Stuck at account selection screen

Been successfully using the game for a long time, but since this morning, I’m stuck here, see Snapshot : I can move the mouse but the buttons (“Switch user”, “Settings”, “Exit game”) are not responsive. As a consequence I cannot play the game at all.

What I tried (but did not change a thing) :

• Launch the game several times
  • Launch the game using “LastEpoch.exe” instead of the launcher
  • Empty “C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games” before launching the game

I’m running the game on Windows 10 without Steam. Note that I cannot kill the .exe using the tasdk manager as LE “locks” the mouse. To kill the game I have to force a Windows disconnect…

Super annoying.

Now what ?

Hi,

Please can you post the player.log, le_graphicsmanager and the output of a dxdiag report - these files should give the devs a better view on what is going on… The player.log may even give an error that could indicate exactly what is happening.

In the meanwhile…

1. try verifying the game or reinstalling it

2. check that your EHG account is functional by logging in https://lastepoch.com/player/account/overview

3. Make sure that your GPU driver is something recent (2-3 months old)

4. Check that your OS is patched and that there are no failed updates causing issues

5. Have you been having or noticed any network issues? Can you check your firewall to make sure its not blocking LE executables in any way?

The issue seems fixed.

I tried again to run the game with an empty “C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games” folder. This time it worked (without any of my character of course).

Then I added my saved files and it worked again.

So the exact same thing I did the day before, but this time it succeeded. Go figure.

Unfortunately this is the nature of beta products… Weird unexplained things are entirely possible… :wink:

If it happens again, try verifying the game files before doing any other tests - this process usually resolves the weirdness so its a good starting point…

It could also have been the game settings file (which you would have cleared with the folder)… sometimes this can cause problems and forcing the game to reset it help… If it happens again, try JUST removing le_graphicamanager.ini (and the .bak) and seeing if this helps…

Thanks for the extra feedback.

Can you tell how I can “verify the games files” (I do not use Steam) ?

Great, it happens again. Stuck again at account selection.

I tried to remove just “le_graphicamanager.ini” as suggested => does not change a thing.

I tried to delete the whole “C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games” folder => does not change a thing.

Note that last time I played (yesterday actually) it worked fine apart from two minor issues :

• The launcher forgot my password, I had to re-type it
  • The game played at 60 Hz instead of the usual 144. I had to change it.

I don’t know if these minor issues are related to the blocking one.

Getting really annoying.

Hey there…

Launcher forgetting your password… hm… thats odd. Please can you post the launchers log file.

As I asked for in my original response some months back, please can you post:

• your player.log (game debug file)
  • your le_graphicsmanager.ini (game setting file)
  • the output from a dxdiag report. (snapshot of your system/drivers/hardware)

These contain more specific information that could help figure out what is going on… Also… You mention 144hz - that is a very high refresh rate (translating to framerate in-game) - depending on your resolution/quality settings you will need a powerful GPU maintain this framerate with LE in its currently unoptimised BETA state. Unless restricted in some way LE will max out your GPU & cause massive stability issues related to performance/settings so any changes to those will affect the game… Usually this presents as crashes in game but it can also be the game just hanging on loading screens or at character selection…

After a PC restart the problem was gone…

I will share the requested files the next time I encounter the problem.

About the refresh rate, I have a high end PC and I use 144 Hz for all 3D games without any issue. I never experienced in-game problem (errors, crashes, glitches) in LE using that refresh rate.

But is this a known cause of the problem I faced ?

Yes… LE is BETA and is generally unoptimised… The configuration you chose will affect the stability of the game. This is a known issue - LE has performance related instability.

If you attempt to play the game like you would a released, optimised non-beta game, then you will experience problems. You cannot compare LE to other games right now - its not finished or optimised…

You say you have a high end system but provide no information so I cannot offer a suggestion as to what would probably be a stable configuration for your setup. There are people using systems with 3080+ level GPUs & 16 core processors that have problems… Especially if they try to run the game at high resolutions on maximum settings pushing maximum framerates like they run any other released game…

The general rule for stability is to restrict LE from maxing out your system:

1. Chose a combination of resolution, framerate limit and quality that keeps your GPU usage in the 60-70% usage range while doing nothing in town (no skills active, no movement, no inventory open). This leaves the GPU with enough headroom to max out temporarily during busy moments in the game… You DO NOT want your GPU maxed / near max all the time.

2. Quality settings High and greater are KNOWN to cause instability problems irrespective of resolution or framerate limits. With point 1) in mind, its best to only use High + settings if you are using very powerful well cooled GPUs and are not experiencing stability issues.

3. Framerate limits are VERY IMPORTANT. If you do not limit LE to a reasonble framerate (see point 1 above re GPU usage), then it will MAX out your GPU and this makes the game VERY unstable… LE doesnt need high fps (its not an FPS game) so its better to restrict it for stability…

4. Be careful of driver level overrides and special in-game features like AA, grass, Shadows etc… They can cause conflicts and exponentially affect stability.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.