The entire game cannot be 100% RNG based progression

Im currently level 95, im farming empowered timelines for about 8 hours a day and I have literally nothing to show for it.

I have re-run the lv100 version of the Fall of the Outcasts 21 times now and still have not recieved the Glyph blessing I want.

I can play for countless hours chasing high end crafting bases with 2 or 3 stats I need in good tiers and it doesnt matter b/c everything I touch fractures right of the bat regardless of how many glyphs of stability or guardian I set on fire.

Every monolith timeline I touch requires the maximum amount of echos to trigger the final boss at which point the fight is just beyond absurd b/c of the modifiers stacked on it, and im playing 1 of lizardirlā€™s builds he used to win the arena tournament so its pretty solid.

Anyways im just beyond frustrated with this entire game, I want to leave Path of exile, im sick of playing a game created and balanced for 8 no-life streamers but I cannot put in 100 real life hours into a game and have literally nothing to show for it.

I understand players cant just tap all their gear to quadruple tier 5 b/c then they would just quit but at the same time the entire game cannot be RNG progression based. I can play 100 hours and be in the same boat as someone who played 20 hours.

I honestly havent been this irritated since maple story 2 which lasted all of 2-3 months b/c of the same nonsense, players want actual progress for their time spent.

Please find some ways to address the crafting, the blessings, and the echos/modifiers, some of us just get absolutely screwed in every single possible way.

12 Likes

Crafting will receive more updates in the future.
Not sure if the fundamental system will change.
Maybe they come up with some solution to reduce the ā€œfeelsbad momentsā€.
But itā€™s rather easy to craft very strong items in LE.

Echoes/Modifers will most likely also be worked on in the future.
The next major update will contain MoF changes as far as we know.

Regarding Blessings: I donā€™t know, they working on a new UI, but they said they want to keep them random.

1 Like

I feel your pain, I try to farm for certain affixes and sometimes blessings or Uniques from bosses that drop them all to no avail.
With that being said, I know itā€™s still in beta and the devs are working on improvements as Heavy said and am waiting patiently because for the most part I love the game so far. Hope you stick with it to see full release and see what the devs do to answer some of the concerns.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a very long discussion I have with my son.
For him, your actions as a player must have a predictable result. If I hit a mob, I can calculate how much damage I will deal. Not a fork or a percentage, but a fixed figure. If I craft, I should be able to tell exactly what I will have as a result.
According to him, RNG before action is good (the generation of the map, the nature and position of mobs, etc) but the RNG after action is a bad mechanics (percentage of success/failure, randomness of loot, etc).
So his conclusion is that Last Epoch is a very good game in a very bad genre. Imagine the discussions we can have. ^^

All this to say I think youā€™re right, too much RNG can kill a game. But in Last Epoch, till now I did not feel there was too much RNG. Your case makes me wonder, but I still think the game has the right balance between deterministic and RNG.

Letā€™s see what the devs have prepared for next patch, first. Then we may think further and make some suggestions. What is very positive is that the devs are really listening to the community. Of course not applying every recommendation or advice, but they are really caring for their game and how we play it.

4 Likes

It depends on the stage of the game your at too, like when I was leveling, or just doing the normal monoliths it wasnt that upsetting.

The problem is late game when you want to min/max your gear and farm lv100 blessings.

I am now at 28 fall of the outcasts timelines run without the blessing I need, and I havent been able to make a new piece of gear in the last 32 real life hours played b/c of nonstop fracturing.

4 Likes

Yes, that is what makes me wonder. Either you are very unlucky, or there should be some way to increase chances after a bunch of attempts. Unsure the devs can make something like this, though, because it would be very difficult to detect and to balance.

Maybe one could set a preference for the blessing they want after having completed the monolith the first time and it goes up %wise every time one completes it but does not get it.

A bit like the % chance to get the quest echo that goes up, youā€™ll eventually get it.

What would then be left is to get it at the best roll, so thereā€™s still incentive to repeat.

And you do get XP still, not sure of those 5 points still matter to your build but thatā€™s at least a non-RNG part of it. Until you reach level 100 I imagine.

New stuff is on the way.

Just asking because itā€™s feeling a bit awkward, you know that fall of the outcast can only have a certain type of blessing right ? And none of them are super min max Blessing tbhā€¦

98% of the blessing are increasing drop rate and only 2 are exp gainsā€¦

Not quite, 9 of the 10 that you can get are drop rate blessings & the other 1 is xp.

I would like if they kept blessings random but you can change them at will to any blessing you have gotten previously (for the particular slot anyway). It would always hold the highest rolled of any given specific blessing in your blessing interface.

I know they have said they fear people changing out things before boss fights, but nobody does that. Affixes are way too puzzled together to allow for hot swapping of skills/gear/blessings.

