Shift to Force Stand Still

It has been said before, but I want to raise it again. This feature is in every other ARPG and has been since there were ARPGs. It’s necessary to ensure that when you are out of range of a target, the game does not automatically move you closer when you attack. It forces you to stand where you are and attack - the air if that’s all there is.

Please add it. It’s a glaring oversight.

(P.S. if it exists already I can’t find it)
(P.P.S. Let’s not argue about whether anyone should use the feature or not - it’s an ARPG staple since D1)

5 Likes

it really IS needed please add it ! it make ranged build super annoying.

2 Likes

If you know it’s been asked for before and know where that post is, the best way to do it is to go to that post and upvote it, it gets more attention that way than creating a whole new post for it.

1 Like

If you check, you’d see that post is now locked.

This one? It’s still open.
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/please-add-a-force-stop-keybind/63365

1 Like

Ah, I was looking at this one: Shift - Casting/Stand Still

All good.

2 Likes

Right. But the opposite is also a staple since D1 (moving towards target when using a skill), hence why shift was needed.
I’m a shift holder in PoE, but I certainly did not miss this in LE… I was pressing shift in the beginning, but I soon figure there was no need, since using skills already force stand still natively, unless you’re also pressing the move button (which will make you stutter-cast in between single steps). There’s even an option to enable moving towards target for melee attacks.

That’s not entirely true though. The game will sometimes move me closer to a target if I’m out of range as a bow character. I may not want that (and generally don’t)

Please think about a different thread name next time. I accidentally read a different word instead of shift and nearly died laughing.

1 Like

Huh? I was using shift to stand still and left click cast literally until the 1.0 which removed left click bind temporarily, and should be coming back soon.
There is also a tick box option for “move to attack” in the settings.

In other words, I have been engaging with this feature for a long long time and it very much exists. There may be an issue with the left click bind causing this to not function properly (ie maybe it works with left click but not with right click, because it isnt coded to), but the left click issue already has a confirmed fix coming through the pipeline, we just need to wait for the update to bring it back.

Where is “Move to Attack” in the Settings?

I promise you holding Shift does exactly nothing right now. Try it yourself.

Darling read the message again: move/attack has been a function for YEARS, its currently disabled due to a bug. Just because shift does nothing WHILE THE FUNCTION IS DISABLED TEMPORARILY doesnt mean it isnt a thing, we are literally just waiting for the confirmed fix to get through QA and make it to a patch.

There is a button literally as soon as you open options that says “move to attack with melee skills”. You can uncheck it, its checked by default. The vast majority of the skills already just cast where your mouse is, and anything bound to left click functions as normal with a shift click while the function is not disabled as it currently is temporarily.
I understand peoples frustration, but they’ve been too busy fixing the servers which needed to be top priority to fix the bug disabling this feature. They’ve already confirmed the move/attack bind bugfix is coming, people just need to wait

1. I’m not your darling.

2. “Move to attack with melee skills” helps ranged attacks how? Shift to Hold is a ranged issue almost exclusively.

3. I can find no information on Shift to Hold being disabled due to a bug. Do you have a link?

(Found it - a dev response in a Reddit post. IMO it should be a P0 fix. The game has been out a week now, and this directly affects character movement/gameplay.)

Finally, you’re not a dev. You don’t hold any authority to be speaking with such condescension. This is the Feedback and Suggestions section. If you’re going to get defensive over perceived criticism of the game, my next feedback and suggestion is to play some other APRGs. This one isn’t perfect (it’s a good beginning, but has got a long way to go).

You’re right, im not a dev… and I dont need to be in order to know youre wrong? They already confirmed that it was a fix thats incoming (and im hopeful will be in the next mid week patch, since they’ve gotten the servers mostly in hand now).
Shift clicking works just fine with ranged skill… on left click, literally my entire point. MOST skills in the game literally cast on your mouse if they’re ranged: the issue you people are describing is almost definitely tied to this issue, and youre trying to convince me its not a thing just because youre not aware of it.

Maybe next time you try to @ someone for saying an issue is already being fixed and try to talk shit, dont be mad when people do it back :slight_smile:

Really, it’s not an issue.
I use ranged skills normally without pressing shift and without moving anywhere

1 Like

DARVO is a hell of a thing.

Most of the time that’s true. Every now and then it will move you within range when you’re out of range or LOSed. That can be disastrous for your positioning.