The coming Gift system encourages party playing too much

That’s called an MMO. That isn’t the definition of multiplayer. Are all online fps games not multiplayer then?

1 Like

Littering.
Just like my neighbourhood. I should try D3, would feel just like home.

D3 explains this feeling extremely well. Due to uncapped paragons and the massive paragon gaining bonus of four man metas, you are either forced to do them or forget about hitting the top of the leaderboards (for softcore at least as the botters are afraid of HC).

I don’t think a group meta in LE will feel compulsive for MP leaderboard chasers. But I think it’s too soon to declare the outcome one way or the other. It depends on too many factors with the biggest one being how many people end up playing and chasing the leaderboards.

1 Like

That’s simply a normal thing to say to the group in D3. It is a side benefit of grouping.

Although if you look in the class specific communities there are always people asking to tag along and have higher paragon players of the same class share what they don’t need.

Also we can’t directly compare d3 items and LE items. In D3 you don’t have to grind for weeks to get an item . You can get any item in D3 within 1-3 days even with a bad luck. There’s no chase items. There 's stats chasing. To get a perfect rolled item with proper stats your build needs.

multiplayer → MMORPG → more bot → RMT → money

1 Like

Way to compare apples and grapes. I guess online chess games are multiplayer as well? If you want to be liberal with applying the terminology.

HoMM 3, I believe it was, introduced LAN/Dial-Up play. But no one would consider it multiplayer, and the developer even specifically calls it co-op.

If both players in only chess are human it’s multiplayer. 2 sec google search gives a dozen examples and all are the same ^^.

multiplayer

adjective

1. Requiring or allowing multiple human players to play simultaneously.

So there is no need to go liberal just go with the definition :wink: then again chess might not get a pass here because people could argue you don’t play simultaneously.

the definition is not 100% correct. Doesn’t LE already allow multiple human players to play it simultaneously ?
There should be smth about players interaction

No, as (on live) your pc us the one doing all the server-y type stuff and nobody can join your game (it’s also offline excluding the chat). If you’ve got many people playing an offline game (eg, Civ 1 or the original Doom) at the same time across the world (or whatever), that doesn’t make those games multiplayer.

That’s assumed in the “requiring” bit.

Well this has backfired horribly. I was attempting to gather information on exactly where the line was for them, not spark a debate on the topic. I think it’s safe to say that it’s at least a little bit a subjective term in certain contexts. Yes it can be taken literally and as soon as you have two players involved, it’s technically multiplayer but we often used terms to describe games that fit into general genres that aren’t quite literal.

Take ARPG for example, it’s a different genre than Action RPG even though ARPG means Action RPG. These subtle differences in terminology tell us a lot about the game. In this case, most notably, the camera angle is generally completely different.

I’m sorry to have thrown this so far off topic.

I was pretty pissed back in the day when some donkys started to call isometric H&S games ARPGs :smiley: . To me ARPG was everything not isometric ^^. Subjectivity is always a bad measurement if there are facts out there that make subjective oppinions or feelings obsolate.

1 Like

I was calling them “diablo-like” for a very long time. Not perfect but everybody understood what it meant.
Then people started talking about ARPGs and I got used to it. It is less clear, but it gives Blizzard less free advertisement. :slight_smile:

PS: Nice one Mike, now we’re still off topic, but about something else!

Yea, I’m just the worst sometimes eh?

1 Like

As much as it gives blizzard free advertisement, I like it so much better then ARPG.

like for me, Lost ark is not an arpg in the likes of PoE/Trochlight/Grimdawn etc. Its an rpg with action elements sure. but so is something like skyrim.

Diablo-like very much cements the games as really what they are, games styled and inspired after the diablo formula.

Arpg is such a bad term :frowning:

1 Like

People seem to disagree on this but I, and many others, consider the following to be MMOARPGs

• Lost Ark
  • Marvel Heroes Online (RIP)
  • Devilian
  • Mu Legends

Some people hate that they are considered ARPGs, but they have action isometric based combat as opposed to the tab targeting of most MMOs. They are clearly inspired by Diablo clones but add in MMO systems.

2 Likes

but there’s no AND there’s OR. ‘Requiring’ is not required :smiley:

On a basic level, RPG as an overarching term, I think, has to do with developing a story/character/party over multiple sessions.
I think the genre descriptions for games has gotten extremely nuanced.

RPG, aRPG, MMORPG, etc.

I think there are 2 pillars when grouping these things. Firstly, number of characters a player can play at the same time. Secondly, number of other players that can play at the same time.

To me, the RPG moniker is very general, but also, when someone talks about a game being ‘just a’ RPG, they are mostly talking about single player games where the player controls a party.

While some would still classify games of an action fantasy with only a main character as an RPG, that isn’t technically correct (anymore at least). These are the aRPGs. The games can belong to the “RPG” general category though.

*gets confusing since RPG has 2 different meanings for game categorization

Basically, games started as just RPG or Action/Adventure. As games became more complex, subgroups started to develop that peeled away from the general group. RPG as a genre is basically what is left after the subgroups have been peeled off. Ask anyone to give an example of a video game RPG (plain rpg) and you will almost always get people talking about Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Breath of Fire, etc. Whatever the newer RPG games are.

You have a long way to go young padawan…

At least it looks like people see that the name of the genre is more important then who get what loot… finaly :smiley: .

1 Like