsā€™ itā€™ll be interesting to see what they come up with it, if they do replace it with something.

I mean, campaign having or not having difficulty modes isnā€™t reinventing ARPG standards, since there are enough ARPGs out there with either of those options.

People said the same thing about auction houses and EHG came up with a very unique twist on it. So if ā€˜reinventionā€™ bothers you that much how about we just settle on ā€˜reinvisionā€™ and Iā€™ll still look forward to what they come up with.

2 Likes

You misunderstood me. I donā€™t have a problem with reinvention. I just meant that whether EHG keeps just the default difficulty or brings back masochist or similar, neither is a reinvention because both have been done before in other games.
Thatā€™s not to mean that they havenā€™t done a good job reinventing other stuff, nor that they wonā€™t be able to do the same to difficulties. I just meant that both options being presented already exist in various ARPGs.

No, I understood. You were refuting my saying ā€˜reinventionā€™. Which is fine. Thatā€™s why I said, letā€™s call it reinvision then.

In that case Iā€™m the one that misunderstood. How do you figure difficulties in LE are a reinvention/reinvision of existing systems in other games? I havenā€™t played masochist, since it was already removed when I bought LE, but from what I understand it was just ā€œeverything is x% harderā€.

Not trying to disagree with you, or anything. Itā€™s hard to convey tone in text form, but Iā€™m genuinely just curious and itā€™s quite possible Iā€™m just unaware of something.

What I was referring to was however LE decides to implement it will likely be a new angle and a fresh take and wonā€™t look anything like what weā€™ve had before. Just like theyā€™ve been doing with the auction house/trade thing that has ā€˜always been an existing in system in most other arpgs.ā€™

3 Likes

Oh, ok. I can agree with you there. LE feels really fresh with all the small (and big) stuff they implemented.

1 Like

No pressure, EHG, we donā€™t have high expectations at all.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Itā€™s not going to be on the same innovation scale as things like the item factions but we do have a very slightly different way of doing this planned. I donā€™t think it needs to be quite as much to be successful though.

6 Likes

Difficulty options are nice from some but I doubt its a make or break for a huge swath of players. I mean I could be wrong but I know that, I at least, wouldnā€™t adjust the difficulty of the campaign as I just want to run through it now that I have already done it once.

I am sure others would agree. I donā€™t play PoE but I know people who do and when a new league starts or they are making a new character they run through the campaign as fast as possible

A lot of us are very capable of appreciating the small changes as well as the broader changes. Just keep listening and spending those hours Judd mentioned in the video debating and working and brainstorming and even when you all have some stumbles, the track record is still better than the W/L ratio of some of the greatest sports coaches (Iā€™m completely mixing genres here but you know what I mean.)

3 Likes

Iā€™m still waiting for the Mike Voice Pack. Weā€™re approaching 3 years Mikeā€¦

3 Likes

Well I did just get a better micā€¦

5 Likes

You know what needs to be done Mike.

1 Like