Sometimes the majority is wrong

Well look at that.

If the devs “didn’t take into account” the interaction causing the over-tuning, then how could one argue it is “working as intended” and not, in fact, a “bug”?

Sentinel’s Shield Throw has two skill nodes, Heavy Shield and Forgeborn, which provided added damage but also explicitly state that these additions are NOT affected by Shield Throw’s Added Damage Effectiveness. I’m guessing the devs explicitly added these special exemptions to Heavy Shield and Forgeborn so as to prevent Shield Throw from becoming over-tuned.

Suppose such an explicit exemption was supposed to have been added for the Healing Hands + Ward + Experimental Glove combo in the video above but did not make it to release? Or the devs didn’t realize such an interaction existed and would have added an exemption but only now realized it after the Cycle has gone live?

In this case, it’s technically not a “bug” per se, but it’s neither working-as-intended either. Hence, my argument that the difference between “bug” and “missed interaction that should be left alone” can be arbitrary in some cases.

IMHO, players are getting far too hung up on what is and what isn’t technically a bug. We should instead be focused on whether builds that are woefully over-tuned (or woefully under-tuned) meet the design goals of the game and adjust them accordingly.

If we do not, then it’s only a matter of time before a build that is 10x - 50x more effective than it’s nearest competitor emerges and the devs either have to leave it as-is for an entire Cycle, or they have break their rule of not fixing over-tuned-builds-not-caused-by-a-bug mid-cycle. (Or, do what Blizzard frequently does, and gaslight us by telling us there was an unseen “bug” causing the over-tuning and not, in fact, a lack of quality control / oversight.)

Any specifics as to what you don’t understand as a mechanic?

I can understand the Armor formula or maybe the Stun & Ward Decay not being explained as well, but the rest seems relatively easy to me, even taking my STEM background into account.

Good for you.
I don’t need to understand how ward decay works. I stack up the stat. If it’s working well i keep stacking more. I’m a visual learner.

If you use online banking to pay a bill and insert 10€ and it pays 100€, it’s a bug. If you insert 100€ and it pays 100€, it’s an oversight.
Similarly, if the devs created a formula that should have x4 but instead has x40 (or if it should apply to area instead of radius) it’s a bug. If the devs created a formula that is doing what it should, it’s just stronger than they intended, it’s an oversight.

The first case would be a bug and would have probably already be fixed along with the other over-performing bug fixes.
The second case is what probably happened and it’s an oversight.

It’s not that complicated, really, though I can understand that it can be confusing to non-programmers.
Think of it like this: you buy a fireworks rocket.
1-It shoots way way higher than you would expect. That’s an oversight of the manufacturer. They didn’t account for it when creating it.
2-It blows up in your hand. That’s a bug. It should have never happened.

This is not in dispute. It’s commonly agreed. The only thing that is being disputed is that bugs should be fixed right away, balance issues should be left alone until the next cycle.
Personally, I don’t really care either way about the latter. But I do understand the reasoning behind that policy, having seen the result of both ends (both in PoE where they sometimes nerfed stuff mid-season until they stopped doing that, except for clearly broken stuff).

That’s not visual, that’s trial & error learning.

If your idea of making a build is to explicitly ignore what the tooltip says and only go on the actual interaction, yes, you’re gonna rely on bugs to make things work occasionally. That exact difference is what bugs are.

Just don’t go arguing “You[=players] can’t really figure out what’s going on” if it’s a personal thing where you chose to ignore a whole stack of information to understand things, especially when that information is explicitly what the devs intend the thing to do.

Well, then you’re not speaking to me, since I AM programmer. I’m working from home right now, procrastinating by talking to you here. :sweat_smile:

Yes, precisely, because:

…in both these cases, the ability does 10 times more damage than intended, but the devs decided, based on the feedback poll, that they’ll only fix the issue if it was caused by a bug.

Regardless of whether the over-tuning is caused by a bug or an oversight, the end result is the same: an ability that does 10x more damage than intended. Why should we not look at the ability doing 10x more damage and say, “Hey, that should probably be fixed” regardless of the source of the issue?

(Some) Players are essentially arguing that the over-tuning should be fixed because of its source rather than its effect, which, to me, seems silly and misses the entire point of balance changes and bug fixes.

Call it how you want.

What I wrote is how I evaluate whether ward retention is a good stat. What you are describing here is your own rambling.

Still rambling + sometimes it’s the tooltip that is bugged.

I thought the consensus was fix BUGGED builds asap and let simply over tuned non bugged stuff run until the end of the cycle. Did I miss something?

Same here :rofl:

The end result to the players is the same. But it’s one thing to add something and go “This should do 100 whatever unit” and when you implement it it does 1000. That’s clearly a bug. But if you implement it and it does 100 but then players combine it with other things and then it does 1000, that’s an oversight. The devs failed to take into account player ingenuity.

I think the main difference you can present to the players is that in the case of Profane Veil, it was clearly a bug because it was producing 10 times more ward than it should (and what the skill/node said it should). In the case of healing hands it’s an oversight because it’s producing the amount if should, it’s just when you combine with other stuff that it becomes OP (even though still nowhere near PV territory).

Yes, that’s fine as well. As I said, I don’t really mind one way or the other, as long as there’s a clear policy.

I think the main reason why nerfs aren’t handed out mid-season (except for bugs, as discussed) is because if you do it then you’re actively dissuading players from experimenting with their builds. If they experiment and find an unbalanced combo (again, where it’s not a bug), having it taken away some time later makes you not want to try out new things but rather stick with working builds because those are not over-performing.

It’s like taking a 20€ note from someone’s purse should land you in jail, but finding one on the street shouldn’t. If that makes sense.

1 Like

“I not understand, you is ramble”

Have fun playing with bugs and not knowing then.

People really arguing about not fixing bugs? If you can’t see that 100k ward is bugged, that’s on you. It’s not like the build isn’t functional anymore. You still get crazy amount of ward. If you saw 100k ward and built around it knowing something is off, that’s on you. This whole conversation is ridiculous. I’ve never heard of players complaining about fixing bugs.

1 Like

Bugs should be fixed / close thread.

hey just FYI the discussion continued.

He forgot to close the thread, a classic junior moderator mistake.

2 Likes

No way you wouldn’t think a button that lets you wipe out the whole screen in 1 sec isn’t a bug right? The only bug here is your brain I’m guessing. Punishing people that spent hours on a build? Man someone’s getting emo. Fixing a bug is normal and nerfs/buffs come left n right in ARPG games. Players should learn to move on or enjoy the game first. Players should’ve also noticed what they will face if they spend hours playing a bugged build, everything comes with a price smartie. If I played a class which could wipe the whole screen in 1 sec I’d start questioning if it’s legit or not, and if I choose to play this bugged build I’m looking forward for a day to get nerfed, so nah grow up and don’t feel bad of stuff that’s obvious going to be changed in the future.

1 Like

If its bugged it should be fixed.

My 13 year old daughter knows that difference.

Yeah, they usually pick one or the other (which LE did) then scale it appropriately (which LE didn’t because the scaling was for area, not radius).

But that’s not what the majority of respondents wanted, so…

Which part? The one that wants the most egregious stuff fixed when it’s due to a bug or the ones that are happy to carry one with a bugged & overperforming build (whether they know it or not).

They did/do. Feel free to apply for it.

Why just content creators? Plus there are several/quite a few of “you” in the CT. Just not you.

But then they’d be missing out on an important part of the feedback process.

There isn’t an EHG HQ.

Don’t think it really works like that. 'Cause there are a bunch of people (QA) that have that as their literal job but still miss stuff.

And there we go, the real reason for the post.