Soooooooo tired of monoliths

If I do one more monolith I think I’m gonna wretch…

Every ARPG has maps that you do over and over right? D3 had rifts, poe has its map thing and what does d4 have, those nightmare dungeons?

So I can hardly fault LE for having a set of maps that we do over and over.

Still, I wish there was some more variety in monoliths. Different chests, different spawnable enemies, more goals, a LE version of the diablo goblin etc…

Just some more variety to spice things up a little…

6 Likes

It’s a randomly selected map with randomly selected enemies. I’m not sure what they could do to make it more replayable other than inventing an infinite content generator. They’d become rich, that’s for sure.

• loot goblins
  • invading bosses (a’la Butcher)
  • mini quest npc (like, hey, there’s a bunch of forge armors north west, killem, bring shit, get a thing)
  • random challenges (like, boom, here’s a random boss, kill in time thresholds for scaling rewards like uniques or a big chunka stability)
  • teleports
  • those shrines for D4 that spawn mobs (but faster and more intensive pls)
  • affix shrines (like it spawns in the beginning and lets you choose between 3 affixes that will get boosted drop rate on exalts)

I could go on. But it’s someone else’s job. They’re just not doing it. For some reasons more or less rational.

9 Likes

Monoliths are worse than maps or rifts.

4 Likes

Another angle, since @yawan posted some suggestions:

Revamp the way we fight bosses.

Bosses are fun to do. Pretty well designed and well tuned in this game. I think they should out their best foot forward.

The boss to map ratio needs to be higher. Let us fight bosses more frequently.

Also, in my corruption climb, I fought the same boss 50x while some other bosses only once or twice. Because corruption encourages me to stay in one timeline.

A system that let us fight bosses more often and gave us a better variety would be a good place to start.

2 Likes

Cool story bro.

1 Like

they aren’t

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve gone through all the monoliths and I’m only at level 90. I’ve started farming mode, and I’m already tired of doing the same thing over and over at fast speed. I am placing last epoch on rest for now :slight_smile:

I wonder what you expect from a farming game? Rifts in D3 and Maps in PoE are exactly the same, just longer…

2 Likes

That sounds like a really good idea that deserves a suggestion of its own, if it hasn’t been suggested yet.
Go around in a Monolith, spot a “Mob Shrine” and a bunch of really hard mobs (at least compared to the rest of the map) appear. If you manage to kill them all, you get an extra loot explosion. If you have played Grim Dawn, I’m basically describing the Desecrated Shrines from that game.

Yes, they could use a bit more spice. Some of these are nice suggestions. I’d especially like to see more boss stuff and less Gate stuff.

This is essentially prophecies in CoF.

What do you mean by ‘teleports?’

I’m sure the endgame will get more attention in the coming months/years. The ability to customise monoliths like you can maps in PoE is probably a good start. This is the first full release. As with PoE, I tend to play endgame maps/monoliths as a wind down from other things, a nice diversion for an hour every day or so. It isn’t an MMO.

Yea they likely will increase endgame later on - including dungeons, maybe raids, or even timed events etc. I’d like to see some type of tower boss climb that get increasingly more difficult with modifiers to players + bosses (like maybe no ward gain, less resistance, boss 1 shots you) but end up guaranteeing LP items 2-4 etc. the higher you go.

Monos are like discount D3 rifts where you have to go to a map and mindlessly pick the next one, where D3 would just fire one up and away you go. I wouldn’t mind a randomizer option where the game just loads the next echo for you instead of having to navigate the map. It’s not like you’re going to get anything you want from an echo reward anyway… too soon?

Just a thing that bumps you to a different part of the map to clear mobs there. Or a teleport to a closed off part of the map with a miniboss or large mob density.

Or “catapults.” You click on it and hold LMB, choose direction and it jumps you a few screens away in that direction.

1 Like

Yes, sir, I have. I wish EHG looked at Crate which imo achieved absolute aRPG excellence with the amount of resources they had. They kinda did a little with semi-multiclassing (you can take some passives from a different class) but GD had a wealth of solutions to get inspired by.

I’m pretty sure if Crate released GD2 now after D4, it would have been way bigger than LE is now.

I’d like to see mini events inside monoliths like rescue some prisoners or spawn mini bosses or hit a time rift that changes the monsters in the monolith, heck at this point I’d even take a secret cow level.

Yeah, all this is good, on paper, but when you already need to do 12/15 monos and two bosses to get a 14/18 corruption increase, milk up the monos will began even more tedious, if we are getting changes that increase the monos duration, because all these things do that no matter what, we also need a rework of the numbers of monos needed for the corruption increase, or a bigger corruption increase jump, more thing need to change at the same time

Agreed.

Would be nice if tomes of experience were changed to corruption instead.

Would be more useful imo.

1 Like

Hard disagree here.

The overarching Monolith System is one of the best endgame systems among all ARPG’s in my opinion.
Only the In-Echo Experience needs some extra spice in form of more random things happening though.

And EHG already did add a lot of things to them, it just takes time. I am sure there will be many more exciting things added in the future.

Especially with you naming “maps” (from PoE) I think Monolith is far superior then the regular Atlas/Map System in PoE, because the Monolith system has way more purpose in the overarching system.

What makes PoE’s maps better is all the additional/extra content. All of that was added over the course of many many years. Back then PoE didn’t even had mapping and their very first iteration of Maps was landslides worse than LE’s current Monolith System.

It took PoE many years to make it more varied, exciting and less monotonous.
And I have no reason to believe that EHG will not be able to achieve this for LE as well.

3 Likes