The Bazaar

How about we all just chill out a little, myself included.

The devs have given us a fantastic starting platform of a game. They seem to have their heads screwed on and be in touch with what the players want. So why don’t we just wait and see what THEY decide to implement and then see whether or not it’s to the majority’s liking?

It’s all well & good giving feedback, but this thread seems to me to have gone completely out of control. After all, it’s 10 gazillion comments all based on a few paragraphs of a broad concept that no one has even seen yet. As far as I’m concerned now I’m happy to wait & see what appears. I have no doubts that the devs will listen to any feedback once we’ve all actually seen what is proposed,

3 Likes

Let me repeat myself. LE doesn’t need any trading apart from trading within your guild or exchange items dropped while playing together. Sometimes ‘more’ doesn’t mean ‘better’

Yes it does.

See how useful that type of answer is? Fortunately for me, there were several good replies above that make the point, especially one with a quote from someone who has a lot more experience than either of us.

You are and that’s awesome. I, and others, are concerned about the level of friction the current system introduces on paper but we aren’t going to know until we get to use it in a fully fleshed out form which will also require a sufficiently large number of participants in the trade system.

What if the shops selected were based on having at least 1 item that would be visible based on your loot filter? That way it’s up to the player to use the loot filter as an expression of what they want to get and you’d know that each shop would have at least 1 item you may be interested in.

So the RMTers put together a Super Trade Guild that all players join and are happily able to carry on their nefarious deeds while everyone else in the guild do the hideous “LTB: xxxxxx” messages in chat to buy their desired end-game items that harks back to PoE and presumably D2.

Thanks for the note, Mike. I don’t know what sort of ideas you can take from us and use (I think anything we post becomes EHG intellectual property, pretty sure) so please, any ideas we’ve posted that you think will work, have a go at it.

For me, thinking outside the box (& inside it, to some extent) is key for Trade. I think LE has an opportunity to re-invent trade in a way that makes logical sense, and throws out the “traditional” model. If Trade is nothing more than another source of items in a loot-based game, then it becomes “necessary” to obtain loot at the “proper” rate, and you Devs needs to factor it into the drop rates, which penalizes SSF folks.

I think several ideas have been posted in this thread thus far:

• Certain items untradable (bind on pickup)
  • Tradable items “bind on trade” to prevent permanent re-sale. (No flipping/market manipulation)
  • Instability on Trade, to make trading for a crafting base less useful than finding one.
  • Lower drop Rates on Account per Trade, so SSF do not suffer reduced drop rates but traders do.
  • Free person-to-person trade for someone who was on your Friends List prior to the date/time stamp that the item was looted (have to track loot pickup timestamp, and Friends List add timestamp).
  • And more I am not remembering.
1 Like

These 2 points simply contraddict each other: have 2 accounts, get the drops with one and sell/buy with the other.

I didn’t say EHG should do them all, it was just a list of all the ideas I remembered.

then there will just be a big trade guild

the thing about trade is that unless it only works on one specific ultra rare currency(that is really useful in almost every build, eg. something that lets you reroll idol prefix/suffix), players will just drop the price to an insanely low level no matter how you go about it.

Now that someone from EHG has responded and said that they are reading the stuff, I don’t think I need to repeat what I dislike about Bazaar in particular. Instead I will say what I do want.

1:Something other than gold to trade as a currency. It has to be somewhat rare and useful in builds for crafting or such(kinda like how chaos is defacto currency in PoE because it is used everywhere in crafting), even if it is just an idol reroller

2:I want looking at the bazzaar for what I want to be painless - as in not require me to mouse over items to know if it fits my filter.

3:I want to not have to wait forever for someone to even know that I put the item up for sale. There is nothing worse than getting that one unique that everyone wants and is willing to buy for a large amount of currency only for no-one to see it due it not popping up in the auction house.

4:I do not want cheated items/currency in the marketplace, I am not sure how you do this besides putting the game server side(and doing that creates PoE lag issues and a large server maintenance cost), the solution may be worse than the problem, so I am unsure of this one.

5:I use a high strictness filter and tend to see a item I would like to craft on almost every mono. I would like to be able to find a decent item in marketplace faster than it takes me to complete a mono run, keep in mind that I would need to farm anyways to afford whatever it is I am buying, - I am paying in the marketplace with generally farmable stuff to save me time farming something specific. High rarity items would likely be costly anyways, so I will not get perfect items right off the bat.

6:Item slots per player just encourages multiple accounts and bots if it is too small a number.

