Shield Throw Paladin S Tier Build Guide! 0.8.2I

Video

Here’s A very similar build rocking a couple other skills by @LizardIRL

This Build Tier Rating is:

10/10 --->--->--->---> 5/10 >--->--->--->---> 1/10

Build Overview Summary/Rating/Interactions

Summary

• This build is played as a Paladin! Its one of if not THE tankiest build in the game. Ranged so it can stay away from melee hits. This build throws a shield that can ricochet off enemies and allies, hits hard, and gives you even more armor for doing so. Holy aura keeps you going with its ability to give you life and ward every time you block and with the ability to get 100%+ Block… well… You wont be dying!

Main Interactions

• Stacking Massive Block chances for MORE throw damage and Ward on hit
  • Massive Armor stacking on richochet and lunging
  • All fire damage with shield throw for maximum damage

Rating

• Defense - 9.5/10
  • Offense - 7.5/10
  • Empowered Bosses - 8.5/10
  • Speed Running Echoes - 7.5/10
  • Arena - 9.5/10
  • Average - 8.5 (S Tier)

Lootfilter Attached Click Here

Please let Me know if you find anything messed up

GREEN - Early Game Items (1 affix Tier 1+)

BLUE - Mid Game Items (1 affix Tier 3+)

RED - Starting Endgame Items (1 affix Tier 5+)

YELLOW - ENDGAME ITEMS (Requires 3+ Affixes with 8+ Total Tiers)

YELLOW - IDOLS

PINK - Exalted/Set/Unique Items

WARNING: Unused Base Types and Non MAGE Class Items ARE HIDDEN

Pastebin Link

Shield Throw Hit damage PALADIN Lootfilter Pastebin Link

Text File Download

Shield Throw Hitter 0.8.2I.xml (86.5 KB)

Dammitt's Builder For 0.8.2I

One Hand sword with Ring of shield Version

Shield throw Hit damage PALADIN Gear/Idols/Blessings

Most Important Stats

Defense For You (Most important to Least important

• Block Chance
  • Capped Resistances
  • Critical Strike Avoidance/Endurance
  • Health
  • Leech on hit/Block effectiveness

Offense (Most Important to Least important)

• Throwing Fire Damage (Rings/Amulet)
  • Critical Strike Chance/Critical Strike Multiplier
  • Throwing attack speed/damage
  • Dex/Str

Rating System Breakdown

Build Rating System Breakdown Post

Passive Screen Shots
Sentinel
Void Knight
Forge Guard
Paladin

Skill Screen Shots
Holy Aura
Ring of Shields
Lunge
Sigils of Hope
Shield Throw

Social Platform Links

Twitch

Follow me on twitch and watch me live every Saturday night as we put together builds and test them!

Youtube

Here’s Everything I’ve ever done in Last Epoch

Discord

Join my Discord and use the !Search function in the Search bot channel to find any build it is your looking for by name/creator/tier rating/class/master/skill/patch and more!

Updates
  • Initially posted July 12th 2021. Viable for 0.8.2I

Looking For a different build? Here’s a Compendium with Tons!

150+ Builds and Guides in one place! Click Here

Have a good day Travelers!

3 Likes

Been trying too hard to get perfect gear on the old Regifter to push corruption so I think its time for a break…

Time to respec and try the old (new) captain america build again… at least till the new sentinel skill changes drop… :wink:

1 Like

This is real similar to how I ended up modifying your 1 to 75 guide build, while I was waiting for the smite idol to drop.

Going to be hard to give up my 260% fire damage staff, but seeing that throwing fire damage on the ring makes me wonder if the staff even effected shield throw.

In any case, looking forward to playing around with this build. Thanks for posting this

Edit:
After tearing apart my build I see where I went wrong and why I was running into random moments of just dying for reasons I couldnt understand.
Damage comes in much smoother now.

I’m currently pushing 85lvl monos in Solo Masochist SC with a Vengeance Paladin. I’ve achieved very good survivability and single target DPS but the clear is very slow. I might respect into this because the synergy of Block Chance and Shield Throw damage is very interesting.

@boardman21

Have you tried this with just 4 shields rotating?

Noticed my throws bouncing inside my ring of shields instead of bouncing back to the enemy pretty frequently. After removing a shield from the ring it happened noticeably loss often and mono clears went quicker.

I haven’t run into anything threatening yet as Im only lvl 76, so curious if that extra shield is needed later on.

Yeah, that was my issue with the shield bounces to allies node when I tried it back in the day.

1 Like

if you just take the point out of that hitting allies node, would that solve the problem? seem like an easy fix unless i’m missing something?

Having the point in the hitting allies node helps on boss fights. The shield has a chance to bounce off the boss, then shields, then back to the boss. Otherwise it’s a single hit per shield throw.

I think that due to how close 5 shields in the ring are they end up bouncing off each other more than when there is only 4.

There’s a trade off though. With 5 shields you have more protection from incoming damage but the throw might get caught more often.

2 Likes

I mention in the video to only cast shields when fighting high health rares and bosses :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Isn’t that when you need the shield throw targets allies node though?

Otherwise you don’t get the bounce? Or does it bounce off you?

I was assuming you meant that as a mana saving option.

If your not fighting a high health rare or a boss its likely you have mob density present so theres no need for ring of shields.

So you only need to cast it when your fighting single targets.

Oh I read your last message wrong. Read it exact opposite of what you actually wrote.

I’ll spend some time on the training dummy. Maybe distance from target to ring of shields matters.

It was solo targets I noticed the throw getting hung up in the ring. For groups you can target the furthest enemy with the throw and it seems to prioritize closest ally or enemy, so limits the interaction with ring.

After some testing seems like getting a portion of the target’s hit box inside ring’s rotation path significantly reduces shield to shield bounces.

There are a few enemies with large bodies that don’t have a matching hit box (at least I think that’s what I was seeing). Those gave me trouble and in those few cases.

I was letting ring drop off to deal with them but in hindsight letting it drop isn’t really doing anything other than dropping my minion taunt.

The body is the hit box.

I’ll watch more closely but I swear I saw the shield dipping inside the body before bouncing back.

That wouldn’t surprise me, since there’s no body blocking.

hi @boardman21 amazing build as usual! Im just curious how do you use the pastebin lootfilter with the ingame filter? Sorry for the noob question. Thank you

1 Like

hihi @boardman21, only one question…we have to replace Ring of Shields with Smite??
ty in advance

Replace it with something yes. Smite works.

Why are we replacing Ring of Shields again? I watched your video but I dont really understand why