5 Likes

True, was just counting the empowered one and the normal one, at the end if he doesnā€™t know how the blessing work and heā€™s trying to get Endurance or Crit multi here, itā€™s gonna be hard :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know, if it were as easy as swapping gems in PoE I think people probably would if they had a blessing that were more useful for clearing monoliths & a different one on the same slot that were more useful for bosses (though I canā€™t think of any at the moment).

2 Likes

you and I are in the same boat; I see cracks that must be filled for game longevity

That was my point. There arenā€™t any. Any that are of a defensive mechanic it is probably already integral to your build and at a precise amount to sync up with the affixes on your gear and the nodes on your passive tree. Any that are offensive are probably just as woven into your build as the defensive ones. The only ones I could see being hot-swappable in a semi abusable way would be the gear drop blessings. If you are about to fight a boss that has the 12.5% chance to drop that certain unique, go pop on the blessing that increases drops of that item type. Is that really that big of a deal though?

The affix system in the game is a blessing and a curse. It makes it near impossible to easily switch out a piece of gear because the affixes have to match so precisely, but it also makes hot swapping abuse near non-existant.

1 Like

The only thing Iā€™ve been able to do is swap out the second off hand weapon for a shield you know in desperation for some nasty boss but thatā€™s about it yeah swapping gear is a nightmare in this game

1 Like

saying that this game is 100% rng progression is not true at all. Once you understand, and grasp the loot filter, then you can craft easy t15ā€™s and start feeling good about your character, thats also assuming you know what passive points to put in the skill and mastery trees for whatever type of build you are wanting to play. Anything extra after that, is purely for arena pushing, or theorizing other builds to play. You donā€™t even need blessings, or t20ā€™s or exalted, or unique items to steam roll monolith content in non empowered, and empowered timelines. Everything else is extra icing on cake basically. After that point you start becoming very very powerful, so after the t15ā€™s and how cheap/easy it is to make those based purely on drop find, and a little bit of gambling, it makes sense to have rng to make better things or get better things for optimization purposes for your build. End game is done after you do roughly 700 echoes anyways, at this point in the beta until more content and changes are added. Keep this in mind we are min maxing right now for what, roughly 50% of the games total overall content. Please realize this, and take into consideration that the game is far from being in a polished, and completed state.

4 Likes

Given that at the moment the monoliths are our only end game ā€˜chaseā€™, they need to be a time sink or weā€™ll have nothing to do. As we get more activities and more things to chase Iā€™m confident we arenā€™t going to be just chasing our blessings.
If the final reward screen does stay the same when we have new content, Iā€™d argue strongly for an additional option that lets you reroll the blessing you have and then keep/replace the roll.
With the current system, even if you want a blessing from the common pool you only have 1/3 chance for it to pop. It is very easy to go 5+ entire mono runs without seeing one of the common blessings. Then, assuming you have a 50% roll and want better, you are looking at very common losing streaks as the OP describes which we all know are one of the things that makes us walk away from games.
The problem is much worse for the uncommon blessings. To get one and then get an upgrade roll in another run is simply not practical ā€“ if the monos were to stay like this and we have no other options. Lucky for us we have more goodies coming soon!

3 Likes

It is time that they bring more end game options .
Arena and monoliths are boring for me after 600+ hours .
Especially when you reach your chars around lvl 80.

To clarify my frustrations were over min/maxing, not making acceptable tier 15 pieces and I have a table of all the blessings available for each area, I wasnt trying to get for example endurance threshold in the empowered version of the 55 timeline.

After the 30th rerun of that timeline with no glyph bonus and a week straight of no succesfull crafts I abandoned the character and just started a different one. Im a stay at home dad mon-fri and work night shift on the weekends so when I say a week straight of no progress im literally talking like 40 real life hours, thats absurd.

But ya you can throw together stuff with x2 tier 5 rolls and x2 tier 2 or 3 rolls, sure, endgame though I like to min/max and go for perfect stuff, idm grinding but there has to be a reward at some point.

If you ask someone what kind of percentage theyā€™d rate a landline at for reliability/uptime theyā€™d probably say 99% since itā€™s virtually never down. The thing is 99% availability means almost 4 full days of downtime in a year.

In reality pots landlines are rated at 99.999% uptime, the famous ā€œFive Ninesā€.

The problem is that human brains are terrible at intuitively grasping the meaning of a numerical statistic. Itā€™s why most games that reveal statistics to players, like the infamous X-Com series for example, actually cheat in your favor even though it doesnā€™t feel like it.

Since genetic engineering isnā€™t a thing yet and the developers probably donā€™t want to wait for evolution to fix this glitch the only real solution is implementing sympathy mechanics. Track how much effort/time/resources has been put into something and pick some point to cut off the bell curve.