Steam Cloud Sync and multiple clients: how to resolve cloud sync issue (0.8.5)

Always backup anything before you do any destructive operations like the modification of the contents in the Saves directory. It’s dangerous, and you could loose all your hard work on your characters. It happened to me recently, I lost 30+ hours by being careless and this is what prompted the writing of this post.

This post applies to client version 0.8.5.

The issue

In the process of switching between a prior and next client, for example when switching between machines frequently, you might be faced with the dreaded “Cloud status, Unable to sync” on the next client:
https://imgur.com/8NPS2bu

For me, this happens because I frequently switch between Linux and Windows client, to debug Linux client issues.

What to do here?

Do not launch the game yet. Launching the game at this point could be one of the worst thing to do, since you might find an empty game (characters gone :scream:) and might be tempted to create a new characters which will successfully sync, ensuring your prior characters are also gone even from Steam Cloud Sync.

Don’t panic, read about Steam Cloud Sync, and in particular where our cloud files stored locally and come back here.

Sync your Saves directory manually

One of the reason cloud sync does not work is likely that it can’t determine which is the proper, most up-to-date version of your data. So you will have to manually resolve.

Save locations:

• Linux: $HOME/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch
  • Windows: C:\Users/<user name>/AppData/LocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves
  • Windows on Linux (via Proton): ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/899770/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/LocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves

Using the client you played last (prior client), inspect if the Saves directory still contains save files, which should look like:

1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1
1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1_temp
1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_2
1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_2_temp 
Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta
Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta_temp
steam_autocloud.vdf

…Instead of just:

steam_autocloud.vdf

If you do not find the save files above, go to the next section. Otherwise, do the following:

1. backup the content of the Saves directory in the next client (skip if there are not saves files),
  2. manually copy files from the prior client Saves directory to the next client; all files should be overwritten (you’ve already made a backup)
  3. Finally, launch the game on the next client.

This last step should ensure that your Cloud Sync content is now sync with the next client once you play the game. You can also verify that your characters are up-to-date.

Sync from Cloud Sync directory manually

If you didn’t find the save files in the prior client’s Saves directory, they should be in the local Cloud Sync directory instead:

• Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<user id>\899770\ac\WinAppDataLocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves
  • Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/userdata/<user id>/899770/ac/WinAppDataLocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves
  • MacOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/<user id>/899770/ac/WinAppDataLocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves

Follow the step 1 to 3 above, by using the Cloud Sync directory above as a source of truth.

Additional practice: regular backup

Following this event, you may want to start backing up your own files regularly.

1 Like

Thanks for this breakdown and how-to guide.

This is a known problem with Steam Cloud across different OS with LE - it also used to happen with the Mac version (pre-M1 silicon, now on-hold)…

I have been advocating manual backups & USB stick transferring to get by it until things get stable… The only thing I would advise in additon to your warnings is to be very careful with Steam Cloud with the game in its current beta state… Crashes & Hangs can cause problems with Steam Cloud either not initiating properly (and not updating the cloud copies) or corrupted saves being sync’d to the cloud because Steam has no way to know they are corrupted and causing further problems…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.