So, I just started - first impressions and a long rant/personal thoughts on the aRPG genre

Well i saw your death on stream, and i dont get oneshotted cause much better gear and im sentinal, but still. As to how avoid them i really suggest running in front of them and dont turn back, only to sides. With this kind of maneuvering they will ALWAYS do the earthquake jump in front of you!! and you will clearly see the blue circle in front of you, as soon as you see it just turn 180 degrees and you dodged it, will work even with your avalanch buil, try it, hope it helps!

I always use this tactics against them and had no problem after i figured it out. Only lagging is dangerous against them …well its always dangerous

1 Like

Knew u saw it! I had figured out that they don´t hit u when u´r close to them! Problems start when there´s more than one enemy! But most likely u´r the way better player! For me it´s sometimes seeing the circle to know I´m doomed! :F

As i understand getting close to them isnt scary at all , their normal hits are just pitful, the earthquake is jump attack. The danger is facing them to their face, cause as i tested they jump and do earthquake in the direction where your char is facing(like ahead of you). So if you are face to face with him and close, he just jumps at the same spot you stand, so it becomes much faster and harder to avoid. Thats why facing them with back or side and playing mobile builds is much better.

yeah yeah! Being close to them isn´t a problem! Problem is if another guy casts a AoE onto them, and u have to move. Makes perfect sence what u write!

Being sentinel and using Warpath most likely is cheating :D. You drag the mobs out of their AOEs and be good :D. I tested this with my Werebear tho because it seems rather odd… I can facetank 3 of those without problems while I stand in their stuff. Do you have enough life leech @Tears12 because not only protections are importent but the huge ammount of leech you can get. Maybe that’s a problem dunno.

1 Like

Something interesting about the AI in Last Epoch - it is so bad your character cannot go around a bunch of monsters - it bumps into them. Try it and weep. How can they make such a great AI then where monsters can…I don’t know…trap you or something? All they know how to do is rush you and use their abilities on cooldown. Like in every other ARPG.

i have no nodes in increase in area of warpath or movespeeed, and pretty confident itll work even without pull. Mobs do hit me and a lot…i dont try to avoid their hits much. I use 1 point to pull just to increase clear speed, cause i can gather all of them and kill at once

Imho pulling with big radius is a broken things, thats why i dont even try to use it. Pull without increase of radius to attack isnt op

P.S. how could you face tank 3 of them, its a rare boss with unique name. I thought you cant encounter 3 of them …i guess the only way is through monolith, cause it sometimes multiple unqiue bosses

i get it, i want more tactictal fights too, not just depending on stats, and i dont want to be one shooted either, cause i dont took the meta build, and i dont want insane lifesteal, so i just can stand there and hit(same if u have good stats),
wolcen tries it, it has active dodge(but to many charges of it), its not perfect, and i dont know how the stat and lifesteal progress is there, but it makes the games fights system more fun and dynamic(and not so monoton), or narxia(a early acces hacknslay like game on a steam).
Strong abilities of enemies u can see before they hit, either with areaanimations or attackanimations , mobs can corner u(thats why i want increased density, and have a good mix of different enemy types, so u have to kill a type first)(and think before engage, first sec in engage )
just run away and heal up(like in grim dawn bossfights) makes it not better, for mobfights its ok(if u can escape), i still think active dodge is the solution, so u can nerf sustain builds, and oneshoot/high burst dmg(not by dmg, by seeing it coming), the game would still be the same, just improved, and the fights shouldnt be longer with it either (at least not much)
yea, and before it comes, its a little different to balance, but still, balance is needed
and no, normal mobility skills should be for engage most time and do dmg/cc(and be slower and can have far more range)
and i dont like the bashing mmorpg comparision( i dont play them), but isoarpgs are basicly
mmorpgs without the quests and with realtime fighting

2 Likes

Well ofc my gear isn´t the best, cause I lost gear to rips and didn´t play that much. I had the Druid Lifeleech nodes and was phys Avalanche, but ofc lacking damage! My Forge Guard got straight oneshot, so no need LL there. Forum telling me I´m posting too much, wanted to reply anyways! Just delete my posts if it´s too much! Won´t reply anymore, so other guys can share their opinion!

" A skill is the ability to carry out a task with determined results often within a given amount of time, energy, or both." ( Skill - Wikipedia )

getting better at something by doing it repeatedly is the very definition of skill

2 Likes

Getting better for sure doing stuff over and over again without improvement isn’t. For example if enemy skill X kills me all the time because I don’t leave the voidzone I’m not more skilled by repetition but by walking the hell out of it. There is much more to skill then to do something a billion times untill you finaly managed to get it done.

I get what you are saying for sure but at the end of the day I think it’s more to it. At the end of the day everything is skill dependend :D.

in the context you gave the answer is still ‘yes’

and the same is true for arpgs in my opinion. needing much less time than the first time around to level a toon on HCSSF is skill. knowing when to avoid an encounter, relying on the math behind the numbers or when to pull some strat with lengthy CD that prevents a telegraphed attack is skill. praying to rngesus that he doesnt remove the HC toon today is not.

i agree with OP and there were some interesting suggestions by other contributors. i hope the devs adress this issue in some way at some time as this could make LE unique amongst its peers.

Random oneshots are never fun and I wish to know why 99.9% of enemys deal 1 dmg to my toon and another one hits for 3/4 of my health. I was randomly oneshot today while I played another toon through the story with a different take on a build and I don’t know why. In most ARPGs I know why I died but here it seems like something in the backround stops working and all the dmg an enemy did in the past seconds ramps up and hits at once.

Oneshots are crap just to tell it again but that’s the last mystery in this game so far :D.

2 Likes

Untelegrahped one shots are never fun, so if you guys could write down specifically which monsters killed you in one shot. Other information, such as health and defenses would also be helpful, even which ability killed you (that shows on the death screen), was it in the story, arena or the monolith of fate. All that would help a lot in terms of what we could balance.

This gets my vote. I want to be able to try as many builds/characters as possible, some viable, some because I want to see how a little used passive might tickle my fancy. Most of all, I just want to have fun, be entertained AND have some form of a challenge.

3 Likes

I guess this is the earthquake jump attack?

Barely survived with 27hp left (I though I was standing outside of the hit area!)

3 Likes

Got one shot 3 times or so by that matriarch in 2 days :frowning_face:

1 Like

I´m Talking exactly about these!

I was getting one shot by Matriarch on all my characters as well than I upgraded my gear on my latest character to 100% Glancing Blow Chance and 61% Crit Avoidance and still barely survived. What I hate even more is that Matriarch can jump off screen. No chance to act whatsoever and you are dead. Let me at least see him on screen so I can at least try to run away and/or kite. Maybe we should all post in this topic: Poorly Telegraphed High Damage Abilities

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.