Stuttering sound

Hi, just got the game.
The sound is stuttering immensely though.
any way to fix this?

Hey… Welcome to the forum…

There are a few reports on sound stuttering but nothing conclusive as to the cause that has been reported - at least not on the forum.

When the devs see this, they are going to need more info from you… See https://support.lastepoch.com/category/35-useful-files

Without more info its pretty difficult to help… assuming you have done the usual maintenance on your system (patches, drivers for sound & gpu etc) here is one suggestion in the meanwhile… See if setting LE graphics to lower options and limiting framerate… LE does have performance issues - even on high end systems - and lowering the settings can give some idea of if this is a performance problem or not (i.e. bug somewhere).

I have this very issue.

I started playing this game today, and have attempted to play with a mage and an acolyte with the same result, both lvl 2 so there isn’t much to say about their build.

I have attempted to fix the issue through:

• updating my drivers
  • switching from maximized windowed mode to exclusive full screen mode
  • setting graphics to very low
  • setting FPS limit to foreground and background (60 and 30)

I’m not playing the game through Steam.

DxDiag.txt (81.2 KB) le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes) Player.log (38.9 KB) Player-prev.log (18.0 KB)

Edit : I started playing on mute, and after a while I tried to unmute the game.
The sound works fine until I move, and at that moment the stutter is back.

1 Like

Wish there were more reports of this so that the devs had something to compare user info against and see what could be causing it… Based on the number of sound related problems reported on the forum, generally people are NOT having sound problems so its obviously a very specific situation that is causing this but without more info I expect it will be difficult to resolve.

Is it happening on sound effects or music or both?
For now I’d disable the music in settings menu - rather than mute it in Windows.

Also… is your CPU or Harddrive busy when the stuttering happens?

Are you running anything in background - screen capture, other sound apps… etc… if you are, maybe try with those off/disabled to see if it makes a difference.

How much memory is LE using on your system… on my 16gb system its using up 10-12gb… Whats it doing on your 8GB setup?

Thanks for responding so quickly.

It’s happening for all sound effects (it’s way more noticeable on music and environment).
When I said mute, I was referring to disabling the master volume ingame.

CPU is at around 33% so it’s not idle but not overworked either. Memory is at 6 GB though. If it’s an application cap, it could be related.

Aside from chrome, there’s nothing on the background, and no other sound app.

OK then… Rapidly running out of ideas to suggest… Hopefully the devs will at least see this, even if they dont reply, and try and figure it out…

Have you tried different sound outputs… i.e. via HDMI (if you can) vs your Realtek on board… or maybe even via USB if you have one of those USB Sound dongle/DSP cables/speakers… Anything to try and isolate the problem…

I usually use headphones via USB. I tried on my speakers with the same result.
I intended to buy more RAM for other games I’m playing, I guess I’ll do it next week.

Let us know if the additional RAM makes a difference…

Ok so I replaced my 2x4 GB RAM by 2x8 GB, total memory usage jumped to 11 GB. Yet sound is still stuttering.
I don’t think we can outright exclude memory capacity from the cause, but it now becomes highly unlikely.

Note : I have only 2 RAM slots on my motherboard so there shouldn’t be any channel issue.

Honestly doubted it wouldnt be that simple… Cant think of anything else to try… Suppose the only +ve thing is that you are not the only one having sound stuttering problems so lets hope the devs can find the cause…

I’m also having this exact problem! You’ve described my situation and attempted fixes fairly well above - so not much new to add this other than to say it happened to me also.

Please post your system info (files the devs will use)… see comment above…

that way they have multiple sets of data to compare - hopefully it will help them find the problem…

I’m also having this same problem! The audio stutters If I have, and sometimes stutters on the cut-scenes as well.

DxDiag.txt (104.4 KB) le_graphicsmanager.ini (498 Bytes) Player.log (19.5 KB) Player-prev.log (39.8 KB)

Thanks for posting the info…

Quick question, your ini file indicates that you are running the game at Very High settings and this is known to cause a lot of instability and errors, even on high-end desktop systems (i.e. 30 series GPUs and matching performance CPUs)…

Are you finding the game stable?
What fps do you get and are you getting massive fps spikes?
Can you attempt the game on very low in-game settings and see if this improves the sound issue?

@vapourfire I’ll respond later (or tomorrow) with the answers to the rest of your questions, but after having a quick test now it seems the stuttering does disappear when running on very low.

Thank you! Now the game is playable at least :slight_smile:

Hmm… Thanks for responding… this helps trace the issue - especially if the audio stuttering turns out to be performance related…

Just wanted to chime in that this exact issue is happening to me and makes the game pretty awful. Never used to happen. Haven’t played in several months and wanted to come back to it but the audio stutter is madness and playing a game without audio is just ridiculous.

I hope this gets fixed soon while I realize it must be an incredibly elusive bug. For what it is worth my rig is more than capable of handling this game and I don’t even have everything tuned up to maximum settings in game.

1 Like

DxDiag.txt (92.7 KB) output_log.txt (33.1 KB) Player.log (27.4 KB) Player-prev.log (88.9 KB)

What the hell may as well give you these but I doubt they’ll do any good.

Hey… Dont think there is a solution for this yet, but after looking at your logs and dxdiags, I would suggest that you update your OS (there is a new update) and various drivers (graphics is over a year old). This may solve it for you… it may not, but its always good to keep your system updated - especially with playing games that tend to break things.

There are also a few crashes (end of the DxDiag file) that refer to AUDIODG.EXE - this is part of the Windows 10 audio system and if there is something wrong with it, it would definitely attribute to ALL sound problems on the system… I’d suggest you google that one to see what Microsoft recommends to deal with it.

There are also a few RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 which refer to memory related issues… I would suggest you also check your system memory - maybe run some memory diagnostic tools to verify that something is not flaky…

After checking the above, have you tried the various in-game setting changes to see if its performance related? i.e. setting it to 1080p, 60fps framerate limited, everything on very low or disabled… If the problem goes away at those settings then it could be a performance issue on your system.

Vapourfire, thank you very much for taking the time to look into my system and for your helpful comments. Truly appreciated.

I just posted this to the other thread on this same topic. I found a fix (for me at least). For what it is worth I have NOT updated anything on my machine and this does work every time, for me. Here is the copy/paste that I just posted on the other similar topic.

"I have found a stupid-silly fix to this that works for me every time, at least.

Maybe this will provide the devs with some insight or path to research… I’m not sure but I hope so.

Every time I enter the game these days, once I actually load a character to play I get the stuttering.

And I played around with the settings so much and one time the stuttering audio stopped. I tried to re-create that, and after several trials I am sure of what to do (for me, at least).

Go into settings after you load your character, go to the Sound tab, and slide the Master Volume all the way to zero. Release the mouse. Slide it back up to wherever you want it, and exit the settings menu.

The audio stuttering should be gone. I have done this close to 10 times now and it works every time. ONE time the stuttering came back while gaming for no apparent reason, but I did this again and it went away.

I am VERY interested to hear feedback on this."