This is my favorite because it promotes a (small) community but it also need a realistic limit 10-15 people. Or else you could end up with everyone on your friends list. Also the pick up timestamp would need to be maintained between trade so that you don’t loop it to someone else.

I know all the drawbacks of trading and I’m against it. When I talked ‘trade within guild’ it was only exchange for another item or just a free give-away. Really why would anyone sell an item for gold to his / her guild mates? Besides an item should be character bound if traded (exchanged).

1 Like

They have said many many times that multiplayer is going to be server authoritative, meaning the server tells our client what’s happening and the client’s job is only to display that to us as well as take our input and send it to the server. Since only multiplayer characters would have access to the bazaar and those are stored on EHG’s servers there can’t be any cheated items on the bazaar.

That’s barter which is an entirely different (and way more primitive beast given money was invented around 600 BC purely to get around the fact that sometimes I don’t want any of your iron widgets in trade for my chicken, but I will always be happy to take your gold coins that I can then trade for whatever I want (probably some shiny beads on a string to keep the wife happy).

Also, who would require something of equal value from a guildie rather than just giving them the item they need for their build? Isn’t that a bit mercenary?

1 Like

I’m cool with the current concept of the Bazaar because it’s not that AH where you just pop in, and gear your complete character within 5 minutes because you have world wide access to every single item that somebody is selling.

Yes, there has to certain level ofconvenience.

There were some suggestions working with the lootfilter. Either this or create a shop filter where you can set a separate filter for items you want to shop. When you enter the Bazaar you get a visual hint at which vendor you get items matching that filter.

Maybe implement a buy order: You can set up a vendor that buys items that match your criteria.

Or have a Bazaar NPC that filters items for you. This NPC could also manage the buy orders. You put items into his window and if there are any buy orders for it he will buy it for the fixed price. The buyer will get a message that he can fetch the item from that NPC.

I’m ok with any trading system that is not the classic AH.

Having a Guild Stash (when Guilds are implemented), would be nice. Imho supporting friends and guild members with items is important for the sense of community a guild should provide.

2 Likes

As I posted, what seems like a long long time ago, in this thread I am also perfectly fine with the currently stated concept of the Bazaar. I fully expect there to be tweaks made as and when needed. I remember, with great fondness, the “Marketplace” in Shaiya. I spent many happy hours in there chatting nonsense with others I had got to know on our server, and I used to do that while browsing people’s shops.

I enjoyed the concept of shopping as opposed to trading or just looking at an AH. Granted, it’s only my opinion, but I have actually experienced a “Bazaar” in an online game I have actually played in the past.

I’ve used AH’s in other games and they have been useful but it’s very clinical. I’ve experienced PoE’s vision of “trading” and absolutely detested it. In games where getting the BiS is mandatory to play end game and you need to get it asap, then AH’s worked the best for me in the past. In LE, I don’t feel that immediate need to get BiS as soon as I hit Monos and I’m happy to grind for it; this is one of the things I love the most about LE atm. In light of the non-panic to get BiS gear, I think that a Bazaar will give a new experience for most hardened vets and indeed might turn out to be a refreshing change from what they’ve experienced in PoE, WoW, or Diablo games. I still say, give it a chance, experience it, and then form your own firm opinions.

3 Likes

It is almost AH function but it will only have poor GUI.

Did I mention ‘equal value’'? It is just exchange of items regardless of their absolute value. You need my item I might make use of yours so why not exchange :smiley: ?

Just to make myself more clear. In ideal world, in perfectly fair realm - free trading (for gold) is a nice addition. But… it is not possible to rule out all the minuses it brings along - like 3rd party website real money trading, scam, flipping , spammin chats and so on.

No, it is not. The Bazaar is an instance where you have a certain amount of shops of other players. We don’t know the numbers, yet, but you don’t have access globally or region wide. And you can’t reset these instances manually. I guess they reset after a certain period of time.

My suggestion/suggestions of others aim to make it easier for people to see if in the current instance that is availible theres is something useful. So you don’t easy time browsing all available shops just to recognise that there’s nothing you want or need.

Though if the instance is only populated with shops that have at least 1 item on your loot filter, that would solve the “is there anything interesting here?” issue.

What about makeing items some kind of soulbound? It could be % amount. Plus make unique items no-trade(they are unique so shouldnt be spamable). Or add fee based on inflation? It prevent full gearing in 3 min and still make game enjoyable for SSF players(like me).

inflation is more an issue in gold based system where the currency doesn’t get used elsewhere(basically the currency has to be removed from circulation somewhere along the line). PoE doesn’t have this issue as the currency is used for everything so you actually have less of it to trade with.