Stun Avoidance scaling

After dropping some defense stats from my idols to get 1204 Stun Avoidance, I noticed that I was still getting stunned by tiny hits. And then after switching back, I’m now better against being 1-shot and against 100 small hits.

So, it seems like the Stun Avoidance stat is under-tuned.

PS: I am noticing this around corruption level 300.

3 Likes

Sure is, alot of stats are under tuned.

1 Like

Stun Avoidance as a stat is an unabashed trap that shouldn’t exist to begin with.

Stun is fine, even longer ones like ones that boss should have at some point, where you would ideally, you would want to dodge it and if you can’t, well you will be stunned for X amount of seconds… This is where stun avoidance (needs to be reduced stun reduction or something for bosses) and sustainability and other defense mechanisms should and can come into play but at the current state of the game, defensive doesn’t do much, especially at the higher corruptions.

Is it just me or since 1.0 after the stun avoidance change, it’s really much worse now? Like I don’t even remember getting stunned this much pre 1.0. Even if I did, I don’t think it was this noticeable. Also the annoying CLANK sound.

Kinda

Kinda satisfying to me…

Nah. Effects that remove control of the player’s character do not belong in PvE content.

And Stun Avoidance is still a trap anyway. You can stack it to the moon at the expense of other, better defenses and it still isn’t effective enough.

1 Like

Why not?

1 Like

Yes, stun avoidance is trash and trap stat but stun is great modifier, especially for slower units… The stuns are usually on the easy and slow side to avoid but ways to help ease it down as insurance or just necessary for harder end game scenarios would be good imo

For what it’s worth, there is no way currently to stack defense effective in a way where it makes it matter. You can simply turn any class into a “glass cannon” when they really aren’t. That’s just how easy and simple the game is currently scaled at for progression.

Should just be a reduce stun duration + increase stun immunity time after stuns. Combined into a single stat.

The current one is already mitigated by HP more than the stat ever could.

2 Likes

ting is the true boss of Last Epoch. It is undefeatable, and ever present force

1 Like

I agree so much. It seems like D2 (D1?) had their freeze / freeze potion and every arpg ever since blindly kept and expanded on it. The inability to react simply because a reaction mechanic does not exist is even worse. Having to build immunity (poe) is just a mandatory chore. I forget the whole list, but I stopped playing grim dawn when I saw stun, freeze, hypnotise, and even more loss of control effects you’d have to find immunity to.

Stun (and all loss of control effects), IMO, should never be instantly applied to the player character. If it were my game free to design, they would inflict a 3 second debuff, that unless you reacted (eg button x to debuff x, y to y, etc) during that duration, would then inflict it.

It should be action - reaction, not action - game over.

1 Like

Stuns are usually one of the easiest skills to dodge and on top of that, are ways to reduce stun duration and/or increase stun immunity time.

If you get hit from stun, you must be pretty bad but in some scenarios, you might just so happen or rather incorporate some reduction and immunity to it because in that duration of the time and animation to complete his stun, instead of running around and dodging, you could be attacking.

Nah you misread my post.
It’s not about stun per se, its about reaction to all loss of control effects - post-active reaction never works, they tried it in PoE with potion mods, didn’t work. The player action needs to be pre-emptive to the effect, which is only done by player notification and reaction mechanics.

If you can’t build complete 100% immunity to it, it will kill you at some point, just a matter of time.

I mean, it’s definitely not the best mechanic but it definitely fits in, especially for bosses. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to get caught in a stun animation skill.

You don’t need to have complete immunity, although that would be nice, you just need to reduce it enough, to the point that you can survive for that duration. If a game is pulling a 1 shotter during that duration of the stun, no matter how you build then thats another issue that needs to be explored.

Since this is a game of infinite levels, it can get to that point but realistically, no. Progression and scaling should never get to the point where you can’t defend against it no matter what, even if you build more defensively and start playing more strategically with party.

That is the ideal vision, even for EGH themselves which i’m sure better progression is one of the priorities they are working on. Even though its “infinite” stages, realistically, of course, there is a ideal limit to the level reachable. It wasn’t planned to get to the point of such high corruption so fast where no matter how you build, you cannot prevent getting 1shotted and/or dying in < 5 seconds.

Stun in particular - you could possibly avoid most of them if they were always telegraphed attacks. All it takes is one non telegraphed stun and some other mob dealing damage - at some point - the combination will kill the player character. You cant rely on movement skill cooldown being up when an aoe stun is telegraphed… so the best option is increased movement speed. And add to that the hitbox issues, no poe type ‘phasing’ and terrain collision that ‘bugs’ some movement skills… you can’t possibly survive 100% of the time, and it only takes 1 to kill you.

I haven’t personally died to stun yet in this game, but I know it’ll happen.

I just wish designers would consider whether such mechanics as stun, freeze, etc, should actually exist in the state they have in arpgs for so long. Expecting players to react after the event doesn’t work, reduced chance of it happening doesn’t work. The only exception is if people use third party tools to automate mitigation, usually against ToS.

Best solution IMO, is not to apply the effect instantly (unless its clearly telegraphed) and give players tools to mitigate it pre-emptively, not post.

Not just telegraphed attacks, a lot have slow as heck animations. Overall, all stuns are usually super easy to dodge and give you a way more time than their other skills. I did not even mention it but yes, traversal skills are an addition way to dodge here as every class has one.

I would say you can survive 100% of the time if you build more on the defensive side… Basically maybe even “suggest” to build differently for areas, especially for boss.

It isn’t a must do to have to change up gear/build to go into a certain boss/area but there should be a choice to aid you if you are are having trouble and/or can help make it easier.

This is usually done through gear and skills and doing such things as to making sure you maxed out the proper resists.

Yes, all the mechanics also need to be decided if they can exist in their current state of the game. I think your solution is too easy and doesn’t suit the game. This is why games end game and hardest bosses normally have as much different mechanics and phases fit into that one battle.

I’d imagine that’s what all these monolith/dungeon bosses will be eventually, rather than which type attacks it will spawn. AFAIK, they normally only use a few of their skills.

If this was aimed to be casual then it would fit right in but as an mmo, it should be somewhat competitiv and all those mechanics just make the game more challenging in the perspective where it makes everything harder.

Er, to survive NON telegraphed stuns, you have to stay away from all mobs, hence why people build max movement speed and damage. Many defensive options are ironically the worst way to survive (some aren’t, but some are useless).

EDIT: Nothing wrong with simple solution. KISS principle and all that. Not sure why it wouldn’t suit this game. That said, implementing entirely new mechanics is far from a simple solution :confused:

Not true, you do not need to stay away from mobs, if there are any, to play against it. Most of the time usually is just simply as just killing the mobs which usually dies quickly and easily.

Unless this is some sort more complex exclusive or final boss you make it out to be then yes, it’s even more difficult but there always ways to also help/counter it.

I didn’t even want to go that far, just bosses with another skill or basic stun goes a long way. Like a charge up picking up his mace and slamming it in the same spot. Adding just a simple skill rotation in RnG goes a long way.

Even with maxed endurance, 75% resist, a shield with large block absorb and block chance, ward, crit avoidance, dot mitigation, and ward, you still die in about 3 seconds against a group of 5+ enemies.

Its almost as if i/one has to fight each of these one on one. As taking on mulitple is a death sentence in vast majority of cases